Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times

Advertisements

Where we used to live, we kept a bag of breakfast bars, protein bars and granola bars in the car for this purpose. My kids would help me shop, stock, and pass them out. It was an invaluable teaching lesson for them, especially at such young ages.

Where I live now, we don't see that on the highway exits. Now, my kids are involved with volunteering at the local food bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:50 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I must say that I found your post to show that your heart is indeed in the right place and I commend you on a job well done! As another poster mentioned, sometimes it's hard not to be skeptical when you hear about people standing on a street corner or by a highway exit looking for help. We've all heard the stories about how some of them have been caught with cellphones and other luxuries because they do it as a "job" rather than out of necessity. Or worse, they go out and blow it on booze or drugs.

I also feel the pinge of guilt when I pass by someone on the highway or the street that certainly looks like they could use the money more than me and all I have is a debit card in my wallet.

In reconciliation of the two, I do my best to donate to homeless shelters/charities when I can and drop off canned goods that have been collecting in my pantry for months at the local food bank. This way, the donations can make their ways to places where the people REALLY need them and although it doesn't take away some of the feelings of guilt at not always having cash available to hand out to someone right then and there, it does give one some peace of mind that not only are you helping but you're helping in a way that the money will be put towards food and clothing necessities rather than other things.

And... I don't hold up traffic either.

the kind of understanding the majority of the world's population adheres and adjusts to, and so nicely.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
I remember walking to my hotel room from a bar one night in DT Chicago. I walked right past a couple who were huddled into a corner with nothing but a single sleeping bag.

My point is, I don't think they "were lying". They are homeless for whatever reason. Maybe it was bad luck, maybe self inflicted. Doesn't matter. Its just plain old good human nature to want to help justified or not.

So, I did give the couple a twenty and could care less if they spent it on booze. I would expect the same in return if I was walking in their shoes.

I have also seen the "professional pandhandlers" as well. If they are pretty obvious (and I can usually tell) then I will pass without giving them a dime.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
My most memorable encounter had me looking for an entry level driver for a store I was managing, so when I was approached by a "will work for food" guy, I automatically told him he would have a job first thing the next morning.

No, he just wanted $10 "right now".

Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Thank you CA, for bringing this subject up.

"Which leads to another experience-based observation. Most of them are mentally ill."

So, we are not supposed to help the mentally ill? They need any help they can get! At one time, I tried to base my giving on whether they looked like they really needed help, or were scammers. I once saw a man in a wheelchair, next to a fast food place we were eating at. Just in the amount of time we were there, he took in a lot of cash, then we watched him wheel himself to the side of the restaurant, he stood up, counted his money, and called a taxi on his cell phone. He threw his wheelchair in the trunk, and got in the taxi. He was exposed on tv a few days later.

I've given up on trying to decide who need help or are scammers. I would feel terrible if I misjudged, and didn't help someone who was hungry. So, here's what we do in our household. We try to get backpacks (if out, we double bag grocery sacks) and fill them with non perishable food items, water, new socks,a washcloth, a few dollars and other items that I can't think of right now. I think most of us have the instinct to want to help someone. You never know when you could be in that situation. Thanks to all of you who help people in need...........

eta: I have no respect, however, for the guys who hold up signs saying they will work for food, then will not work! If I see someone who has done that, I will not help them. That type wouldn't be interested in my backpacks anyway. They just want money.

Last edited by Jess5; 04-13-2009 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: add something

Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM

eta?

ETA - What does ETA stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by the Free Online Dictionary.

pick your choice? want money? whose?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Since this thread is in the Christianity forum, it should be addressed in like context.

The person should be helped by following the Spirit's guidance - He knows what they need, and what will hurt them more. Have a problem with this?

Then do nothing - it takes courage to wait on the Lord - Jesus didn't heal everyone that was sick.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Since this thread is in the Christianity forum, it should be addressed in like context.

The person should be helped by following the Spirit's guidance - He knows what they need, and what will hurt them more. Have a problem with this?

Then do nothing - it takes courage to wait on the Lord - Jesus didn't heal everyone that was sick.

and should this not become most obvious by YOUR la(te)st sentence?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Default Amen

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus_antonis View Post
i didn't wanna start a thread on this. But it's worth a try.

Many a time i come across these people, but governed by murphy's laws, every time my wallet contains cards only, no bills. Sometimes i get lucky and quickly help them with whatever i can.

This saturday i was getting off an exit and the light turned red. By the side, there was a gentleman on a wheel chair. The message on his hand said something like "iraq vet needs your help"

it was cold, the colorado weather has still not improved. I drew money off my wallet and jumped off my car and headed in his direction. The whole time, the rest of the many vehicles stood there simply watching the man by the side.

amen!
God bless you
too bad the lights turn green, i was running back and i heard a million honks. Of course, i'm guilty of holding up traffic, but what is happening in this world? Does anyone even remember values like compassion, care and concern for a neighbour, forget christian values.
Quote:
i somehow managed to slip away. I checked to see no cop was following me. I dunno, maybe the cams caught me

I'm compelled to request every one of you who can help, to help these people, anyone, if you ever see them in exits or on the road.

I believe god keeps the rest of us above water and he chiefly expects us to take care of our underpriveleged brethren. A life without charity or help for the neighbour is no life at all.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,710 times
Quote:
I believe god keeps the rest of us above water and he chiefly expects us to take care of our underpriveleged brethren. A life without charity or help for the neighbour is no life at all.
If these people are your "brethren" and "neighbour" the Bible requires much more than to slip them a few bucks.

"Love your neighbour as yourself." If you have the necessary food shelter and clothing and do not give them the same as you give yourself - how can you be loving them as you love yourself.

Jam 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jam 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

Isa 58:6 "Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

Giving them a few dollars may make one feel better but is far from the Biblical requirement.

HK

Last edited by Harold Kupp; 04-13-2009 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity