U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,027,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfully living View Post
I really appreciate your thoughts everyone. It is a really tough situation. I think I will go and talk with my pastor about it after Easter. I know he has a problem with tongues as a prayer language or a gift used in the service. I can handle it not being used in the service, its just that I need to come to terms with the fact that he/they don't think that the prayer language comes from the Bible. He said that it is easily faked. Which is true. He explained that they believe that the gift of tongues is only used as described in ACTS 2. Didn't have the courage to ask about the rest of the gifts at that time.

I did promise not to bring up prayer tongues when I substitute teach in my adult Sunday school class.

This is so hard for me because we moved to this community from across the state to escape a domestic violence situation. My six yr old son has had so much instability in his life and the idea of moving churches again--I just am not sure how that would affect him.

Also---we had nothing when we moved here and when we got a house and moved in in October the members of this church were so generous and gave us all of the furniture, bedding, dishes, clothes, cleaning supplies etc that we needed. I didn't ask for anything because I didn't want to be taken as going to the church for that reason. Now I would feel terrible about leaving after all of the help and encouragement they have given us.

That is why I thought I would ask about what they believe as a denomination regarding gifts of the Holy Spirit here because I dread hurting them. I have been living with so much joy even during difficult circumstances and I just don't want to hurt anyone.

Joyfully living
The spirit of God guides those who are seeking the truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Speaking n tongues means speaking in another actual language . . . not some magical prayer gibberish . . . and it always has meant that . . . the ability to actually speak in another person's language without having had to learn it or be raised with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, what do you know, Mystic... we found something to agree on. I believe there is such a thing as speaking in tongues and I believe that on a rare occasion, it exists today. When it does, though, it's for a purpose. It's so that God can use one human being to communicate to another when it would not otherwise be possible. I don't believe it is, or ever has been, just suddenly starting to speak in a language no one understands (not even the speaker) for no purpose other than to just let people know that the speaker has felt the spirit.
Moi aussi!!!
Mystic and Katzpur...this is one instant that we absolutely agree with one another...which is rare!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM

27,798 posts, read 15,890,194 times
The apostolic church is the same. They love the tongues but the perfecting of our souls was paid on calvary not in our dress. the righteous falls 7 times. I problably have fallen 7 trillion times, we sin daily. BUT I know God love me and I love Him and I really don't care what others think about our special relationship! Humble yourself to His calling and all will be well.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
I am going through the same situation were I believe speaking in tongues. I received Jesus as my Lord and savior when I was 16, and a week later after immerse baptism I spoke in tongues. Like Paul, I agree if you don't have an interpretation don't speak it in the congregation, but in our private time with the Lord. Is Okay to speak in the spirit. The only problem I see is when you are a new convert/believer and they lay hands on them what if they start speaking in tongues? Will the Nazarenes remove them from the church or accept the gift? I love the holiness movement, and what they stand for. I agree in that they are loving, caring missionary Christians. I have received both advices; to stay and don't mentioned or speak to Pastor and if he does not agree move on.
I am in a very tough situation and is really hurting me. I also have a teenager who really loves the church and is very involved. And I am also a Sunday school teacher. I wanted to learn more about the denomination before speaking to pastor. I hate to leave just because I don't agree with one thing. Help me God.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,259,842 times
Quote:
Hello out there. This is my first time in a forum. I really need some help with a struggle I am having. I am getting ready to join a Nazarene Church but I am struggling with the fact that I believe that the charismatic gifts that Paul talks about in the New Testament are meant to help us in our lives and church communities today. Does that mean that I can't be a part of a Nazarene Church? I really love the people in this church and have gotten pretty involved and have two children who are getting involved. I didn't know that the Nazarene church might have a problem with charismatic gifts until recently. HELP!
1COR 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." Yes, they are your brothers and sisters even though they do not speak in tongues. "For whosoever says confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is born of God" Howbeit, many are spiritual babes in Christ unless they show much love.

1COR 12:30 "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1COR 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet I show unto you a more excellent way.
1COR 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels [there are tongues of Angels unintelligible to man], and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."

1COR 13:13 And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1COR 14:1 Follow after love, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy. But not all will receive it and one should not try to prophesy unless prompted by the Spirit. The gifts of the Spirit are more readily received in the informal settings like home fellowships because those who fellowship thus are more earnest to receive more.

1COR 14:6 "Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?"
1COR 14:28 "But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." Not all will receive tongues and there is no need anyway if there is no interpreter.

1COR 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

The bottom line is, where does God want you? "As many as are born of the Spirit, they are lead by the Spirit" if you seek His guidance. Just because things may not be perfect, that does not mean that you are not being guided because there are no perfect churches. All true churches and individuals are in different stages of development. But if they don't preach Christ as the way to Gods righteousness and seek to practice it than turn from them. All should walk in all the 9 fruit of the Spirit which are not the same as the utterance Gifts.
GAL 5:22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
GAL 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

Old 07-04-2011, 06:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 15,890,194 times
I think if you are NOT free in Him and feel bound by doctrinal law, you need to see what the HS is saying to you. I miss my grands being so involved with church and God, but the doctrine was based on hard "laws" and eventually, the whole fam left the church. I fought with myself everytime I left church even though I was overjoyed to be there. So blessed, yet not satisfied in my spirit. Im still searching for a new church, eventually I will settle, but I just coulnt take the inner fighting anymore- I was set free and free I must be to worship in spirit and in truth.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
If you have never spoken in toungs then you shouldn't speak negatively about it. The most important thing is to pray and search Gods face. If you are fed spiritually by a church then that's what's important. I don't think it is likely to find a pastor or any"denomination" that you will agree with 100%. But in the end we are suppose to seek our own salvation with fear and trembling. That being said. Its not a church that you are worshipping. Its Jesus Christ. Search him diligently and relentlessly and he will give you the answers you seek. May the Lord bless you

Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM

505 posts, read 522,031 times
Joyful: please see my response to Sheila's thread " Speaking in tongues". My response is #28.
One of the worst things we can do as obedient Christian's is to attend the wrong church. It seems all Christian doctrine is not created equal. IMO, thousands if not millions of Christians have fallen away from God by attending the wrong church. Christians by the handfuls leave church saying, "Is that all there is?? I thought there would be more!" There is more. There called the Gifts of the Spirit. You should be attending a church that feeds ALL of your needs.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM

21,726 posts, read 27,696,334 times
Quote:
Hello out there. This is my first time in a forum. I really need some help with a struggle I am having. I am getting ready to join a Nazarene Church but I am struggling with the fact that I believe that the charismatic gifts that Paul talks about in the New Testament are meant to help us in our lives and church communities today. Does that mean that I can't be a part of a Nazarene Church? I really love the people in this church and have gotten pretty involved and have two children who are getting involved. I didn't know that the Nazarene church might have a problem with charismatic gifts until recently. HELP!

No. To answer your question, the gifts of the spirit are on a short leash at the Church of the Nazerene. In fact, everyone is on a short leash there. They are big on authority and their pastors are very legalistic - as is their doctrine.

They do anoint with oil and believe in a second blessing - similar to he Christian and Missionary Alliance. They are NOT charismatic.

I am sure that the people there are very very nice. However they are a really hierarchical church.

I almost joined one. The Nazerenes are so involved with being holy, that they actually think that people can be free of sin and reach perfection.

Who is perfect before God? No one. Not one.

But the Nazerenes seem to think that they can attain that perfection.

I'd RUN!

Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 AM

505 posts, read 522,031 times
tinytrump: Have you looked into this church:

Full Gospel Tampa Church
Phone (818) 885-7730
6901 W. Comanche Ave.
Tampa

It's off 580 (Hillsborough Ave) between Hanley Road and George Road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity