U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:22 PM

48,448 posts, read 30,328,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
First of all, I distinctly remember you telling me that the idea of eternal progression did not include man becoming gods. Now, you seem to be suggesting we can. So which is it?

Having said that, how is it in our "potential" to become a God? There is nothing in scripture to suggest it--certainly not the passage where Jesus said "You are gods...". In context, it says nothing of the sort.
Come on, Vizio . . . what is the "potential" of children? Christ told us to call God "Abba" (Father).
What is the relationship of children to their Father?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM

19,943 posts, read 14,827,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Come on, Vizio . . . what is the "potential" of children? Christ told us to call God "Abba" (Father).
Let's just look at what scripture says. I challenge you to give me a verse that suggests any human being has the potential to become a god.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Let's just look at what scripture says. I challenge you to give me a verse that suggests any human being has the potential to become a god.
Let's not be coy . . . you said nothing in scripture SUGGESTS it. I gave you two things off the top of my head that DO. You ignored them and moved the goal posts.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Let's not be coy . . . you said nothing in scripture SUGGESTS it. I gave you two things off the top of my head that DO. You ignored them and moved the goal posts.
You are drawing conclusions based off of a misreading of scripture. What you're doing is the equivalent of a kid coming home and seeing a note that says "Do not eat the cake in the fridge".....then proceeding to eat the cake because they ignored the first 2 words of the sentence.

Put it in context. It doesn't come close to saying what you say it does.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM

34,720 posts, read 23,198,570 times
Quote:

'Ye are the light of the world, a city set upon a mount is not able to be hid stages Matthew 5:14

Now let's forget for the moment our difference on who Jesus is saying this to, most folk regardless of what they believe in hearing this spoken to them would have either looked over their shoulder or said who me, you've got to be kidding me?.

If he is the light and we are the light, would it be fair to say we are of the same substance?, or do you believe he is referring to us as being some other form of light to himself ?. So if Jesus said you are the light of the world,I do not believe he would getting his knickers in a twist over me agreeing with him and saying I am the light world, after all I would only be repeating what he just called me.

The reason we are sick and need a physician is because we gave forgotten who we are, we look at ourselves as being poor miserable old sinners(not realizing that is the cause of our sickness), so when Jesus Christ makes a statement like you are gods or you are the light of the world, he is tending to the sick by showing to them their true identity.

I make this stuff up you know.( well it saves you saying it), but enough to warm the cockles of your heart if you believe it.

Have I been so long with you and you have not known me ?. John 14:9

As he is so are we in the this world 1 John 4:17

Last edited by pcamps; 12-19-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are drawing conclusions based off of a misreading of scripture.
Rather than dodge the issue . . . what are YOUR conclusions about the two things I posted from your proper reading of the scriptures? What is the "potential" of children vis-a-vis their Father?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Rather than dodge the issue . . . what are YOUR conclusions about the two things I posted from your proper reading of the scriptures? What is the "potential" of children vis-a-vis their Father?
Let's define our terms.

In context, the Bible states we will go to be with God in Heaven. He presents himself a s a loving father who cares for his children. There is no suggestion of us developing to become gods.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Let's define our terms.

In context, the Bible states we will go to be with God in Heaven. He presents himself a s a loving father who cares for his children. There is no suggestion of us developing to become gods.
Where does it say we will go to heaven ?.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Where does it say we will go to heaven ?.
John 14. He will go and prepare a place for us.

2 Cor 5:8 -- When we are absent from the body, we are present with the Lord.

Not to mention Revelation 22, and the whole new heaven and earth things.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
John 14. He will go and prepare a place for us.

2 Cor 5:8 -- When we are absent from the body, we are present with the Lord.

Not to mention Revelation 22, and the whole new heaven and earth things.
No mention of heaven in either of those verses. Jesus said "that where i am you may be also". Well where was Jesus ? we know he lived in the Father, we also know in the same chapter that he was revealing the Father on earth, in the same chapter he also said "greater works shall you do because i go to the father" , so going to the Father was not a reference to making a way to heaven for us but a reference to heaven unfolding and being made known in us. In other words as he was so will we be, where he was in this world, so will we be also.

Crazy but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity