Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

Seems like a few people are upset by Obama's words he used in Europe.

The White House - Press Office - Joint Press Availability With President Obama And President Gul Of Turkey

That's something that's very important to me. And I've said before that one of the great strengths of the United States is -- although as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation; we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values.

I guess the question is do you want this to be a Christian Nation?

What does Christian Nation mean to you?

Would you want to restrict the rights of others so this could be a Christian Nation?

Example:

Would you want to restrict people from working the Sabbath?

Would you want to outlaw alcohol (or any other vice you deem a sin)?

Edit: Obviously the whole gay marriage thing spins threads out of control (guilty as charged). So how about we keep that out of this thread (or try to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

The White House - Press Office - Joint Press Availability With President Obama And President Gul Of Turkey

That's something that's very important to me. And I've said before that one of the great strengths of the United States is -- although as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation; we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values.

Of course, it is obvious and common sense this nation would be better off. Look at schools, crime, the economy with the greed of corporations. Christianity created schools (Harvard and Yale) hospitals, charities etc....This country isn't great because of "the people", it was great because God saw favor in it for His glory.

Quote:
A nation strongly influenced by Christianity

Quote:
Would you want to restrict the rights of others so this could be a Christian Nation?

Example:

Edit: Obviously the whole gay marriage thing spins threads out of control (guilty as charged). So how about we keep that out of this thread (or try to).
Christianity doesn't do that. It was Christianity that created democracy. It goes against the very fiber of the bible.
Moderator cut: personal attack and hijack

Last edited by Alpha8207; 04-15-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:

Example:

A nation based on Christian principles, not a Christian theocracy. You are free to choose how to live your life, just like you are free to choose to follow Christ. The Bible doesn't force you to live a certain way, and neither should any country.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
I tend not to look at national boundaries and allegiences to find my Christian brothers and sisters. Jesus said in Matt 28:19
19 Go therefore[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
The only Christian government is God's Heavenly Kingdom

Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I tend not to look at national boundaries and allegiences to find my Christian brothers and sisters. Jesus said in Matt 28:19
19 Go therefore[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
The only Christian government is God's Heavenly Kingdom
Beeven, I will rep you a 1000 times if C/D can let me

There's only one kingdom, the kingdom of God.

Say, the Pope holds an open air mass and people of different types flock under one banner. That is the nation of God.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
How can a nation even BE Christian? I doubt even the most fundamentalist believer thinks Jesus came to save a nation.

Because a relationship with God is personal, I simply want a secular nation where a person can worship who they want and how they want.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:

no, absolutely not

those in a position of influence use their influence to direct everyone else's lives

absolutely not

Example:

where I'm at on the subject:
I believe there are plenty of values/morals/standards/etc. which many seem to consider "Christian" values/morals/standards (even though they're far from being exclusive to Christians) which the U.S. & everyone in it could benefit from having held up as "The" values/morals/standards/etc. to live by-- but directing or dictating others' lives based on specific religious beliefs wouldn't be o.k.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
I wouldn't even say this is a Christian nation. That seems to me it would mean that the government is Christian, and it is not. From what I understand, some of our founding fathers were not even Christian. It would be a terrible place if any religion's ideals were forced on us. Think of it this way: If in time the politicians who are elected are Muslim, would you want them putting their religous values in place as law? Better to keep it separate!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:26 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
I guess the question is do you want this to be a Christian Nation? yes of course..or at least one that doesnt pass laws that are complete opposition of what hte Bible says

What does Christian Nation mean to you? One that puts God first when thinking of passing laws

Would you want to restrict the rights of others so this could be a Christian Nation? tough question...but no

Example:

Would you want to restrict people from working the Sabbath? nope I have too

Would you want to outlaw alcohol (or any other vice you deem a sin)? nope..what one does in the privacy of their own home of whatever doesnt affect me in the least..just dont ask me or force me to think its okay

Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 AM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Of course, it is obvious and common sense this nation would be better off. Look at schools, crime, the economy with the greed of corporations. Christianity created schools (Harvard and Yale) hospitals, charities etc....This country isn't great because of "the people", it was great because God saw favor in it for His glory.

A nation strongly influenced by Christianity

Christianity doesn't do that. It was Christianity that created democracy. It goes against the very fiber of the bible.
Moderator cut: personal attack and hijack
My computer crashed as I posted this the first time so I'll have to try again. Must be a sign from God!

Sadly, waving the magic fundamentalist wand and making this a "Christian nation" probably wouldn't eliminate crime or greed (particualrly when some of the finest examples of greed come in the form of fundamentalist televangalists). You make a better society by changing the hearts of men, not by forcing them to follow your rules.

It is true that Christian principles are behind the creation of many great instituions in this country; and rightly so. I'm sure that God smiles upon these things. But to claim that God made the good ol' USA great because he favors us over other nations is to fall into that same fundamentalist trap of having to claim then that you know the Mind of God.

And democracy has its roots in ancient Greece from before the time Christ walked this earth. While the principles of democracy certainly mesh well with Christian principles, it would be wrong to state that Christianity created democracy.

Last edited by roneb; 04-15-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity