Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you observe the Sabbath by not working?
Yes, 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times

Advertisements

On the Sabbath You're Not Supposed To??.....Turn on a light bulb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Wow, the Sabbath, which is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, was blessed and sanctified by God at creation for his children "us".

He asked us to take one day, and it is also for our benefit.

I am not in any denomination right now . . . it took a long time to admit this, because Saturday in our house was cleaning, sports, shopping, etc.

The sabbath is not just for jews . . . just like Honoring Your Parents, Not worshipping idols, not committing adultery . . . all of these are God's laws, and if we are saved . . . we will desire and strive to keep his commandments.

Nothing can save us but faith in Jesus, but if we read the Old Test and NT with no denominational doctrine . . . we can see in the NT how many times Jesus spoke about his Father's commandments, the law, the cermonial laws and mosaic laws were fulfilled . . . but the "law" of the 10 commanmdents was obeyed by Jesus Himself, and he asks us to do so as well.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 AM

396 posts, read 837,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I am not in any denomination right now . . . it took a long time to admit this, because Saturday in our house was cleaning, sports, shopping, etc.
Ah, so you are of the Non-denominational Denomination...which DOES HAPPEN TO BE A DENOMINATION. Just figured I'd clarify that for you.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Morale Officer, no need to clear this one for me.

I do not go to a "non-denominational" church.

I am not a member at the present time in any church, of any denonmination.

I was formerly in a Baptist church, but disagree on some doctrine . . .and have left the church.

So if someone is a member of a non-denominational chuch, than yes, that is a denomination.

I, am a member of no church, at the present time, so your clarification incorrect about me personally, but yes, correct if I were a member of a non-denominational church, just thought I'd clarify . . . blessings.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
I believe the Lord is leading us to where the Sabbath keeps us

Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 AM

381 posts, read 798,602 times
i have a job that keeps me working on some sundays or saturdays. I learned that sunday wasn't actually the sabbath but saturday. wasn't it constantine that made it such? anyway, (Romans 8) gives me peace for I have peace in my job and God has blessed me with my occupation and as an ambassador of His manifold grace, I contantly get chances to minister to others. these "should or shouldn't" debates always miss the point. are we walking in love is the Q, and in the will of God? the byproduct is a spirit of:

contentment
peace
trust
love

throw in the rest of the fruit for good measure: against such there is no law..

have a blessed day in the Lord

Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
while I dont work at a job on Sat, I work around the house and yard like a dog.

In many ways, I pray for the work week to start so that i can take a break from the hard work.
I dont keep the day of rest at all. I mean if you tried to live in line with all the rules the Jews had for that day you could not start your car or turn on a light.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
The Sabbath was made for man. Man was not made for the Sabbath.
The Sabbath can be any day we choose to worship God. God didn't label the days of the week so if our Sabbath is on Tuesday, that is fine with God. I personally worship everyday as I go about my business. Worship is not just sitting around doing nothing. We can worship God as we are doing things and having Him right beside us doing them with us.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Yup, I think the title says it all, actually.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
first of all many of the christian comments here are based NOT on the Torah but the Talmud (the oral traditions) which are NOT G-d's words but mens. As for the Sabbath is is the 7th day (which technically IS in fact Friday sunset to Saturday sunset based on the Gregorian calendars we live with). It is NOT just any old day we choose. We ARE indeed to worship each and every day, it is the rest we are to take in HIM and HIS word that the Sabbath was created for. And once again it is HIS sabbath take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity