Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I don't think you've earned the right to tell anyone at all that their subjective interpretation is incorrect or, for that matter, that their interpretation is "false doctrine." It is you who are acting as the judge and jury in the determination of what is "true" and "false" doctrine when you bring up charges of "Un-Biblical-Ness."
Just a quick question GCS: if a teaching is not in the Bible, do you consider that to be unbiblical? In other words, would you consider Mohammed being visited by the angel Gabriel to be unbiblical teaching as it is not found in the Bible? Would you consider evolution, the big bang theory for example, to be unbiblical as it goes against 6 days of creation? Would you say I am in the right for saying such things are unbiblical whether you agree with me or not? You may consider my belief to be wrong, but would you think I am in the wrong for saying these things are unbiblical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I'm curious Hot, what in the world do YOU believe? You have been attacking Carolina Guy since the inception of this thread and in others, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Since you came to this board, I have never been able to figure you out. When you first came you did the exact same thing to me that you are doing to C_g. Wat up??

Are YOU a mystic? Are you even a Christian? There was only one time that you and I agreed and that was pretty recently. I'm reading this thread and watching the attacking go on and on and on.....what is your beef with fundamental Christians?? How about answering this "test" that you keep referring to and letting us all know what it is that YOU are all about?? It appears to me that your belief system changes daily, whichever way the wind is blowing.
Thank you DotL. Let me know when Hot gets back to you.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
But when I saw that June was attacked, sorry, I jumped in feet first. Been here ever since, making sure it is more on an even playing field.
When was June attacked?

Quote:
Good! Why would I want anyone to 'figure me out'? I sometimes cannot figure my own kids out through their process of growth, except for having been there myself, and what my experience has taught me. When it comes to Spiritual Growth, who has that answer to figure out ANYONE?
Why wouldn't you want people to know where you stand? Does your belief "go with the wind" as mentioned earlier?

Quote:
And now you no longer do the same things that C-G is doing. I applaud you for that, for you yourself are maturing. Sorry, if you cannot see that.
And what exactly is that? Are you a mystic? Did this OP offend you?

Quote:
I only wish that I were more so. I do not have the discipline that being a meditator requires. I have enough problems finding enough solitude to pray, and when I do, it brings me a CERTAIN peace that my Father is hearing me.
Ok, so you wish you were a mystic even though this very mysticism we are discussing is unbiblical? I guess I'll have to get back to Bluefly's post to respond to each of his answers. If I showed you in Scripture where he is wrong on those accounts, what would you think about Bluefly's brand of mysticism then? Would you want to explore his beliefs more and follow his path?

Quote:
If you mean if I am a Christian based upon a set of creeds developed 1600 years ago, probably not. My conscience mind and spirit is outside the box of religion. I can appreciate them ALL, and the beauty. See, my Father is not just the Father of a certain sect, or religion, but of the entirety of His creation.
Why can't you just base it on what the Scriptures have to say? Do you not trust ANY translation? Do you not believe in the very basics of the Gospel?

Quote:
Even the babes in Christ are on their own spiritual journey.
Show me ONE post where any of us (fundies) have attacked a new Christian? I have no stones to cast.
Quote:
How about not. As stated above, my journey might take me down another path, and I surely hope it does. My fundamental core beliefs will never change, as they are built upon the Foundation of ALL Corner Stones.
What are the Foundation of ALL Corner Stones? Are these other major religions? Is the journey you hope to find outside of Christianity?

Quote:
These muddy waters of my mind are being cleared daily, and throughout all this, my brainwashed processing of religious indoctrination from my youth, has made this very rough. Thankfully my children will never suffer this garbage, for they will be free thinking enlightened souls, who know the Father, and His Glorious Son. They will know that if they have a problem with scriptures, they can REASON it out with Father for the answers, as i have learned to do.
Do you trust the Bible? Do you read and study it often? How do you reason it out with God?

Quote:
So where the Spirit bloweth, let it just pass my way, and enlighten my soul further, is my prayer. How much Truth can ANY man/woman handle. We couldn't handle that much Truth at once. We would go mad without the Spirit as a guide. Why don't you let him be the guide? And the bottom line is, that is what most mystics do, from the start.
Does the spirit you follow line up with the Word of God?

This 'good news' that condemns billions to eternal hellfire. [/quote]

So you don't believe in hell for those who reject Christ? Do you have Scripture to support that?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
A mystic Christian is still a Christian.
A universalist Christian is still a Christian.
A Christian is still a Christian, if that makes any sense.

Now my question to you would be this.

Could a person who is not on ANY journey to seek out the Kingdom of God, and just did some religious rig-a-ra-mo rituals still be called Christian?
What is your definition of a Christian? What does the Bible say?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post

What are the Foundation of ALL Corner Stones? Are these other major religions? Is the journey you hope to find outside of Christianity?

Ephesians 2:19-22

It's "biblical."

Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Just a quick question GCS: if a teaching is not in the Bible, do you consider that to be unbiblical? In other words, would you consider Mohammed being visited by the angel Gabriel to be unbiblical teaching as it is not found in the Bible? Would you consider evolution, the big bang theory for example, to be unbiblical as it goes against 6 days of creation? Would you say I am in the right for saying such things are unbiblical whether you agree with me or not? You may consider my belief to be wrong, but would you think I am in the wrong for saying these things are unbiblical?
Where does it stop? Do we disregard Newtonian physics? Do we disregard the paintings of Michaelangelo? The inventions of Da Vinci? Galileo's discoveries that the earth is not the center of the universe or the realization that the world is round? The American political system? The discovery of oil and electricity? The mass produced automobile and the computer that you type on everyday?

None of those are in the Bible. That may seem obvious to most, but when you claim that the advances of science that led to the big bang theory and understanding the process of evolution are not in a book, thereby they are not true, your claims make no sense. Do we just ignore the vast advances humanity has made in order to live Biblically?

Perhaps I misunderstand you on this point.

Either way, mysticism is in the Bible, so therefore it is Biblical!

Simple!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Thank you DotL. Let me know when Hot gets back to you.
Looks like you found it. Thanks, I'm weary.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
You see, I think that's one of the major problems with literalism, carolina_guy.

I would find it quite shocking and almost disturbing if God, in all of his omnipotence, decided to send Jesus to Earth at a time when man was technologically, scientifically, emotionally, and mentally "challenged" and preferred us to stay that way.

So, yeah, the theory of evolution, the Big Bang, the Eiffel Tower, Picasso, Beethoven, Steinbeck, Freud, etc... They're not in the Bible and I suppose that one could consider them to be "un-Biblical" but think about all of the wonderful things one would be shut out from if every single thing in their life was governed by whether or not it was mentioned in the Bible.

If you really want to take things that literally, my recommendation is to revert to being a Bronze Age goatherder because the life and times of Jesus were mainly centered around the people of a civilization that were essentially just that - Bronze Age goatherders.

I'm rather certain that if Jesus came down to Earth in this day and age, he might voice his opinion on a variety of different things that he never mentioned back then because there was literally no conception of them. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to a bunch of goatherders to talk to them about global warming or the beauty of Beethoven's music or the fantastic insight that biologists and physicists would one day have in regards to the theory of evolution or the Big Bang.

I think if one makes an attempt at shutting oneself out of all that is out there to lead a life as strictly to the letter of the Bible then they are not really living up to the purpose of their life at all and I don't imagine that a book meant (whether divinely or not) to fulfill the lives of so many people would be so anti-intellectual.

What I meant by saying things were "un-Biblical" and correcting someone on it, for example, would be like correcting a 'strawman' argument about the Bible such as claiming that this exists in the Bible:

"Jesus had a harem of concubines that followed him around and cooked him dinner every night. Therefore, I believe that it's my right to have a harem of concubines that follow me around and cook dinner for me every night."

P.S. - I don't think you're wrong, per se, about correcting people about your beliefs but I think you're very ineffective in the fashion that you throw your understanding of Christ around because by claiming other people are wrong you make it seem as though you have the monopoly on the truth and that's discouraging to all of us who are on the 'outside' and, I imagine, probably those who are on the 'inside' as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Ephesians 2:19-22

It's "biblical."
Sorry, june, but that's not exactly what he said:

Ephesians 2

20And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Your mistake is in believing that YOUR literal reading and understanding of what is in the bible, especially the OT . . . is Christian . . . it is Biblean or Jehovan or Yahwehan but definitely NOT Christian, IMO. How does that feel, carolina . . . why do you believe YOU are more qualified to say those things about someone else's Christianity than I am or anyone else for that matter?

Fundies conduct themselves like self-righteous irritating egotists with a God complex about their understanding of the spiritual messages in scripture. They congratulate each other on their literal "beliefs" ( i.e. their REASONS) for their spiritual quest to be with God. They condemn others for any REASONS that disagree with theirs for the same quest. It simply resembles pathetic egotism run amok . . . regardless what they THINK their motives are, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity