Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times

Advertisements

Huh?!? Fundie. You're creating your own definitions out of thin air to serve your agenda. You're trying to insinuate that people who are not chained to a specific ideology are just wafting in the breeze for whatever ideas might drift by.

The reason educated people tend to not be religious extremists is because they are exposed to various perspectives on an issue and deduce a conclusion from such analysis.

Open-mindedness is not simply accepting every idea as true. It's being open to consider every idea. Yes. Let it in, assess it, and either push it out of keep it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:18 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Huh?!? Fundie. You're creating your own definitions out of thin air to serve your agenda. You're trying to insinuate that people who are not chained to a specific ideology are just wafting in the breeze for whatever ideas might drift by.

The reason educated people tend to not be religious extremists is because they are exposed to various perspectives on an issue and deduce a conclusion from such analysis.

Open-mindedness is not simply accepting every idea as true. It's being open to consider every idea. Yes. Let it in, assess it, and either push it out of keep it in.
I am doing no such thing. It is the world who has changed meaning of words to suit the society we live in and as a Christian I follow the word of God. I am not saying anything but that having an open mind needs no discernment if you are going to let it in anyway. If you have an open door anything can walk in, fly in or crawl in. Using discernment is opening and closing a door

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 04-22-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No man knows the mind of God, right? God's words are a guide, but words are filtered through the imperfect prism of our understanding. I see no contradiction in being a Christain and using reason to fearlessly investigate everything and to entertain all logical possibilities.
True. If I had closed my mind when I first became a Christian I would still be a babe. One needs to have an open mind to grow, to allow God to teach and show you things. The church leaders had a closed mind when they saw Christ healing the sick on the sabbath. Peter had a closed mind thinking Christ should not suffer and be killed. The brother of the prodigal son had a closed mind in regards to his brother coming home. The disciples were closed minded regarding children approaching and 'bothering' Jesus. Martha had a closed mind when she fussed at Jesus for being 4 days late to heal Lazarus. Jesus corrected each of these folk's thinking, he opened their minds to something they could not see or understand. His words to Peter fit each circumstance and still apply today, "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

Until I fully understand the mind of God (which won't happen in this life on Earth) I had better keep an open mind lest I be subject to the same words.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
True. If I had closed my mind when I first became a Christian I would still be a babe. One needs to have an open mind to grow, to allow God to teach and show you things. The church leaders had a closed mind when they saw Christ healing the sick on the sabbath. Peter had a closed mind thinking Christ should not suffer and be killed. The brother of the prodigal son had a closed mind in regards to his brother coming home. The disciples were closed minded regarding children approaching and 'bothering' Jesus. Martha had a closed mind when she fussed at Jesus for being 4 days late to heal Lazarus. Jesus corrected each of these folk's thinking, he opened their minds to something they could not see or understand. His words to Peter fit each circumstance and still apply today, "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

Until I fully understand the mind of God (which won't happen in this life on Earth) I had better keep an open mind lest I be subject to the same words.

The prodigal son story is a parable and it has nothing to support your theory. Both were sinners

The bible?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
I hope my mind is open to God's truth, but closed to all the error in the world. By knowing the truth, we can recognize error. If we do not know the truth, we can absorb all types of error.
I like to live by the scripture that speaks of searching the scriptures daily to see if these things are so.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

The prodigal son story is a parable and it has nothing to support your theory. Both were sinners

The bible?
I'm not sure why parables don't count as teaching/learning moments, that is why Christ used them after all, but OK. What about the other examples?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'm not sure why parables don't count as teaching/learning moments, that is why Christ used them after all, but OK. What about the other examples?
Because you can't smash theology into a view without the proper context.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
You made some good points. I believe that it depends on what our minds are closed or open to. The elder son had a closed mind and did not see what the most important thing was, to have the brother reconciled to the his father. His focus was elsewhere. God bless.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
You made some good points. I believe that it depends on what our minds are closed or open to. The elder son had a closed mind and did not see what the most important thing was, to have the brother reconciled to the his father. His focus was elsewhere. God bless.
exactly!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I hope my mind is open to God's truth, but closed to all the error in the world. By knowing the truth, we can recognize error. If we do not know the truth, we can absorb all types of error.
I like to live by the scripture that speaks of searching the scriptures daily to see if these things are so.
Yes Towhee you looked through the peep hole, like what you saw and opened the door. I totally agree!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity