Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Late last week, the polling organization Gallup announced that "the percentage of Americans who identify with some form of a Christian religion has been dropping in recent decades, and now stands at 77 percent." In 1948, the percentage of Christians was 91 percent.

Hot Topic: Is U.S. A "Christian Nation?" | Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,148 times
I would say no, because the US is made up of more than Christians. We have Christians, Muslims, Atheists, theist, and so much more. We even have devil worshippers. So, I would say, no.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Late last week, the polling organization Gallup announced that "the percentage of Americans who identify with some form of a Christian religion has been dropping in recent decades, and now stands at 77 percent." In 1948, the percentage of Christians was 91 percent.

Not at all. That doesn't change the fact that the USA was founded on Christian principles but as it stands today America is anything but a Christian nation.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
I dunno.. Our 2nd president didn't seem to think so per the treaty of tripoli..

US Treaty with Tripoli, 1796-1797

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:51 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,232,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

I think the issue is more complicated than this one line of a treaty would indicate. But it really doesn't matter anyway, since where we are TODAY is where we are, and TOMORROW is another day and maybe another way.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,028,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

The only only Christian nation is the Kingdom of Heaven. All the rest are kingdoms of this world and that includes the United States. And the kingdoms of this world are ruled by the god of this world which is Satan.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I think the issue is more complicated than this one line of a treaty would indicate. But it really doesn't matter anyway, since where we are TODAY is where we are, and TOMORROW is another day and maybe another way.

My post was in response to bcchris02. Surely you could see that. Let me help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not at all. That doesn't change the fact that the USA was founded on Christian principles but as it stands today America is anything but a Christian nation.
then
Quote:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

See what I did there.. I took a founding father.. and posted what language a founding father used during the founding of this country.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:47 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,232,662 times
Quote:
My post was in response to bcchris02. Surely you could see that. Let me help.

then

See what I did there.. I took a founding father.. and posted what language a founding father used during the founding of this country.
Certainly. I have no misunderstanding about what you posted. I merely responded to it.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:17 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,871 times
Technically on paper; no, but I would feel safe saying the USA is a Christian Nation just because it is so predominant here. It's like saying it's a whatever else nation, sure it may not be listed that way but it's accepted that it is. "Land of Opportunity, fast food nation," etc (can't think of others right now but tons more) and these terms are accepted

Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Certainly. I have no misunderstanding about what you posted. I merely responded to it.
So then you certainly understand that in relation to the topic and what bchris02 wrote my response.. is actually correct.. and not complicated.

Because when I read your post it somehow diminished what was stated fairly clearly in a treaty as signed by one of the founding fathers. I'm not sure how more uncomplicated it could get. Unless of course personal opinions cloud facts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity