U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:34 PM

19,943 posts, read 14,819,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No mention of heaven in either of those verses. Jesus said "that where i am you may be also". Well where was Jesus ? we know he lived in the Father, we also know in the same chapter that he was revealing the Father on earth, in the same chapter he also said "greater works shall you do because i go to the father" , so going to the Father was not a reference to making a way to heaven for us but a reference to heaven unfolding and being made known in us. In other words as he was so will we be, where he was in this world, so will we be also.

Crazy but true.
Revelation 22 actually does say quite a bit to clarify what the first 2 verses mean. Don't read your own ideas into it--read what scripture says.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 02:53 PM

34,718 posts, read 23,185,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Revelation 22 actually does say quite a bit to clarify what the first 2 verses mean. Don't read your own ideas into it--read what scripture says.
Yes if you want to believe heaven is a place up in the sky.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:58 PM

48,319 posts, read 30,290,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Rather than dodge the issue . . . what are YOUR conclusions about the two things I posted from your proper reading of the scriptures? What is the "potential" of children vis-a-vis their Father?
Quote:
Let's define our terms.
In context, the Bible states we will go to be with God in Heaven. He presents himself a s a loving father who cares for his children. There is no suggestion of us developing to become gods.
This is another dodge. Try to focus on answering the question directly. It was about the expected "potential" of a child vis-a-vis the Father. What do we normally associate that "potential" with?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is another dodge. Try to focus on answering the question directly. It was about the expected "potential" of a child vis-a-vis the Father. What do we normally associate that "potential" with?
Define "child" and "father". How we use those terms, and how the Bible uses the terms would have a huge impact on the discussion.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Let's just look at what scripture says. I challenge you to give me a verse that suggests any human being has the potential to become a god.
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the SAME image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord

I make this stuff up.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the SAME image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord

I make this stuff up.
I think you're attempting to quote 2 Cor 3:18....right? Now please explain how you believe that says we will become gods.

Did you read the context? What is happening there? There's no mention of anyone becoming a god.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I think you're attempting to quote 2 Cor 3:18....right? Now please explain how you believe that says we will become gods.

Did you read the context? What is happening there? There's no mention of anyone becoming a god.
What is happening here ? you're a pastor of the church and you need this explaining to you?

We become what we behold.

Did you miss that bit, i actually highlighted it so a blind man on a galloping horse could see it.

Who is the image Spoken of here ? of cause..........Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ is who ? need i say anymore?.

Better still Pastor explain what it is saying to you.

Last edited by pcamps; 12-19-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Read in context, it is saying with the veil over your eyes(which i believe is over your eyes) you don"t see God, you see yourself................ and this is the reason you keep saying you are a sinner. Those who are aware of who they are in Christ,acknowledge every good thing that is in them that is in Christ so that their communication of their faith is effective, they are not confessing i"m a poor old miserable sinner nullifying their faith.

That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus Philemon 1:6

Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
What is happening here ? you're a pastor of the church and you need this explaining to you?
Apparently, I need YOUR reading of it explained to me.
Quote:
We become what we behold.

Did you miss that bit, i actually highlighted it so a blind man on a galloping horse could see it.

Who is the image Spoken of here ? of cause..........Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ is who ? need i say anymore?.

Better still Pastor explain what it is saying to you.
That text does not say we become God.

Paul begins the passage explaining that Moses had to wear a veil to approach the glory of God. Christians have had the veil lifted--because of Christ. The Jews were blind to God's glory--but we are not. When we behold the glory of God through Christ we are made more like Christ. But we are not made into little gods. We are not transformed into Christ himself, or into God...but a likeness of Christ.

In his previous letter, 1 Cor 15:49, Paul wrote "Just as we have born the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven". We are not made into little gods---we will be changed/transformed to be more like Jesus.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Apparently, I need YOUR reading of it explained to me.

That text does not say we become God.

Paul begins the passage explaining that Moses had to wear a veil to approach the glory of God. Christians have had the veil lifted--because of Christ. The Jews were blind to God's glory--but we are not. When we behold the glory of God through Christ we are made more like Christ. But we are not made into little gods. We are not transformed into Christ himself, or into God...but a likeness of Christ.

In his previous letter, 1 Cor 15:49, Paul wrote "Just as we have born the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven". We are not made into little gods---we will be changed/transformed to be more like Jesus.
Codswallop

It clearly states "in the text" that we are changed INTO(not more like) the SAME IMAGE

Who is Jesus Christ, if not God manifested in the flesh?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity