Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times

Advertisements

...This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth;
BUT thou shalt meditate therein day and night,
THAT thou mayest observe to
DO ALL THAT IS WRITTEN therein: for
THEN thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and
THEN thou shalt have good success.

PROSPER. Hebrew ~ "tsaleach"...means, to succeed, prosper.

God set His people above all other people on the face of the earth and poured out His blessing upon them. As long as they were obedient and faithful to Him they prospered in all the works of their hands. They succeeded in all their endeavors.

I love you,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth;
BUT thou shalt meditate therein day and night,
THAT thou mayest observe to
DO ALL THAT IS WRITTEN therein: for
THEN thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and
THEN thou shalt have good success.

PROSPER. Hebrew ~ "tsaleach"...means, to succeed, prosper.

God set His people above all other people on the face of the earth and poured out His blessing upon them. As long as they were obedient and faithful to Him they prospered in all the works of their hands. They succeeded in all their endeavors.

I love you,
Verna.

Yes, all of God's promises are based upon the word "If". We must also remember that the other side of the promise to prosper is God's promise to kill those who deliberately disobey.

The prosperity coin has two sides....

HK

Num 15:30 But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Because he hath despised the word of the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM

Default 1 Kings 2:3-4...

And keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, and His commandments, and His judgements, and His testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithsoever thou turnest thyself:
That the Lord may continue His word which He spake concerning me, saying,
IF thy children take heed to their way, to walk before Me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said He) a man on the throne of Israel.

True prosperity is not the accumilation of wealth nor the material things of this world
True prosperity is much more...it is the abundance of all His blessings, both spiritual and temporal which includes, health, protection, spiritual riches, provisions for our needs as well as material blessings. His prosperity is total well being, spirit, soul and body.

1 Kings 3:14 And
IF thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk,
THEN I will lengthen thy days.

1 Kings 8:23 And he said, Lord God of Israel, there is no God like thee, in heaven above, nor on earth beneath, who keepest covenant and mercy with thy servants that walk before Thee with all their hearts.

I love you,
Verna.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Yes, all of God's promises are based upon the word "If".
There is no denying that the Lord takes pleasure in those that fear Him, and do His commandments. There is both blessing and peace for the man who walks humbly before Him.

The thread however is dealing with God's covenant, a bond between a faithful God and His creation - who He knows to be frail and weak. The covenant is backed not by the full faith and credit of the US government - no, it's backed by the only sure thing - Him.

Now check your Bibles, and see what He says about His covenants. Here's your "ifs" regarding David in Psalm 89:

Quote:
If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
The point is, nothing we can do will ultimately change His will - on the contrary, He changes us to conform to His will.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Now check your Bibles, and see what He says about His covenants. Here's your "ifs" regarding David in Psalm 89:

Quote:
If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

Yes God will not forsake His covenant with Israel - but He will destroy those individuals who break the covenant. God's warning to the individuals within Israel does not contradict David's comments about the nation of Israel - spiritual Israel or Israel by blood.

For example:

Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Ezekiel 33:12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.

HK

Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes God will not forsake His covenant with Israel - but He will destroy those individuals who break the covenant. God's warning to the individuals within Israel does not contradict David's comments about the nation of Israel - spiritual Israel or Israel by blood.

For example:

Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Ezekiel 33:12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.

HK
Destroy the carnal nature within us, you mean.

Quote:
1 COR 5:5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
1 COR 3:15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved, yet so as by fire. 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
1 TIM 1:20 Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.
We think of ourselves too lofty if we consider His will to be beneath ours. We know the truth is not evident to the natural mind, so why read it as we reason in the natural? Yes, we should consider His covenant to be serious, but we should also remember that He is serious about keeping them as well.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 PM

[quote=little elmer;8557422]Destroy the carnal nature within us, you mean.
/quote]

Nope....

2Pe 3:7 But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Nice try though....

HK

Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
2Pe 3:7 But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Nice try though....

HK
You're not seeing the separation of the soul of a man from the spirit, Harold. The soul contains the carnal nature, where unrighteousness reigns in us from the Fall. When we receive Him as Savior, the Seed of His life is planted - the purpose of God's fire in our lives is to then burn out the old man, so that we can be filled with His nature.

"Destruction of the ungodly" is precisely what I see as well. We can agree to disagree, but I see it clearly in scripture.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Default There is no God like Thee...

1 Kings 3:14 And IF thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk,
THEN I will strengthen thy days.

1 Kings 8:23 And he said, Lord God of Israel, there is no God like Thee, in heaven above, or on earth beneath, who keepeth covenant and mercy with thy servants
that walk before thee with all their heart...

I love you,
Verna.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM

Default 1 Kings 9:3-9

And the Lord said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever, and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.
And IF thou wilt walk before me as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commasanded thee, and wilt keep My statutes mad My judgements:
THEN I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel.
BUT if ye shall at all turn from following Me, ye or your chldren and will not keep My commandments and My statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:
THEN will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for My name, will I cast out of My sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people:
And at this house, which is high, every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, Why hath the Lord done thus into this land, and to this hourse?
And they shall answer, Because they forsook the Lord their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshipped them, and served them: therefore hath the Lord brought upon them all this evil.

I love you,
Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity