Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 AM

550 posts, read 516,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
If denverian's church has any healthy spiritual sense it understands the Bible to be a compilation of individual writings separated by scores of years, written by flawed men to express THEIR own understanding of faith to OTHER flawed men.

Doesn't mean the Bible is no good, but it does mean it's not good enough to be taken as literally as many foolish religionists do. Not even you take it as literally as you think you do---otherwise you would be demanding we burn or drown the growing number of Wiccan witches in this country because, "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live among you."

Or maybe you DO advocate that?

Nope I don't hate homosexuals either or want to keep them out of churches filled with gluttons and divorced and remarried folks, the latter group comprising 50% of the nation having done irreparable damage to traditional family "values," while many of them blame it on the five or six percent of homosexuals in this country. Those practicing homosexuals are in as much need of God as we practicing gluttons and adulterers. Heard a lot of sermons against gluttony and divorce/remarriage have you? No, because those sins are far more prevalent than homosexuality. No preacher or priest is going to incur the unrighteous indignation of his sinning congregation by informing them that they are living in sin before almighty God.

I'm happy to live in a city with denverian, where I know at least one other practicing Christian has a heart---and a brain, too.

Then what good is repentance if none of these people are trying to repent?

Homosexuals can't have their cake and eat it too..neither can murderers....liars....or.....gluttons.

keyword: Repent. (to turn away from)

And YOU can live in a city filled with unrepentant folk all you want, but I'd much rather live in one where they work to cast off those sins, not embrace them. God hates ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post

Homosexuals can't have their cake and eat it too..neither can murderers....liars....or.....gluttons.

And YOU can live in a city filled with unrepentant folk all you want, but I'd much rather live in one where they work to cast off those sins, not embrace them. God hates ugly.
The whole city? Everyone is workin' hard to cast off sin?

Wow. No donut shops, I take it. No places to buy a Big Glup. No one eats biscuits and gravy. Everyone has had one spouse and the divorce attorneys have all left. No one goes above the speed limit and if something gets swiped from a front porch (prolly by a heathen from another town) no one calls the cops. Instead, the victim immediately forgives the thief and his sorry soul and sits and waits until he comes back so he can hear the Good News and turn from his life of stealing potted begonias.

I'd guess this place would have to be in the Bible Belt and have a big ol' sign at the city limit saying, "No Gays Allowed!!"

Unfortunately for the residents of the town it's illegal to discriminate. But what would they care? They're busy seeing who can be more 'holier than thou'.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-01-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Wow. No donut shops, I take it. No places to buy a Big Glup. No one eats biscuits and gravy. Everyone has had one spouse and the divorce attorneys have all left. No one goes above the speed limit and if something gets swiped from a front porch (prolly by a heathen from another town) no one calls the cops. Instead, the victim immediately forgives the thief and his sorry soul and sits and waits until he comes back so he can hear the Good News and turn from his life of stealing potted begonias.

I'd guess this place would have to be in the Bible Belt and have a big ol' sign at the city limit saying, "No Gays Allowed!!"

Unfortunately for the residents of the town it's illegal to discriminate. But what would they care? They're busy seeing who can be more 'holier than thou'.
Kaching!!! You just nailed the biggest sin of all Christians straight to the cross. Nowhere did Jesus Himself openly condemn gays. Nowhere did He, Himself treat women as nice, lovable chattel, nowhere did He refuse to eat with drunkards, publicans, tax collectors, or other sinners. In fact He sought them out!!! So I'm staying in a city full of sinners and potheads in order to witness with the way I LIVE my life, rather than lecturing others about how to live theirs.

I always thought I was supposed to get the log out of my own eye before looking to clean up other people's acts.

I'm thinking folks like the poster before you would be more than happy to chunk the first rock when Jesus said "Let he among you without sin cast the first stone." In fact, the first stone might be directed at Jesus, Himself!

Nice observation, DewDropInn.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Kaching!!! You just nailed the biggest sin of all Christians straight to the cross. Nowhere did Jesus Himself openly condemn gays. Nowhere did He, Himself treat women as nice, lovable chattel, nowhere did He refuse to eat with drunkards, publicans, tax collectors, or other sinners. In fact He sought them out!!! So I'm staying in a city full of sinners and potheads in order to witness with the way I LIVE my life, rather than lecturing others about how to live theirs.
I always thought I was supposed to get the log out of my own eye before looking to clean up other people's acts.
I'm thinking folks like the poster before you would be more than happy to chunk the first rock when Jesus said "Let he among you without sin cast the first stone." In fact, the first stone might be directed at Jesus, Himself!
Nice observation, DewDropInn.
Wonderful witness and approbation, Dew and Warden!!! The Spirit is strong in you. Can't rep either of you yet.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM

the condemnation of Homosexuality can be found in

Leviticus 20:13

the Scripture that destroys the act of Homosexuality and those who practice it. the scripture that Gays avoid the most.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:43 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:

the Scripture that destroys the act of Homosexuality and those who practice it. the scripture that Gays avoid the most.
Leviticus condemns many, many behaviours. I'm sure you follow them all. Here's the first 15:

1. Burning any yeast or honey in offerings to God (2:11)
2. Failing to include salt in offerings to God (2:13)
3. Eating fat (3:17)
4. Eating blood (3:17)
5. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve witnessed (5:1)
6. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve been told about (5:1)
7. Touching an unclean animal (5:2)
8. Carelessly making an oath (5:4)
9. Deceiving a neighbour about something trusted to them (6:2)
10. Finding lost property and lying about it (6:3)
11. Bringing unauthorised fire before God (10:1)
12. Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6)
13. Tearing your clothes (10:6)
14. Drinking alcohol in holy places (10:9)
15. Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (11:4-7)

Complete List.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:

What type of heaven would it be if the likes of our favorite protaganist, Hitler, his sometimes buddy, Stalin, Po Pot, Jeffrey Dalmar, and like individuals, on thier deathbeds 'repented' truly in their hearts, accept Jesus as christians see that entity, and get a 'don't go to jail' card.

Now, contrast that to the doctor who rather than establish a New York City clinic to pull in $$$, works in the disease infected areas of Africa, but dies of a horrible disease like ebola.

He was a buddhist, not a christian.

Who would you rather spend eternity with?

Contemplate this:

Old 07-01-2014, 10:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:

As I have been told so many times, that is the OLD covenant.*

*Atheist teaching the bible to theists

Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What type of heaven would it be if the likes of our favorite protaganist, Hitler, his sometimes buddy, Stalin, Po Pot, Jeffrey Dalmar, and like individuals, on thier deathbeds 'repented' truly in their hearts, accept Jesus as christians see that entity, and get a 'don't go to jail' card.

Now, contrast that to the doctor who rather than establish a New York City clinic to pull in $$$, works in the disease infected areas of Africa, but dies of a horrible disease like ebola.

He was a buddhist, not a christian.

Who would you rather spend eternity with?
Those characters are in Hell as we speak. They never made it to Heaven and never will. Because they never repented of their wickedness unto death.

And Buddhism is considered a heathen false God religion in the Bible. So that Doctor is in Hell also.

I would rather spend it with somebody who confessed their sins outloud before mankind and the Lord. Because the mere utterance of words, GOD hears.

Contemplate this:

Good thing GOD will judge our hearts and NOT our vain words when we die..

Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
As I have been told so many times, that is the OLD covenant.*

*Atheist teaching the bible to theists
Old or New Testament, GOD Laws are not done away with. Jesus stated clearly that he came to teach and return to fulfill the Laws of GOD in the Bible.

So Unless you got a VIP seat in heaven courtesy of GOD himself, you are playing with fire, literally. Because He said he would return with Fire the next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity