Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
You all know I am tender-hearted. I guess what I am saying is I don't understand how someone being cruel can be genuine in saying they are going to "Pray for you"...this wasn't something that happened to me, but something I saw happen. It upset me. I guess I just wondered if you guys had encountered that and does it upset you that people sometimes "use their faith" to make jabs at others?
Hypocritical and condescending and most of all, not believable. Act what you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That's not the kind of conversation or the kind of context I'd say 'I'll pray for you'.

It's apparent that the kind of person that would use 'I'll pray for you' as a jab is not someone I can identify or associate with.

That said, I'm not sure everything that it's interpreted as a job that it actually is.
Well, I'm not really saying you are that kind of person. I'm being hypothetical, and simply presenting a situation in which a Christian may think they are right about something and choose to pray the kind of prayer you gave as an example...but may, in fact, be wrong.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
I don't know that it's ever wrong to pray for someone if you're sincere. But saying you'll pray for someone for the purpose of making them feel bad and making yourself feel superior, well that comes uncomfortably close violating the spirit of the commandment not to take the Lord's name in vain. At least as I understand it.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Something has been bugging me and I want to know what all of you think about this. When someone is being mean or hurtful to you and not acting in a Christian manner, yet then stare you in the face and say "But I'll Pray for You"....how do you react? It seems sad to me that as Christians sometimes "I'll Pray for you" is used as a jab. I don't undertand that.
My response would be "Thank you, I appreciate that, and I for you" . I always try to give others the same Grace Christ has given me, and I usually fail, but it helps me to have a different perspective on the situation, also to remember that I do not know that persons personal relationship with Christ and being prayed for is always a good thing!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
You all know I am tender-hearted. I guess what I am saying is I don't understand how someone being cruel can be genuine in saying they are going to "Pray for you"...this wasn't something that happened to me, but something I saw happen. It upset me. I guess I just wondered if you guys had encountered that and does it upset you that people sometimes "use their faith" to make jabs at others?
If you are watching it happen you can intercede just at that moment with prayer for the both of them and watch it fizzle out. But if it continues you can correct the person in private who is doing the jabs. But be prepared because a jab may come your way. And if still continues, then that when you put the bible into practice by taking another witness with you and confront the indivdual. Paul talks about that but right now I can't find it. Help me out saints!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
When I feel absolutely sure about something and another feels absolutely sure on the opposite end of the spectrum, I take it the Lord in prayer. I humble myself...know that I could be wrong...and ask Him to show me what is right. He always does. Anger burns through me, though, when I know I am dealing with a person that is so arrogant that they cannot fathom the thought that they might be wrong...that doubts the Lord still has more to teach them...and never takes it to prayer, yet they take me to prayer for the Lord to change me. Ugh.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Well, I'm not religious and wasn't raised as a Christian anyway. Usually, when someone says "I'll pray for you" I take it in a positive sense and it doesn't bother me at all. They mean it in a genuine way and I'm grateful that they care. I've heard it used in the way you mean it also. Yes, it irks me, but no more than the rest of the conversation probably did - it's just a final jab. Really, though, even when used in that way, I think it's more about them than about whomever they used it on. I think what they really mean is that they will pray to live their faith better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity