U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,887,915 times

Advertisements

I want to hear from self professed Born Again Christians who support abortion. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 PM

455 posts, read 925,333 times
Does the Bible make any mention of abortion? Ultimately, the issue comes down to the definition of "life".

I find it interesting, the politics of it, how Christianity seems to have aligned with the anti-abortion camp. This is especially peculiar if there is no mention of it in the Bible.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,877,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Does the Bible make any mention of abortion? Ultimately, the issue comes down to the definition of "life".

I find it interesting, the politics of it, how Christianity seems to have aligned with the anti-abortion camp. This is especially peculiar if there is no mention of it in the Bible.
ummmm....IT IS in the bible and IT'S THE PRO LIFE camp thank you. Your worldly play on words changes nothing but a fallen, sinful immoral world we live in when we murder innocent babies and for what? "INCONVENIENCE"

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 04-13-2009 at 11:31 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Well, though shalt not kill (murder) is a commandment and God said in Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the belly I knew you; and before you came forth out of the womb I sanctified you, and I ordained you a prophet to the nations.

Pretty cut and dry.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,877,962 times
(Exodus 21:22-25)

22 “If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurelyc but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise."

Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Well, though shalt not kill (murder) is a commandment and God said in Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the belly I knew you; and before you came forth out of the womb I sanctified you, and I ordained you a prophet to the nations.

Pretty cut and dry.
So, what do you suppose is meant by "Before I formed you in the belly I knew you"? Does this imply that there is life before the formation of the baby? Anyone have any interpretations of that verse and how that could be described in a bit more 'scientific' way. Like are we saying life is present at X months or is it meant that the sperm/eggs contained it?

Just looking for your guys interpretations of that verse and how it applies to your view on abortion.

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,103,729 times
Quote:
So, what do you suppose is meant by "Before I formed you in the belly I knew you"? Does this imply that there is life before the formation of the baby? Anyone have any interpretations of that verse and how that could be described in a bit more 'scientific' way. Like are we saying life is present at X months or is it meant that the sperm/eggs contained it?

Just looking for your guys interpretations of that verse and how it applies to your view on abortion.

Thanks.
God knows the beginning from the end. He knows us all from the beginning of time because He sees all at once.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
God knows the beginning from the end. He knows us all from the beginning of time because He sees all at once.
Okay, what does that mean in 'scientific' terms? At what point does it become a sin?

-Wearing a condom, thus preventing the sperm from reaching the egg? Sex, according to God, is meant for procreation. Would wearing a condom be considered a form of abortion?

-When the sperm first enters the vagina?
-When the sperm penetrates the egg?
-3 hours after this?
-4 weeks after this?
-10 weeks after this?

I am just looking for the cutoff line as to 'when' it becomes a sin, and the justification using scripture. It is a slippery slope for sure. I am not trying to incite anything, I am genuinely curious.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 AM

3,586 posts, read 5,575,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(Exodus 21:22-25)

22 “If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurelyc but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise."
The relevant phrase in the passage, “...she has a miscarriage...,” reads w˚yase û ye ladêhâ in the Hebrew. It’s a combination of a Hebrew noun--yeled--and a verb--yasa--and literally means “the child comes forth.

The Hebrew noun translate “child” in this passage is yeled and means child, son, boy or even youth. The root word yalad means to bear, bring forth, or beget.

Yalad is translated “childbirth” 10 times, some form of “gave birth” over 50 times, and either “bore,” “born,” or “borne” 180 times.

The verb yasa is primary and means in root word, to go or come out.

Genesis 1:24 “Then God said, ‘Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind’; and it was so.”

Genesis 15:4 “This man will not be your heir; but one who shall come forth from your own body....”

As you read and see that the word yasa to describe coming forth, or something living, frequently a child. There is only one time yasa is clearly used for a dead child.

Numbers 12:12 says, “Oh, do not let her be like one dead, whose flesh is half eaten away when he comes from his mother’s womb!”

Yasa is used 1,061 times in the Hebrew Bible. It is never translated “miscarriage” in any other case. Why should the Exodus passage be any different?

THat is why it is very important to do a word study when reading your bible, and go back in the original text to understand the bible more.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
The relevant phrase in the passage, “...she has a miscarriage...,” reads w˚yase û ye ladêhâ in the Hebrew. It’s a combination of a Hebrew noun--yeled--and a verb--yasa--and literally means “the child comes forth.

The Hebrew noun translate “child” in this passage is yeled and means child, son, boy or even youth. The root word yalad means to bear, bring forth, or beget.

Yalad is translated “childbirth” 10 times, some form of “gave birth” over 50 times, and either “bore,” “born,” or “borne” 180 times.

The verb yasa is primary and means in root word, to go or come out.

Genesis 1:24 “Then God said, ‘Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind’; and it was so.”

Genesis 15:4 “This man will not be your heir; but one who shall come forth from your own body....”

As you read and see that the word yasa to describe coming forth, or something living, frequently a child. There is only one time yasa is clearly used for a dead child.

Numbers 12:12 says, “Oh, do not let her be like one dead, whose flesh is half eaten away when he comes from his mother’s womb!”

Yasa is used 1,061 times in the Hebrew Bible. It is never translated “miscarriage” in any other case. Why should the Exodus passage be any different?

THat is why it is very important to do a word study when reading your bible, and go back in the original text to understand the bible more.
So, do you support abortion or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or