Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times

Advertisements

Via Dolorosa
(Latin for "Way of Grief" or "Way of Suffering") is a street in the Old City of Jerusalem. Traditionally, it is held to be the path that Jesus walked, carrying his cross, on the way to his crucifixion

I've often thought about Via Dolorosa and now with Holy week upon us I thought it appropriate to share this song. As you think about via dolorosa and the last week of Jesus' life on earth, what images or thoughts come to your mind?

YouTube - VIA DOLOROSA - Sandi Patty
Attached Thumbnails
Via Dolorosa - Holy Week-via-dolorosa.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,412 times
Fantastic post Hoosier. I think about a love that is so amazing it is sometimes hard to grasp.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
actually saw something on this the other night on national geographic..

at least it touched on it.

YouTube - NGEO-Secrets of Jerusalem's Holiest Sites 1/5

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Via Dolorosa
(Latin for "Way of Grief" or "Way of Suffering") is a street in the Old City of Jerusalem. Traditionally, it is held to be the path that Jesus walked, carrying his cross, on the way to his crucifixion

I've often thought about Via Dolorosa and now with Holy week upon us I thought it appropriate to share this song. As you think about via dolorosa and the last week of Jesus' life on earth, what images or thoughts come to your mind?
I always think about Anne Catherine Emmerich and the "Dolorous Passion of the Lord Jesus Christ"

To me, it's a bloody and vivid representation of the suffering of Christ.

Historically, I think of Helena's untiring efforts in trying to locate the land and narrowing in on the Golgotha for the inner sanctum of the Sepulchre.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:15 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I always think about Anne Catherine Emmerich and the "Dolorous Passion of the Lord Jesus Christ"

Historically, I think of Helena's untiring efforts in trying to locate the land and narrowing in on the Golgotha for the inner sanctum of the Sepulchre.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

That is a very interesting comment. I have watched the Passion of the Christ and was shocked at the scourging! To me that was bloodier than the crucifixion. Although that too was horrible.

I know we do focus on Christ's death and resurrection, but many times I do think we don't focus on the death so much as the resurrection.

Sad to say I had never heard or remember the Sepulchre until I did some searching last night. I so very much want to go to Jerusalem and see the places Jesus walked, including via dolorosa. Thanks for your post!!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM

305 posts, read 1,233,811 times
the garden of Gethsename and the song by jars of clay..........where he says..

the hard part is breathing...........

Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
That is a very interesting comment. I have watched the Passion of the Christ and was shocked at the scourging! To me that was bloodier than the crucifixion. Although that too was horrible.

I know we do focus on Christ's death and resurrection, but many times I do think we don't focus on the death so much as the resurrection.

Sad to say I had never heard or remember the Sepulchre until I did some searching last night. I so very much want to go to Jerusalem and see the places Jesus walked, including via dolorosa. Thanks for your post!!
It should have been worse than the Passion of the Christ. I mean, the suffering should have been more intense.

I am a Rome geek. History forum visitors will know of my detailed discourses, because it's a study I have immersed myself in for more than a decade.

Roman punishment is actually "extreme". Mel Gibson was perhaps decent to stop short of just the flogging and scourging. Knowing how Roman soldiers and jailers treat dissidents, rebels and prisoners - sexual abuse was a vital part of the torture. I'm leaving a filler here, you can imagine all kinds of sexual abuse those lawless soldiers may have subjected Christ to, despite the physical torture.

He was also crucified naked. The church placed the cloth there, for the sake of decency.

This is total humiliation for a human being. And one can only think of the love for humanity which can drive such unimaginable sacrifice.

How would Mary have felt, having witnessed this. I know mothers can't even bear sons getting a tiny fracture from sports. She knew it was coming for she was told when Jesus was presented in the temple, that a "sword shall pierce her heart". This is the indomitable inner strength of moms.

The crucifixion was so intense that the apostles hid themselves in the next few days, until the Pentecost, when the spirit descends down on them.

One text from Emmerich says that, "the cross was so heavy that angels did help him carry the cross"

I recommend Emmerich for those who haven't read it. Particularly this week, you can actually feel the crucifixion being detailed step by step. It's a shame it has got sidelined now owing to PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity