Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
SeekerSA, you simply MUST tell me where you got that smiley!

Stycotl, I happen to accept your identification as a Christian. You accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and that's pretty much all that matters. After all, the thief on the cross was saved by merely asking Jesus to remember him in His Kingdom.
Stick to the bible. You shouldn't make things up because it sounds right or good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Stick to the bible. You shouldn't make things up because it sounds right or good?
Stick to your interpretation of the Bible, Fundamentalist....and stop trying to tell me what to believe or what constitutes a true Christian.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times
Quote:
Stick to your interpretation of the Bible, Fundamentalist....and stop trying to tell me what to believe or what constitutes a true Christian.
I agree aquila. It is all about interpretation.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Stycotl. Do we believe in the same thing? if not then how are we the same?
you'll not be able to find a post where i claimed that we believe the same thing. while most of what we believe is the same, there are some important differences. i believe in Christ. i don't believe in your interpretation of Christ. that is the only difference, no matter how you try to spin it.

Quote:
Stycotl, I happen to accept your identification as a Christian. You accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and that's pretty much all that matters. After all, the thief on the cross was saved by merely asking Jesus to remember him in His Kingdom.
thank you.

i find it interesting that on one hand mormons are condemned by many protestants for supposedly believing in salvation by works, when grace is sufficient, and then in the next sentence, being condemned by the same people for not believing in the myriad man made doctrines and not believing all of the rites and traditions of protestant christianity.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,571 times
Default So you say you are a christian...

So you say you are a Christian and I am not.

Read the Sermon on the Mount. When that is your message and that is your life story, then you can tell me you're a true Christian, a faithful follower of Jesus Christ. I don't see anything there that says a Christian is one who clings to a manufactured 4th century creed.

In Matthew 7 it says Christ's followers are "they who do the will of my Father which is in heaven." If you're not clear about what that will is, try reading Matthew 5, 6 and 7. Go through it carefully, then come back and tell me you're a Christian and Christ gave you the right to judge and label other followers of Jesus Christ non-Christian.

Tell me how you mourn with those who mourn.
Tell me how you're poor in spirit.
Tell me how you love your enemies and pray for those who mistreat you.
Tell me how you give to those who ask and pray to your Father for what you need.
Tell me how you go out of your way not to judge others.
Tell me how you are careful not to do your alms before men.
Tell me how you pray in secret.
Tell me how you go the extra mile.
Tell me how you have cut off the offending hand and cut out the offending eye.
Tell me how you have built your house upon the rock, not on some manmade creed.

You have gotten lost in your theology. You have forgotten the message of Christ. You need to go back to the Bible and actually READ IT. Add to that repentance and some humble and sincere prayer to find out if it's God who wants you to go around judging, excluding, and condemning those of His children who don't bow to the creeds and dictates of your religious denomination. You know, those of your brothers and sisters who humbly follow His Son.

The above is not copyrighted, feel free to pass it along to those people who have been deceived by their leaders into pridefully and arrogantly declaring that they are the only true Christians among God's children.
-----

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Then she definitely was not raised Mormon. Mormons believe the Book of Mormon is perfect but the Bible is not. Mormons are made mormons by proclaiming a belief in the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. If she was baptized as Mormon she made that proclamation.

She says she has never read the Book of Mormon but remember, Mormons are told to "lie for the Lord" - they're allowed to and even taught to tell lies to fool people if it might help convert them later, so she may just be saying that to not freak you out and to get you to accept her as a "Christian" so that it will be easier to convert you later. Don't trust a Mormon one bit when it comes to spiritual things, they will deceive.
I think I've experienced the lying but I never heard of it being official policy. Do you have a source for this or is it merely a matter of personal experience?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Why? It's his duty.

It goes back to what I told you in the other thread. You can use all the key words and pretend to be something by using those words but behavior tells us everything we need to know.

2 Timothy 4 (New International Version)

2 Timothy 4

1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

Matthew 7 (New International Version)

Matthew 7

A Tree and Its Fruit

15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Then she definitely was not raised Mormon. Mormons believe the Book of Mormon is perfect but the Bible is not. Mormons are made mormons by proclaiming a belief in the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. If she was baptized as Mormon she made that proclamation.

She says she has never read the Book of Mormon but remember, Mormons are told to "lie for the Lord" - they're allowed to and even taught to tell lies to fool people if it might help convert them later, so she may just be saying that to not freak you out and to get you to accept her as a "Christian" so that it will be easier to convert you later. Don't trust a Mormon one bit when it comes to spiritual things, they will deceive.
My guess is that you are qualified to teach the beliefs of your own denomination but I am absolutely certain that you are not qualified to teach the religious beliefs and practices of the 13,500,000 members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

You may believe what you teach about us, but the fact is that you are teaching lies.

I've been a faithful member of the LDS Church for 42 years since my conversion from Roman Catholicism at age 22. I've traveled to and lived in many different countries, attended many Mormon temples many times, spoke with apostles and prophets, served a mission in Macau, China, and rub shoulders with Mormons every day. And in all that time I have never been taught to "lie for the Lord!"

Converts are "made Mormons" by following the four basic principles and ordinances of the Gospel of Jesus Christ:

1. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Repentance of our sins.
3. Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins.
4. The laying on of hands of the authorized Melchizedek Priesthood for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I think you have been deceived about us by the false teachings of paid ministers who think they have their livelihood and community status at stake because we're a missionary gospel sharing church, and by exposure to anti-Mormon media created by people who have no regard for the truth.

Instead of telling lies about Mormons why not tell us about the wonderful truths taught by your denomination's leaders that have brought you closer to your Savior?

Fair enough?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
I agree aquila. It is all about interpretation.
Does that mean there is no meaing to the Bible? That people are free to interpret the Word however they choose?

1 Timothy 6 (New International Version)

1 Timothy 6

3If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4he is conceited and understands nothing.

Titus 1 (New International Version)

Titus 1

10For there are many rebellious people, mere talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision group. 11They must be silenced, because they are ruining whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain. 12Even one of their own prophets has said, "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons." 13This testimony is true. Therefore, rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith 14and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the commands of those who reject the truth. 15To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. 16They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

Some of us are not gifted to teach and thus we should refrain from it.
Romans 12 (New International Version)

Romans 12

6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

There are more but I get the impression that it doesn't matter to you as it doesn't agree with your world view.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
My guess is that you are qualified to teach the beliefs of your own denomination but I am absolutely certain that you are not qualified to teach the religious beliefs and practices of the 13,500,000 members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

You may believe what you teach about us, but the fact is that you are teaching lies.

I've been a faithful member of the LDS Church for 42 years since my conversion from Roman Catholicism at age 22. I've traveled to and lived in many different countries, attended many Mormon temples many times, spoke with apostles and prophets, served a mission in Macau, China, and rub shoulders with Mormons every day. And in all that time I have never been taught to "lie for the Lord!"

Converts are "made Mormons" by following the four basic principles and ordinances of the Gospel of Jesus Christ:

1. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Repentance of our sins.
3. Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins.
4. The laying on of hands of the authorized Melchizedek Priesthood for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I think you have been deceived about us by the false teachings of paid ministers who think they have their livelihood and community status at stake because we're a missionary gospel sharing church, and by exposure to anti-Mormon media created by people who have no regard for the truth.

Instead of telling lies about Mormons why not tell us about the wonderful truths taught by your denomination's leaders that have brought you closer to your Savior?

Fair enough?
I engaged Mormons for years about theology and inquired about strange things I had heard about the faith. Multiple gods, becoming gods in the afterlife, and so on. It took many, many years before I finally had a Mormon "come clean" so to speak. I've even seen on Mormon websites that Mormons should avoid addressing such issues when discussing faith with non-Mormons. While it may not have been straight out lies when I asked questions about Mormon theology, it surely was deceptive much like a sin of omission when Mormons acted as though those ideas were not a part of their faith.

It really causes one to wonder about a faith that relies on getting you into the faith before they are willing to answer straightforward questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity