Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM

154 posts, read 276,222 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new and searching for advice..... or something. I posted the following on a different site but it turned out not a good fit..... so here's hoping I can engage with you all here to learn and get stuff answered.

THANKS.
------------------------
Quote:
Anyways I'm a happily married mom of 2. My husband is xtian and I and the children are officially jewish although nonpracticing at the moment.
I found my way here by accident. I was looking some stuff up on google and happened upon your site. It seemed like an open place that one could go and ask some questions in a nonthreatening environment so I thought I would give it a try.
I grew up xtian, baptised the whole ship and kaboodle. As a young adult I joined a baptist church.... One service the pastor started talking about how some members didn't like celebrating easter due to its pagan origins.... I had NO idea what he was talking about so I decided to look into it which lead me into a wealth of info I had never known. I embraced all this new found knowledge and eventually joined the messanic movement. I spent a few years with them til eventually I started attending a consevative shul...... I got to talking with the Rabbi and a year or so later I decided to embrace judaism and leave xtianity all together. Just a side note the Jewish faith DO NOT seek converts.... they actually discourage it.... but I was determined and converted. I had my children converted as well. NOW you may be thinking what about your husband...... ALL the while he is supportive he remained a unpracticing xtain. Which to clarify means.... he has faith in jesus and may occationally pray but thats about the extent of his practice..... Out of respect for me he did occationally attend services with me.
Anyways, he was very supportive of me. As a Jew I got rid of ANYTHING having to do with the xtian faith. We only celebrated Jewish holidays etc etc.... which looking back now was very nice of my husband... I don't know if I could of been as supportive had it been in reverse.... which I guess shows who is the selfish one
Anyways trying to get to the point..... About a year ago I was doing some cleaning and I came across my old Bible..... I thought I had gotten rid of most of the xtian stuff but guess I didn't. I decided to (for giggles) open it up and rumage through to see what I had in there.... Found some old church flyers and other misc. papers. I decided to then flip open and look inside it..... It opened to John 5:38.....
Quote:
You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.
okay I'll admit that sent chills up my spin and I decided to keep reading to the end which of course only got worse...... but I convinced myself it was just a coinsidence.... and put it out of my mind...... A few months later we moved and I was cleaning the house and decided to turn the TV on and listen to it as I was cleaning...... As I flipped I flipped it on a xtian station somehow and just as turned on this station this Jesus movie was on and jesus was talking saying this EXACT verse...... deja vu perhaps but it definitely got my attention but again I decided to put it out of my mind........
Probably what got me more thinking was when my aunt died..... I started researching near death experiences and what people were reporting they saw whether good or bad or nothing at all..... about 90% of the accounts I found were of xtian origin even the little kids......

So whats the point you may be wondering.....

I don't know...... I don't know what the point of all this is....... I can't even explain why I am here posting yet I am. I am curious perhaps..... wishing I could be convinced unconsciencely perhaps..... but yet here I am.......

I haven't practiced any faith in a while....... While I whole heartly believe there is a G-d how to define that I can not tell you....
I don't necessarily ascribe to any faith anymore..... yet I will not say there is no G-d. I do admit I have a heaviness in my heart and a tightness on my neck...... What that means I don't know. I just know I feel it.....
I did decide to go to an Easter service here locally..... (as I posted about in a different section) It was a nice service but I felt so out of place..... It was all I could do not to run out of the place... It was hard to sit there yet I made myself..... Why I don't know.
I guess part of me was envy of what those people there had. I could see the utter complete assurance they had in what they believed. The joy they had in their eyes but it wasn't enough to get me to where I wanted to seek / ask for some too cause I still am not convienced that they aren't believing a lie ....... kwim? I know they believe full heartedly but whether or not its really the truth I just can't say or KNOW FOR SURE.......
I don't know if any of this is making sense..... Its so hard to discribe and get out in a way that others may beable to relate or even help me understand myself...... I can say I feel lost.... I do wish G-d would speak to me to help me to lead me to whatever I am suppose to be doing and know..... I do yearn for what his desires for me are..... I just feel empty and lost in darkness.....
The only thing I do know is I feel an urgency to HURRY...... like a clock is ticking..... yet I feel maybe its too late for me to figure this all out.
I don't know where I belong.
I know that should I come to understand xtianity and wish to return..... I do feel guilt and think about the day of my conversion. While I was so happy and convinced I was doing right..... I stood before a jewish councel and declared my Faith.... denounced faith in Jesus or any other religion...... During those first few years I had a hardness in my heart for anything to do with Jesus.... I hated to even hear anything about xtianity.... while my heart has softened and it does not bother me like ti did earlier I still don't know where that leaves me......
Maybe I need to talk to a rabbi and pastor..... maybe I am just agnostic.... ?

Has anybody ever been here? How does one ever get out or find there way again? regardless of where that way is...... I feel like I'm in a religous pit of void...... I want G-d but I feel like he can't get to me anymore..... I use to feel so close to him but now I feel nothing.....

I will admit that that scares me.....

Another thing that keeps me from any form of faith is all the mythology out there that matches up with xtianity and even parts of Judaism.... which is probably why I am in the grey........ of no faith other than I KNOW there is a G-d....... I hate being where I am though......

Maybe I'm just eternally lost from whatever the truth may be..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Personally, you can start by not calling Him "x".

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:48 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
I would start by saying, Christian, not xtian.

Secondly, I have doubt that your husband has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Anyone who thinks the Bible is boring and prays from time to time probably needs to get saved.

Read John, Romans, and 1 John.

And yes, there is a great urgency as these days are short. You could die tonight and if you have not found Jesus, you will perish. This is not fear-mongering, it is merely the truth.

The truth is in Jesus, seek His face.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM

Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM

My use was not meant to offend....
I used it as an abbrev....

Its use actually dates back to the early "christians" and is from greek texts.

but regardless if I offended you I appologize.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Jesus is all to us or He is nothing:

YouTube - Are You Going To Share This Clip Like You Share Your Sports Trivia? (Paul Washer)

Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM

YouTube - John MacArthur on true Salvation through Jesus Christ

Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Maybe you should have posted this in the Religion & Philosophy forum instead of the Christianity forum, so that you could get real answers to your questions instead of just criticism. There is a lot more to God and belief than just Christianity and you have every right to question.

Namaste

Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM

I appreciate your advice... I don't know my way around too well but will look into that just to get advice and views from all angles I suppose it could not hurt.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm25 View Post
I appreciate your advice... I don't know my way around too well but will look into that just to get advice and views from all angles I suppose it could not hurt.
Don't seek for answers that will make you feel good, for they will likely be the wrong answers as the flesh seeks to be fulfilled. The truth can only be found in the Word of God, the saving grace of God, and the blood atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity