Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times

Advertisements

Amen, sunshineann, my thoughts and convictions were right in line with yours.

Simeon and what was said about him:
  • Righteous
  • Devout
  • Holy Spirit was upon him
  • "moved by the Spirit"

An amazing list....how do I compare? Well, honestly, not too good! His faithfulness and perseverance are something that leaves me in awe. I wish we knew more about him!

Anna:
  • Prophetess(wonder how that would fit into a women in church discussion)
  • widow
  • thankful
  • Constant worshiper
Verse 37b She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying.
And she saw the infant Christ and proclaimed the good news. I guess between her and the shepherds, she was one of the very first evangelists, yes?

So what does all this mean to me?

A lot.

Am I faithfully waiting for the Lord? Not waiting for the rapture or waiting for blessings or rewards, but waiting for Him daily to reveal Himself to me. Waiting for the peace of God and the wisdom that comes from an honest relationship with Him. Night and day I need to focus more on worship....just living a life of worship....seeking first the Kingdom of God and letting God take care of the rest.

But what does that mean?

For me, it means waking up and making everything I do an act of worship and obedience to the glory of the Lord.

Jesus loved me enough to come here and be humiliated and scorned for my sake and for my salvation.....how can I not worship Him for that?

Fasting and praying.....both disciplines that need honing in my life.

Today is the day...now is the hour!

God bless you guys.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Luke 2

Something I will always cherish is memorizing verses 8-14 and saying this in front of the whole church. I think I was around 3 or 4 years old and did this the next few years at my grandparents' Methodist church. Just a fond memory.

Verse 11: a Savior is born and he is Christ the Lord! I love it!

Verse 13: I so wish I was there with the Shepherds to see this great host of angels praising God. I gives me joy and a glimpse, as small as it may be, of what we can expect when we ourselves get to rejoice and praise Jesus our King along side these very same angels!

15: The shepherds were so excited when the angels had left them. It seems they immediately said to one another to go to Bethlehem to see for themselves this miracle that had happened. Christ our Savior had come in the flesh, how exciting to be able to witness this event!

16-20: After visiting and witnessing these things in the manger, they spread the word and all who heard were amazed at this news. But Mary seemed to just soak it all in. How blessed she must felt to have just given birth to the Son of God!

25-35: This man Simeon was cloaked with the Holy Spirit and received Jesus into his arms. He praised God for fulfilling His promise of sending the Savior. The prophecy had been fulfilled! Verse 33 says Mary and Joseph marveled (to be amazed or to have astonishment) at what they heard from Simeon. Can you imagine hearing these things about your baby? Yes, they knew Jesus was the very and only Son of God, but hearing these praises from Simeon must have really brought it into perspective. I think the thought of this really hit home and settled in for the first time. Oh to be a fly on those temple walls!

36-39: Then there was the prophetess, Anna, who must have been a very wise and respected woman among the people. She immediately came up to Mary, Joseph, and Jesus and gave thanks to God and praised him for sending the Redeemer. This surely gave confirmation to those around her that this was the Christ who God promised. I can just see the jubilation in the temple!

41-52: When Jesus was 12 years old, He and His parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover like they did every year. When the Feast was over, Mary and Joseph left to return home, but a whole day went by before they realized Jesus was missing. Frantically they searched everywhere, but He was no where to be found. After 3 days, they found Him in the temple courts sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone listening to Jesus were amazed at His answers and understanding.

Mary then asked Him why Jesus had treated his parents like this as they have been anxiously searching for Him. But Jesus said to her, "Why were you searching for me? Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" The KJV translates like this: "How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?" This seems to me that Jesus was asking why they were searching so frantically as they must have known whatever He was doing it was for the glory of the Father. Therefore, they have no reason to fret as He is trusted to do the work of the One who sent Him.

But to be an example of obedience, Jesus left with them and returned to Nazareth. Verse 51 says Mary treasured up all these things in her heart. She must have been tickled pink! Jesus then continued to grow in wisdom and stature and in favor of God and men.

This passage of Scripture clearly shows that Jesus was divine from His birth--He was the Son of God! His fellowship with those in the temple proved His knowledge of the Word, because He was and is the Word! He was the Word in the flesh!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Luke 2

Something I will always cherish is memorizing verses 8-14 and saying this in front of the whole church. I think I was around 3 or 4 years old and did this the next few years at my grandparents' Methodist church. Just a fond memory.

Verse 11: a Savior is born and he is Christ the Lord! I love it!

Verse 13: I so wish I was there with the Shepherds to see this great host of angels praising God. I gives me joy and a glimpse, as small as it may be, of what we can expect when we ourselves get to rejoice and praise Jesus our King along side these very same angels!

15: The shepherds were so excited when the angels had left them. It seems they immediately said to one another to go to Bethlehem to see for themselves this miracle that had happened. Christ our Savior had come in the flesh, how exciting to be able to witness this event!

16-20: After visiting and witnessing these things in the manger, they spread the word and all who heard were amazed at this news. But Mary seemed to just soak it all in. How blessed she must felt to have just given birth to the Son of God!

25-35: This man Simeon was cloaked with the Holy Spirit and received Jesus into his arms. He praised God for fulfilling His promise of sending the Savior. The prophecy had been fulfilled! Verse 33 says Mary and Joseph marveled (to be amazed or to have astonishment) at what they heard from Simeon. Can you imagine hearing these things about your baby? Yes, they knew Jesus was the very and only Son of God, but hearing these praises from Simeon must have really brought it into perspective. I think the thought of this really hit home and settled in for the first time. Oh to be a fly on those temple walls!

36-39: Then there was the prophetess, Anna, who must have been a very wise and respected woman among the people. She immediately came up to Mary, Joseph, and Jesus and gave thanks to God and praised him for sending the Redeemer. This surely gave confirmation to those around her that this was the Christ who God promised. I can just see the jubilation in the temple!

41-52: When Jesus was 12 years old, He and His parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover like they did every year. When the Feast was over, Mary and Joseph left to return home, but a whole day went by before they realized Jesus was missing. Frantically they searched everywhere, but He was no where to be found. After 3 days, they found Him in the temple courts sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone listening to Jesus were amazed at His answers and understanding.

Mary then asked Him why Jesus had treated his parents like this as they have been anxiously searching for Him. But Jesus said to her, "Why were you searching for me? Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" The KJV translates like this: "How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?" This seems to me that Jesus was asking why they were searching so frantically as they must have known whatever He was doing it was for the glory of the Father. Therefore, they have no reason to fret as He is trusted to do the work of the One who sent Him.

But to be an example of obedience, Jesus left with them and returned to Nazareth. Verse 51 says Mary treasured up all these things in her heart. She must have been tickled pink! Jesus then continued to grow in wisdom and stature and in favor of God and men.

This passage of Scripture clearly shows that Jesus was divine from His birth--He was the Son of God! His fellowship with those in the temple proved His knowledge of the Word, because He was and is the Word! He was the Word in the flesh!
Great post, carolina_guy, but let me ask you a question.

What has God shown you personally about yourself through this scripture today?

Where is He using this scripture to mold and shape you today, April 22, 2009?

And I'm not pressing you, I'm just curious.

An answer of "Actually, I'm not sure right now" is A-OK.

Just curious.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
37 For no word from God shall be void of power. (american standard version)

37for nothing shall be impossible with God (Darby)

37 For with God nothing will be impossible.†(NKJV)

37 For with God nothing shall be impossible (KJV)

This one verse stood out for me more than the others, I looked it up through several versions of the Bible..when God makes a promise, unlike me, he keeps his. Sometimes I forget that.

Also.. 20 Now listen! You will become silent and unable to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their proper time. Not for sure why this part about unbelief stood out just yet, I guess it just shows that all people sometimes have trouble believing what God says..even if they do have a angel standing right in front of them, good thing God is faithful.
Simple faith goes along way, huh?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
Alpha, I know you'd like us to check in everyday. Just so you know, sometimes what I read, I need time to pray over. Sometimes I don't know what or how to apply/apply to my life. I could easily outline the chapter with obvious thoughts, but I think that would be a waste of my time and not what this reading is about. So if you don't hear words of wisdom or insight from me, I'm sorry...but I'm still here, still reading...just patiently waiting on the Lord.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Great post, carolina_guy, but let me ask you a question.

What has God shown you personally about yourself through this scripture today?

Where is He using this scripture to mold and shape you today, April 22, 2009?

And I'm not pressing you, I'm just curious.

An answer of "Actually, I'm not sure right now" is A-OK.

Just curious.
Hi Alpha,

No worries, I like being "pressed"--it makes me think and strengthens me!

Honestly, what this passage does for me is simply lift me up with amazement of the birth of our Lord. As I read, I rejoice along with those in the passage who were elated with the coming of the Redeemer as God promised. One of my favorite things to read in Scripture is when someone is filled with the Holy Spirit, or the Holy Spirit comes upon them. I think of the times when I feel the Holy Spirit's presence over me and through me--it's such a soothing comfort! If there is anything tangible I take from Luke 2, it's to continue to give praise to God for sending His Son to pay for my sins. It's praising Him for loving me so much to come in the flesh and live the perfect life because I cannot. He also gives an example of obeying His own parents, which I think is very useful for children to understand.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Oh my goodness, I didn't see this.... Hope I can still participate?
You can let me know, Alpha!

Chapter 1

v.37 For with God nothing will be impossible.
True faith really believes that with God nothing He promises is impossible. When you walk with Him, there is His nature within us, giving us that ability to believe ....faith! NO questioning of the impossible! You just know God is faithful and will not break His promises to us!!

vv.39-45
The Holy Spirit, who filled Elizabeth even as Mary spoke, imparted to Elizabeth supernatural insight into the meaning of what she heard. She immediately pronounced Mary the mother of her Lord. A vigorous movement of Elizabeth's unborn child provided a kind of physical confirmation.
And in vv.46-56 Mary spontaneously burst into song of praises to God.

With that said, the Holy Spirit showed me this morning how when we are sharing or studying with one another, talking together about a scripture all of a sudden one or several get a quickening in their spirit, (heart) to the insight of that which they are speaking about in the word (scripture).
He is in your midst....imparting and confirming His presence, revealing the truth! Just like with Mary and Elizabeth.... of course the fruit of the Spirit will always follow, to that confirmation and enlightenment from the Lord!
..... it brings such joy and what does one do.....but come into a spirit of rejoicing, wanting to praise and magnify the Lord...

I get so excited when the Lord reveals His word in a deeper understanding, enlightening my heart and I just want to praise Him and share it with everyone. I just have never wrote a poem to do it....

Blessings...
Receiving confirmation from God is one of the things I cherish most. Whether it is from a fellow believer, or something God confirms to me directly. It's such a wonderful feeling and gift of assurance!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Alpha, I know you'd like us to check in everyday. Just so you know, sometimes what I read, I need time to pray over. Sometimes I don't know what or how to apply/apply to my life. I could easily outline the chapter with obvious thoughts, but I think that would be a waste of my time and not what this reading is about. So if you don't hear words of wisdom or insight from me, I'm sorry...but I'm still here, still reading...just patiently waiting on the Lord.
Oh no, StirringWaters, I want everyone to do/read/reply as they feel led.

No expectations from me. I was just curious about carolina_guy.

Actually, the more I consider it, the more my question may have been out of line.

I apologize.

I'm so glad you are here-- reading, commenting, praying!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Oh no, StirringWaters, I want everyone to do/read/reply as they feel led.

No expectations from me. I was just curious about carolina_guy.

Actually, the more I consider it, the more my question may have been out of line.

I apologize.

I'm so glad you are here-- reading, commenting, praying!
lol I came in and posted...then went back to read posts. No need to apologize at all! Now I wish I had read first, then posted. lol

I read through Luke just a couple of months ago. It was during the Matthew reading here. So I might be slower on the uptake this time around.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Chapter 2

I love this chapter in Luke. For me there are many key points.
1. was Simeon who was waiting to see the Christ so that he may die with the Holy Spirit in him.
Can you image waiting at the Temple day and night being old just waiting..but having enough
faith to wait that one day you will see the Christ and then go peacefully Home. Wow.
2. Anna...also old and waiting and never leaving the Temple worshipping God. What an amazing
faithfulness.
This is great, sunshineann! I liken it to us who are watching for the Lord to return to wait for Him. We may wait patiently, or we may wait in angst, but we still wait! Simeon and Anna's faith were true, and they were rewarded for their faithfulness. I pray we are indeed that generation that will see Him come again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity