U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Status: "02/11/21: I am fully vaccinated. Yay!!!!!" (set 6 days ago)

24,213 posts, read 24,656,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynchva View Post
Katzpur... You are not even aligned to your own Prophet Joseph Smith as well as many other prophets of the LDS Church. It is an absolute fact and there is much evidence that even Joseph Smith believed in many Gods and that God was once a man who had his own God who once was a man who had his own God, ad infiniteum. Do some research on your own Church before you make an argument for them... You're not aligned to the LDS teachings. Look up the paper ""The King Follett Discourse: A Newly Amalgamated Text," from BYU STUDIES, which is an anamalgation of several (all are well aligned I might add) witnesses,including later prophets, to a speech by Joseph Smith. It is real clear that JS believed in many Gods!
Moderator cut: deleted If you're going to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, at least quote me instead of putting words in my mouth. And please don't insult me by telling me what Mormons believe. I wouldn't even think of trying to tell you what your church teaches. That's extremely presumptuous.

In a 2007 statement issued by the Church, the following guidelines were given as to what constitutes LDS doctrine:

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency(the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

Some doctrines are more important than others and might be considered core doctrines. For example, the precise location of the Garden of Eden is far less important than doctrine about Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. The mistake that public commentators often make is taking an obscure teaching that is peripheral to the Church’s purpose and placing it at the very center. This is especially common among reporters or researchers who rely on how other Christians interpret Latter-day Saint doctrine.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-09-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,476,024 times
Although I see Mormons having doctrinal errors
as do many other 'christians denominations'.

So many christians are afraid of what Jesus said.

"Is it not written in your Law,
'I said you are gods'? - John 10:35

Now to what level this is believed is the other side of the coin.

I believe I can be like-Christ living forever
to worship His God and His Father as mine as well.
He said so.

I am a spirit in this mud suit.

Someday I will be raptured
to marry 'The Lamb' who is The Bridegroom.
And He will lead me fountains of living waters
for this flesh to never die. - Rev.7:9,17
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity