Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Simple enough..

Whats your definition?
A Christian is someone who a) believes in Jesus Christ, and b) to the best of his or her ability, follows Jesus' teachings and principles

Feel free to get into whats need for salvation..
I do not believe in the concept of salvation

your thoughts on baptism etc etc.
my belief is as the subject was presented to me as a youngster: baptism is for the purpose of the person becoming a member of his or her church community
(it said msg is too short so I'm adding this )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Actually I think I specifically said your teachings were leading others to their death and I even went so far as to call your teachings apostate.

My definition of a Christian;
Someone who love and follows Christ and His teachings.
Someone who believes the Bible to be the inspired Word of God in its written form and does not pick and choose the scriptures but uses them all to form God given conclusions.
Someone who believes in the Holy Spirit and welcomes Him into their heart.
Someone who does not condone sin, not even their own and is willing to repepent of all sins.
Someone who loves those around them enough to share the truth with them.
Someone who will follow the Lord first and not the flesh.

This is just some of the good fruit that discribes a Christian.
See that wasn't so hard was it?

Good job. Your cajones have been properly restored to their rightful place.

However, I'll keep the other two sets in a jar (they know who I'm talkin' about)

Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 PM

593 posts, read 1,794,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Simple enough..

Whats your definition? Feel free to get into whats need for salvation.. your thoughts on baptism etc etc.
A Christian----a follower of Jesus..

A requirement for salvation----John 3:16...For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Titus 2:11-14... For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Romans 1: 16...For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Actually I think I specifically said your teachings were leading others to their death and I even went so far as to call your teachings apostate.
To be honest with you... From this unbeliever, I find bigthirsty to be someone I would much rather listen to about his faith in Christ than someone who is willing to accuse everyone that they are not Christians unless they conform to a strict set of rigorous standards that just so happen to fall into line with what the individual happens to believe.

If there's anybody more polarizing and murderous to faith, it's certainly not bigthirsty. I'd much rather go to bigthirsty's church any day of the week than yours, Robin. No offense, I just find him to be much more in line with what I hope the type of people involved with Christianity would be like.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
My definition of a Christian is:

Someone who has repented of their sins, accepted Christ as their Savior and been sealed by the Holy Spirit who dwells within them.
Someone who believes in the virgin birth of Jesus.
Someone who believes that God sent his only Son to die on our behalf and that all our sins were paid when Jesus was crucified.
Someone who believes that Jesus died and rose again on the third day and is making a place for us in Heaven.
Someone who believes the Bible to be the inspired Word of God breathed into its contributors.
Someone who tries their best to walk in the way the Lord commands, has a personal relationship with Jesus and is able to enjoy the Fruits of the Spirit.
Someone who willingly shares the good news and makes their daily life a testimony, even when they may not say a word about their faith.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:23 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
To all of you waving your big stick saying we don't know how to define what it is to be a Christian, you obviously haven't read the many threads discussing this very topic. I believe the reference to Webster's was made in sarcasm since the OP hasn't given us his version yet. At any rate, this is what Scripture has to say about it and as you can see, I started my own thread on the matter over a month ago: //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...orn-again.html

p.s. If you think you are saved by any other means than what Scripture says, you are not saved.

With the overly-abusive term, "Christian," I thought we as born again believers could actually define what it truly means to be a true Christian, or born-again in Christ. This forum is overrun, it seems, by people who claim to be Christians based on "their" terms, who consider their own path as righteous and discredit the Word of God as being the final authority. I hope that this thread will lead many to Truth, as defined by Holy Scripture. The Word is far from being all-inclusive and Jesus himself is very divisive. Furthermore, God is a jealous God, so let's proceed:

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Proverbs 14:12

There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.

John 14:6

Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 3:5-8

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

John 3:16-21

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

John 3:31-36

"The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Luke 13:3-5

I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

Acts 3:19

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Ephesians 2:8,9

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast.

2 Corinthians 13:5

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

Romans 3:10

As it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one.

Romans 3:23

For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God.

Romans 5:8

But God commends His Love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Jesus Christ died for us.

Romans 5:12

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:9-11

That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead, you shall be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture says, whosoever believes upon Jesus shall not be ashamed.

Romans 10:13

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved.

Thessalonians 2:16

Our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father ... hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace.

Romans 15:4

Whatever things were written in earlier times [the Old Testament] were written for our learning, that we, through patience and comfort of the scriptures, might have hope.

Romans 15:13

The God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Peter 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who, according to His abundant mercy, hath begotten us again unto a living hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Hebrews 4:16

Let us, therefore, come boldly unto the throne of grace.

Ephesians 5:25-27

Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it, that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word; that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Colossians 1:22

In the body of his flesh through death, [He died] to present you holy and unblamable and unreprovable in his sight.

1 Thessalonians 3:13

To the end he may establish your hearts unblamable in holiness before God.

1 Thessalonians 5:23

The very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

I John 2:29

If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that everyone that doeth righteousness is born of him.

Isaiah 59:2

But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.

Mark 12:30-31

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.

1 Timothy 2:5

For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 3:18

For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.

Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Jesus Christ died for us.

I John 1:7

If we walk in the Light, as Jesus is in the Light, we have fellowship one with another, for the Blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleans us from all Sin.

Revelation 3:20

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

John 1:12

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.

Romans 10:13

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Romans 10:9

That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Matthew 10:32

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.

Ephesians 4:14-16

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Someone you don't have to ask are you a Christian, you know by the way they talk, react in situations, live their life, they glorify the Lord and you just know they have been with Jesus.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
I believe a Christian is someone who believes that Jesus lived and died to save us from our sins, has accepted Him as their saviour, and leads a life by loving, caring example.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
My definition of a Christian is one who believes that Christ dwells within us and therefore we should show Him through our love, actions and humbleness so that people will be drawn to Him by what they see in us..His word is written in my heart and brought to mind by the Holy spirit..So that I don't have a need to throw scripture at everyone for whatever reason..
One day I will stand before Him and be held accountable for any harm I brought to his church by my prideful preaching, boasting or for anything else I did to harm or insult a member of His body..But mostly I think we will be held accountable for those who were seekers that loud teachings of the religions and rules of man drowned out the saviors knock at the door..
Now this is a Christian.

Miss Blue, your gentleness is inspiring!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
To all of you waving your big stick saying we don't know how to define what it is to be a Christian, you obviously haven't read the many threads discussing this very topic.
No no.. I read them. See the difference with this thread vs your born again thread.. is I'm simply asking a question. Where as you.. in the other thread.. are telling someone.. like you are making a statement.

Again.. just a question.. wide open to interpretation of how someone wishes to answer..

vs..

yours.

So big stick will still wave.

Quote:
I believe the reference to Webster's was made in sarcasm since the OP hasn't given us his version yet.
So the reference to websters was a lie.. a lie concerning salvation and what the definition of that is to that person..

You crazy Christians (patent pending registered trademark) always being sarcastic with the most serious of issues..

Quote:
p.s. If you think you are saved by any other means than what Scripture says, you are not saved.
So when someone .. lets say an unbeliever asks how to become a Christian.. would you give them your list of scripture quotes?

A bit heady.. I guess thats one way to do it.

But since you actually did answer the question.. your cajones are returned to you. Only one set of Webster cajones left..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity