U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,918,049 times

Advertisements

This thread is for those who call themselves Christian. Please only participate if you can answer yes to the following questions:

Do you believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God?

Do you believe it is the Supreme and Final Authority of the Word of God?

Do you believe it is the source of absolute truth?

Do you believe it is our sole instruction manual for Christians?

If you can answer yes to ALL 4 questions, please continue.

Do you believe there is only one path to heaven?

Do you believe Jesus is the only way?

Do you believe unbelievers can go to heaven?

Do you believe Christ died for all of mankind, and it doesn't matter if they accept Him or not - the price is already paid and all will go to heaven?

Please only use Scripture to support your answers. If you cannot use Scripture, please tell us why you cannot and what you do use to support your claims.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 AM

349 posts, read 931,821 times
John 3:15 "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1 Peter 3:18 Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.

Romans 6:23 The wages of sin are death,but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord

Old 04-18-2009, 10:55 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,918,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
John 3:15 "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1 Peter 3:18 Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.

Romans 6:23 The wages of sin are death,but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord
Hi jadbad,

Thank you for your response. So what are these verses saying?

Old 04-18-2009, 11:55 AM

852 posts, read 1,244,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
This thread is for those who call themselves Christian. Please only participate if you can answer yes to the following questions:

If you can answer yes to ALL 4 questions, please continue.

Do you believe Christ died for all of mankind, and it doesn't matter if they accept Him or not - the price is already paid and all will go to heaven?

Please only use Scripture to support your answers. If you cannot use Scripture, please tell us why you cannot and what you do use to support your claims.
I hope this is okay...will look up exact scripture when I have more time.
It's there.
There is only one path to heaven through the blood of Jesus
Jesus is the only way
Unbelievers will not go to heaven....many will even knock and say they "did things" in His name and they will not even get to enter. Many many scriptures to support this...IMO
Christ died for everyone....but only some will take the free gift. Not all will believe.
Wish I had more time...one would think that by now, as much as I read that I'd just be able to rattle it off like many others seem to be able to do...

John 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
(Isn't this saying those who go to hell will be totally destoyed?--Isn't it saying it is better to be killed honoring Christ than to dishonor Him and live but yet go to hell?)

okay...that's all I have time for right now...but will come back when I get my work done!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:26 PM

12,157 posts, read 14,794,276 times
Quote:

I believe that it is in the original writings of the writers.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:

I believe that the source of absolute truth is God and that He communicated the truth in the writings of the scriptures.

Quote:

I believe that it is our main instruction manual, but that there may be others resources which can be beneficial, especially if they are Biblically based.

Ref:
2 Timothy 3:
15and because from a babe the Holy Writings thou hast known, which are able to make thee wise -- to salvation, through faith that [is] in Christ Jesus;
16every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness,
17that the man of God may be fitted -- for every good work having been completed. (YLT)

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

I believe that they will eventually become believers and that they will be reconciled to God.

Quote:

Yes, Jesus died for all mankind, He paid the price. All will be reconciled to God, although believers have aionios life, and experience God’s salvation today.

1 John 2:2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Ephesians 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him In love 5He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, (according to the kind intention of His will, )to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. 7In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace 8which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight 9He (made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him 10with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the *summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth (NAS)

*anakephalaioomai= in the mid. Voice=to gather together again in one, to reunite under one head as in Ephesians 1:10. (Key Word Study Bible)

Psalms 22:
27. All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
28. For the kingdom is the LORD'S
And He rules over the nations.
29. All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship,
All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep his soul alive

Isaiah 25:6-8
The LORD of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain;
A banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow,
And refined, aged wine.
7. And on this mountain He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples,
Even the veil which is stretched over all nations.
8. He will swallow up death for all time,
And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces,
And He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth;
For the LORD has spoken.

Isaiah 45:22-25
"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.
23. "I have sworn by Myself,
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness
And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
24. "They will say of Me, `Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.'
Men will come to Him,
And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame.
25. "In the LORD all the offspring of Israel
Will be justified and will glory."

John 12:27-32
31. "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.32. "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

Romans 8:18-22
18. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.19. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.20. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope21. that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.22. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

1 Corinthians 15:16-28
16. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;17. and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.18. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.19. If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.20. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.21. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.22. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.23. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,24. then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.25. For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.26. The last enemy that will be abolished is death.27. For He has put all things in subjection under His feet. But when He says, "All things are put in subjection," it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him.28. When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Colossians 1:15-20
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

God bless.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:12 PM

I say what I say not to cause debates...
simply to make one read further and come to an understanding...
of which I am definitely not saying I know all.

Concerning this verse:
1 John 2:2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

When I read my bible...both NIV and KJV...the study editions explain this verse in this way:
God's holiness demands punishment for human sin. God, therefore, out of love (4:10;John 3:16), sent his Son to make substitutionary atonement for the believer's sin. In this way the Father's wrath is satified; his wrath against the Christian's sin has been turned away and directed toward Christ. Forgiveness through Christ's atoning sacrifice is not limited to one particular group only; it has worldwide application. It must, however, be received by faith (see John 3:16). Thus this verse does not teach universalism (that all people ultimately will be saved), but that God is an impartial God.
This is from the NIV....the KJV explains it similarly.
I appreciate all you say here...it makes me open my own bible for understanding. Give me a chance to study the Word!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Hi Sherry, thank for sharing. I shared that scripture in response to the question posted:

Quote:
So I believe that Jesus died for all mankind and that He paid the price for all. I believe that those who accept what Jesus did by faith, are saved today and in the age to come. Since Jesus paid the price for all mankind, all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Colossians 1 teaches that it was God's good pleasure to reconcile all to Himself having made peace through the blood of the cross of Jesus. There are very many (the majority) who have never heard the gospel, have never heard of Jesus, and who would never have the faith to believe, (God knew this) yet Jesus paid the price for them and for all of us. (Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.) Why would Jesus pay the price for them, if God knew that they would never hear the good news of Jesus? Thanks again and God bless.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM

In reference to these verses...
I have a question:
Psalms 22:
27. All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
28. For the kingdom is the LORD'S
And He rules over the nations.
29. All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship,
All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep his soul alive

I agree that yes, that during the ends of times all know who God is. But doesn't it say in Revelation that yes, indeed that they will know but that they are not saved?---I don't remember where! But if need be, I can find it.
Referring to vs. 29----If you read in Job it talks about Job going down to the dust and not being to understand why God won't forgive him. --therefore, wouldn't Job be one who could not keep his soul alive?

Again, thanks for the study time!

Last edited by *sherry*; 04-18-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Sherry, thank for sharing. I shared that scripture in response to the question posted:

So I believe that Jesus died for all mankind and that He paid the price for all. I believe that those who accept what Jesus did by faith, are saved today and in the age to come. Since Jesus paid the price for all mankind, all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Colossians 1 teaches that it was God's good pleasure to reconcile all to Himself having made peace through the blood of the cross of Jesus. There are very many (the majority) who have never heard the gospel, have never heard of Jesus, and who would never have the faith to believe, (God knew this) yet Jesus paid the price for them and for all of us. (Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.) Why would Jesus pay the price for them, if God knew that they would never hear the good news of Jesus? Thanks again and God bless.

I see what you are saying.
But doesn't it say "somewhere" in the bible that He will not return until every single person has heard His words?
I could be wrong...again,,,,,I'm at a loss as to where on the spur of the moment.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I agree that yes, that during the ends of times all know who God is. But doesn't it say in Revelations that yes, indeed that they will know but that they are not saved?---I don't remember where! But if need be, I can find it.
Referring to vs. 29----If you read in Job it talks about Job going down to the dust and not being to understand why God won't forgive him. --therefore, wouldn't Job be one who could not keep his soul alive?
Hi Sherry, I will check out Revelations and Job when I get back home, but this verse doesn't specifically make reference to Job. I believe that it refers to anyone who goes to the dust and who cannot keep his soul alive and in the previous part it speaks of all of the ends of the earth remembering and turning to the Lord. I believe that this passage goes along with others which speak of the eventual restoration of all to God. God bless and thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity