Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My grandfather passed away about 6 years ago. After he died, my mother, 4 uncles, and aunt didn't get my grandfather a headstone for his grave. But finally, they were able to put their money together and get my grandfather's headstone, but my uncle who is a pastor of his church would not contribute any money. He didn't give my family a reason, but my mother who was adamant about my grandfather getting his headstone felt that my uncle was being non christian about it for not contributing , especially after the fact that all of them get a monthly check for my grandfather's oil rights from the family's land down South.

My question is my uncle not doing the Christian things for helping pay for his father's, my grandfather headstone? This has really severed my uncle's and mom's relationship to the extent that my mother is no longer speaking to him.

I don't think it is fair to speculate, being presumptous is something that I try very hard not to be.
Sometimes a person may have private reasons that they may or not do something, and may not give a reason for fear that no one would understand..this happened to me Sunday, I did not go to worship service, but I could not for my life give an reason (honest one), because this was sooo between me and God, I'm sure no one would have understood but the Pastor.
So what I'm saying is this, your uncle may have had a reason that was between him and God (spiritual), and he may have thought that no one would have understood, and would have thought that his reasons were folly..
I know of people who have come to an awareness spiritually, that all this is not necessary, once a person has deceased. there are some that actually
think that it is a type of necromancy (worshipping the dead) ancestors, if you
google it that may explain it better. He could have been to ashamed to tell
this because he felt someone would think he was off of "his rocker"
It's so weird it felt funny trying to post this..
I hope that you all will be able to put this behind you and forgive one another.
Have you noticed in the past few years now that families that were once close are turning against one another with no remorse? or a second thought?
My only sister, told my mother that she would never talk to me again for the rest of her life' strong words I might add. she profess to be a sanctified, spirit filled, tongue talking, fire baptized saint.
I almost feel sorry for her, because the sad thing is that her reason is that I helped my mother straighten out some questions she had by calling her cardiologist. afterwards my mother said that she forgot, and told my sister that she did not ask me to, which is not true. My sister called as soon as she got wind of it I'm over 600 miles away and started to light into me, like a pit bull' as if I were some unruly child of hers, I told her " if she were going to speak to me in thios manner ,(with disrepect), and jump "the gun" without bothering to find out all of the facts (ranting and raving) that I will respectfully say goodbye and hang up the phone" . she kept yelling and being very ugly, so i said "bye and hung up. she did not care even though I am the elder sibling, that helped raise her when she was a baby
I forgive her, even though she caused a great deal of pain .. I prayed about it, and the Holy spirit, softly reminded me of what Jesus said about
the fact that family will turn against one another in Luke's gospel.
Jesus Will Separate People From One Another
49 "I have come to bring fire on the earth. How I wish the fire had already started! 50 But I have a baptism of suffering to go through. And I will be very troubled until it is completed.
51 "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you. I have come to separate people. 52 From now on there will be five members in a family, each one against the other. There will be three against two and two against three. 53 They will be separated. Father will turn against son and son against father. Mother will turn against daughter and daughter against mother. Mother?in?law will turn against daughter?in?law and daughter?in?law against mother?in?law."

and I was at peace. it still bothers me at times, but I understand that the prophecies and warnings in the word of God so far have all seem to have come true and are coming true, the way it look in this world..
I hope that this was not too lengthy, when I get tired I tend to to usew too many words, but maybe you will see something in this post that will help.
God Bless you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
resentments come out in a death or divorce known under no other life circumstances. we are at our worst when these events occur.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Luke 12:53
All are to take to themselves what Christ says in his word, and to inquire concerning it. No one is left so ignorant as not to know many things to be wrong which he does, and many things to be right which he neglects; therefore all are without excuse in their sin. The bringing in the gospel dispensation would occasion desolations. Not that this would be the tendency of Christ's religion, which is pure, peaceable, and loving; but the effect of its being contrary to men's pride and lusts. There was to be a wide publication of the gospel. But before that took place, Christ had a baptism to be baptized with, far different from that of water and the Holy Spirit. He must endure sufferings and death. It agreed not with his plan to preach the gospel more widely, till this baptism was completed. We should be zealous in making known the truth, for though divisions will be stirred up, and a man's own household may be his foes, yet sinners will be converted, and God will be glorified.just wanted to add the commentary explanation for those that are not learned in the scriptures
and familiar with the sayings and parables.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
He probably has a reason, whether it's legitimate or not, really isn't anyone else's concern. Buy the headstone and stop worrying about who contributed and who didn't.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
He probably has a reason, whether it's legitimate or not, really isn't anyone else's concern. Buy the headstone and stop worrying about who contributed and who didn't.
The headstone has already been purchased, it's just that my uncle is the only person who didn't contribute to it. My mother is the main person making a big fuss about it, and I told her to just leave it alone. It's done and you all did what your felt was best as a family, and if one family member doesn't want to contribute, then ok. Move on and don't be mad about it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity