Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

I am kind of confused here. I believe that Christ died for the sins of humanity. Yet I have seen where Christians here are offended by my belief that Christ covered not only the sins of the believers but the sins of the whole world also (1 John 2:2).

I am not asked to believe that "Christ died for **my** sins but am asked to believe that "Christ died for **our** sins.

Now then, my believing does not cause Christ to die for our sins.
Likewise if one does not believe Christ died for our sins cause Christ to not have died for our sins. Think hard about that.

Also, since Christ died for all our sins, would unbelief not be a sin He died for?

So, can one be a Christian and believe Christ died for our sins?

Eusebius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Christ died for all of mankind, but not all choose to accept the free gift. If you don't repent, you can't receive forgiveness. Therefore, if you do not repent and ask forgiveness in addition to believing He is the Son of God who sacrificed Himself and conquered the grave, you cannot be saved-you are not a Christian. This is the Gospel.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Christ died for all of mankind, but not all choose to accept the free gift. If you don't repent, you can't receive forgiveness. Therefore, if you do not repent and ask forgiveness in addition to believing He is the Son of God who sacrificed Himself and conquered the grave, you cannot be saved-you are not a Christian. This is the Gospel.
Christ asked the Father to forgive the sins of the people who crucified him. Christ`s will was always aligned with the Fathers. Do you belive the Father answered his prayer?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:57 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
So if one does not accept that Christ died for that one's sins then Christ didn't die for that one's sins?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am kind of confused here. I believe that Christ died for the sins of humanity. Yet I have seen where Christians here are offended by my belief that Christ covered not only the sins of the believers but the sins of the whole world also (1 John 2:2).

I am not asked to believe that "Christ died for **my** sins but am asked to believe that "Christ died for **our** sins.

Now then, my believing does not cause Christ to die for our sins.
Likewise if one does not believe Christ died for our sins cause Christ to not have died for our sins. Think hard about that.

Also, since Christ died for all our sins, would unbelief not be a sin He died for?

So, can one be a Christian and believe Christ died for our sins?

Eusebius
I'm Christian but I don't believe Christ died for even my sins. I don't think he came to die. Any/all of us are quite capable of dying for our sins. I think he came to do the one thing we cannot do and that is live a perfect life. So, I don't think Christ died for our sins but rather lived the perfect life we cannot live and that I believe he did for all who accept that gift.

I believe he came in spite of knowing he would die rather than came to die. The true gift is the perfect life he lived. What is it for an emortal being to die and go back to being imortal? That doesn't seem like much but to come down from heaven and walk among us and our sin when you cannot stand sin is a gift that no one can measure. Christs death was just the transition back to immortal being. His perfect life is what covers our sins.

Interesting question on unbelief. If all sins are covered by Christ's life/death whichever you believe (I have a hard time with a loving God requiring a blood sacrifice but I see it as an act of love for God to come to earth and live the life I cannot live for me.) then unbelief is covered. I hope that's the case because I struggle with belief.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Quote:
This is the way I see it.
I know some do not believe in repentance. They believe Christ died to save us from our sins and that is all that is needed.
However, I find, in my heart that I feel a need to ask for forgiveness daily.
It really isn't hard.
I believe a person knows for themself if they are saved.
God doesn't leave us room for doubt once we truely believe....Just my opinion...again
To the question that was asked...
Yes, Christ died for everyone's sins....it's a free gift for the taking by those who are willing to believe.
Carolina Guy was right.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
Christ died for all of our sins, for any sin, including the sin of unbelief. He died for us when we were yet sinners, enemies of God. Any unbelief cannot undo what Jesus did on the cross. God bless.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:07 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Default Not a true Christian...

...until you become saved and become a child of God...after being tried and buffetted...and cried out for His mercy and forgiveness...and have the greates desire...the deepest desire to do His will above your own, through everything...no matter what it is.

He first breaks you down...humbles you....where you now have a contrite heart...it is according to His tender mercies and grace...David cries out..."Create in me a right heart O God...a new Spirit" Luke 18:9....They were righteous...the Pharisee pointing the finger at another, saying that, "This man is a "sinner"...worse than me!"...(all have fallen short of the glory of God)...what pride they have!! God gives sight to the blind, and those that think they see...He blinds!! Jesus said to Nicodemus..."Art thou a leader...and you know not these things?"...(Back to Luke 18:9)...verse 13, the Pharisee smote his "breast"...(which means he believed in his own righteousness)...but the other said..."Yes, I am a wicked man...I am a sinner and I have no right to stand here in front of you...to obtain your grace...but all I can say is God, please be my merciful Savior" He that humbleth himself shall be exalted...You accept Christ...and you think, "This is my assurance!"...but it isn't...but a ticket you have to eternal destruction...God is here letting us know...Do not come to the throne of grace claiming why you should be saved! There will be no one to come to him in this manner.

John 8:1 Jesus went out to the mount of olives....He talked with them....a woman came unto Him who was in adultry...He wrote on the ground...He said to them, "He who is without sin among you...throw the first stone!" ...(they are so quick with the finger..."You are a sinner...!") It was designed for them to look at themselves...when the Bible says that we are sinners, that is exactly what it means...He said to her, "Neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more."

There are some who show no indication that they are going to leave their sin...continuing to go their own way down the path of destruction...Luke 23:39...the thief on the cross...a sinner in the world...but on the cross, he showed his character!! The one thief was no different than the other thief...but one having no intention...but the other rebuked the other...he was brought to see himself what he really was...what he deserved...but the other knew he should recieve his due rewards...and said, "Jesus, remember me...", this was God's will that finally broke his stony heart, that now recognized the truth...and Jesus saved him and told him he would be going to heaven...Time is fleeting!! The sands in the hour glass are almost out...so it is with any sinner, hearing the news that the coming of the end of all things is near...it takes a miracle, a supernatural act to apply His salvation, to take out an old heart and replace it with a new one...

Mark 10:46... Hope for the Hopless..."Jesus...have mercy on me!", cried the blind man...He hears Jesus is passing by...he recognized that He was the Messiah...many told him to keep quiet...Go to God! Beseech Him for pardon!!...cry out for His mercy upon you...God here is teaching us to go to Him as humbly and as lowly as we can and cry for mercy!! Do not hold your peace!! Do not let people tell you that you don't have to do this...you do!! The robe of his saints is His righteousness!! ..."Go thy way...thy faith has made thee whole...!!" <<<Jesus is the One who made the thief whole!! It is Christ who does all the work in saving sinners!!

John 11:39...Jesus said, take away the stone..."...if thou wouldest believe, thou wouldest see the glory of God"..what was the point?...spiritually...that we are all sinners, dead in our sins...and in order for us to be saved..He has to do everything!! The dead can make no movement toward God!...He had to "Call" Lazerous out!!

Matthew9:10...many publicans came...He said unto them, "They that be whole need not a savior...but I came for sinners unto repentance"...We have to admitt that we are sinners!! God knows us completely...all things are open to Him...there is only wickedness in us who are not saved...He is saving many...if we go to Him, we must go to Him with a new attitude...
"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners...of who I am chief!" Acknowledge the truth...me...I am the leader...the worst...that really needs a savior...

God has these two thieves to be here at this time...to point out to them where their heart is...to show them what spirit is within them...

Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 AM

589 posts, read 1,560,374 times
God offers us the gift of salvation through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. His precious Blood is what will save us from eternal death. It is a gift and only by accepting it that we will be saved! It's that SIMPLE and there is no other way... yet we see skeptics and unbelievers risking their chance for eternal life! For what?

In the story of Exodus the Israelites were attacked by venomous snakes in the wilderness; many were bitten and Moses asked God how to save them. God gave them instruction to make a snake of copper and put it on a stake; anyone bitten should just LOOK at it and he or she will be healed!

God could have healed them right away but he wanted them to show their faith by believing! The life-saving remedy was so simple... just look at the copper snake! I would assume there were foolish skeptics then who refused to do it... just as there are today!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Christ asked the Father to forgive the sins of the people who crucified him. Christ`s will was always aligned with the Fathers. Do you belive the Father answered his prayer?
One thief was saved because of his faith. The other was not. This is clear evidence that not all are saved, but only those with faith in Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity