Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM

14,647 posts, read 16,997,548 times

Advertisements

God sets me apart from the world. He loves those in the world but we are to be lights in the world. May He bless us to be true lights. God bless.

YouTube - Avalon - In Not Of
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,408,257 times
What sets me apart from the world.........wow! I honestly cannot say that I'm ever "set apart" from the world because I consciously care about each soul. I can relate to times though, where I set aside time to "step away" from the noise of life. You understand?

Away from the noise......the noise of the kids, the job, relationship, worry, stress, anger, hurt, anxiety... to just worship. Me and Him alone. Where nothing else matters, nothing, except that walk.... between me and Him, making me strong for today, for tomorrow. Can you relate?

YouTube - To Worship You I Live (AWAY)

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,621,843 times
Default What a great question Fundie...

...I had to think for a good spell about this one...and I thought about who I used to be when I was of the world...before I came to love Jesus...and back then, when I watched the old movies about the people being left behind after the rapture, I placed myself having been left behind also...and it was very troubling to me, and I was filled with fear...momentarily, until I quickly made myself think of something else...in denial, BIG time...laughed it off...

...Today though, I can watch the same movies and instead of the fear filling me, I place myself as being among the one's who went to be with Jesus, and I am filled with sorrow for those I see crying because they've realized that they had lost their child...or spouse who tried desperately to lead them to the Lord...but they wouln't listen...instead they mocked the loved one who was only guilty of loving them so much, that they didn't want them to be left behind...now it's too late for them...

What sets me apart from the world? I am looking up in great expectation and hope, for my Lord and King to come...and I am not filled with fear at the thought...because I am a child of God now, and I love Him...my Lord!!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 PM

103 posts, read 263,048 times
I am in this world, but not of this world. I do think that a Christian should in a way set themselves apart, if the majority is headed in the wrong direction. People know, without me telling them...and no I don't wear any symbolism.....I am simply good to people, gentle with people, always humble.....and in our world this automatically sets me apart......unfortunately!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 AM

852 posts, read 1,359,463 times
How am I set apart from this world?
I hope to be with this world--at least right now...I care for everyone...everyone's salvation is extemely important to me.
How am I different from other people in this world?
I think one can tell from my posts...
But I pray that someday we will all be together. Tears flow though, because the bible has already told us that we will not all enter His kingdom....so, I guess, if I had to be set apart from this world...I would pray that I am one of those few who will enter His kingdom.
It's late again...hope that made sense

Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,588,025 times
I am set apart from being set apart. The 'world' spoken of in scripture was the 'order' of things in Jesus' day.

Greek: Kosmos
  1. an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government
  2. ornament, decoration, adornment, i.e. the arrangement of the stars, 'the heavenly hosts', as the ornament of the heavens. 1 Pet. 3:
  3. the world, the universe
  4. the circle of the earth, the earth
  5. the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family
Now - yes the Strongs concordance goes on to add (in 6 and down) "the whole mass of ungodly people" etc etc but be warned - once we go beyond the BASIC REAL definition - that's when church tradition generally takes over (at the expense of the message intended)..

So we have: 1. an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government (AKA: a system)

The 'system' in Jesus day was the separation of the Jews as God's chosen. Paul said that dividing partition has been "broken down". So the 'world' was that system in place which divided by race (ethnicity) and separated the 'elite' who claimed exclusive rights to God's favor (sound familiar?).

As always, I'm 180 degrees opposite of virtually all religious systems as they are responsible for all the problems (just as in Jesus' day).

So - I'm separated from separation. God is gathering together ALL THINGS as one in Christ.

Yes, behavioral changes FOLLOW those who become enlightened to God's truth (become truthful, unselfish ie: PURE) but as I've pointed out many times before - THE MASSES OF 'SINNERS' is not the problem. Jesus had no quarrel with the atheists or whores or tax collectors. He had issues with the self righteous people in charge of the 'systems' (AKA: "world" AKA:
Kosmos: "an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government") that SEPARATED man from man, brother from brother, sister from sister (human from human).

May those with ears to hear.... hear.

Blessings,

Signed: A concerned human

Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,259,388 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have heard Christians in here say they watch movies or TV shows that blaspheme God's name or have raunchy humor, that it is ok to drink or go to bars etc... I am not saying any of it is a sin. I just want to know, how do you stand out? Be honest can the world tell that you are different other than you go to church or help the homeless because unbelievers do that as well. What sets you apart from the world?

La Vida Loco?? (this crazy life?)
God does..
and I do as a choice, I choose to consecrate myself
must admit some things has been easier to deny than others
I think that our biggest downfall, will be living an unconsecrated life in Christ
"It ain't hit the fan yet"...
The sooner we start the easier it will be to survive the things that are coming upon this nation......
People we are being seduced by pleasures of this world and the lust of the eye and flesh, and some believers are going to take a mighty hard fall, one of the best tricks of the adversary..
especially on our children...Wake up!!! Wake Up!!
if we don't start now, and now is "already too late" in my spiritual eyes how easy will it be when the trials and tribulations get more intense?
It may seem tight, but it's right...
it's worth a try..just a little at a time if you can't handle cold turkey..
try turning the television off for one week period.....
and not eating anything out (dining) one week
not text messaging for one week try it
not using the microwave for one week ,try it (unless this is all you have to prepare meals with
not playing any video games/ especially role playing games
not gossiping, slandering anyone
"love to see you sweat" and so does the enemy of our souls 'Church"
To set myself apart from this world is to consecrate myself, not disassociate myself, then how else could I touch someone's life, or maybe just give them a hug
cry with them, or listen to their story??
I apologize if I misunderstood your thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uszqc...om=PL&index=26
Israel and New Breed - To Worship You I Live

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 05-03-2009 at 03:39 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,259,388 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
sir, with all due respect, i find this question insultive.

i have pondered being in this world, but not of this world - if i cannot be trusted otherwise ....

when and where i grew up, it wasn't to flaunt one's own qualities and attitudes.

which today, still, makes me wonder, if such qualities and attitudes should not rather speak for themselves, while people are sharing their real needs and interests - religion included.

i41 do not need to be seen as "set apart".

Not even for Christ??
The Bridegroom

Old 05-03-2009, 05:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,588,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I am set apart from being set apart. The 'world' spoken of in scripture was the 'order' of things in Jesus' day.

Greek: Kosmos
  1. an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government
  2. ornament, decoration, adornment, i.e. the arrangement of the stars, 'the heavenly hosts', as the ornament of the heavens. 1 Pet. 3:
  3. the world, the universe
  4. the circle of the earth, the earth
  5. the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family
Now - yes the Strongs concordance goes on to add (in 6 and down) "the whole mass of ungodly people" etc etc but be warned - once we go beyond the BASIC REAL definition - that's when church tradition generally takes over (at the expense of the message intended)..

So we have: 1. an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government (AKA: a system)

The 'system' in Jesus day was the separation of the Jews as God's chosen. Paul said that dividing partition has been "broken down". So the 'world' was that system in place which divided by race (ethnicity) and separated the 'elite' who claimed exclusive rights to God's favor (sound familiar?).

As always, I'm 180 degrees opposite of virtually all religious systems as they are responsible for all the problems (just as in Jesus' day).

So - I'm separated from separation. God is gathering together ALL THINGS as one in Christ.

Yes, behavioral changes FOLLOW those who become enlightened to God's truth (become truthful, unselfish ie: PURE) but as I've pointed out many times before - THE MASSES OF 'SINNERS' is not the problem. Jesus had no quarrel with the atheists or whores or tax collectors. He had issues with the self righteous people in charge of the 'systems' (AKA: "world" AKA:
Kosmos: "an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government") that SEPARATED man from man, brother from brother, sister from sister (human from human).

May those with ears to hear.... hear.

Blessings,

Signed: A concerned human
Yes, I vainly quoted myself. In this view I'm espousing one may consider John's reported words "But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said to them, O generation of vipers, who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come?" and Paul's "But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world (kosmos)".

This coincides with the judgment of Jerusalem in 70AD. Their dead bodies were burned by the thousands in the valley of Gahenna, hence the question to THEM "how will you escape the judgement of Gahenna?" (KJV "damnation of hell").

See how religion and tradition can twist the message?

Jesus saith unto them, "Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you"

Many preachers want to make it all about the 'sinful world' and miss the whole message. It is all about the oppression imposed by the religious 'system' (AKA: kosmos).

"For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers."

Go break some oppression today. Visit the Jesus down the street or next door.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,640,614 times
Boy this is a tough one...I had to think about this also.
I guess most of the people I know, know that I am conservative. I don't drink or smoke(I did drink in college but just choose not to now)...not that that makes you a Christian certainly. I don't cuss. Most people in our small town know we do a casual bed and breakfast and donate the money to mission work. We have been on several mission trips. I try to volunteer my time. I try to be kind to others and helpful. I want to be salt and light to the world. Even just showing joy to the world and living life to it's fullest because it is a gift from God to us. Talking about God in my everyday converstations. Not being judgemental to where others are in their journey in this life but helpful and encourageing to them. Sharing Christ when the opportunity presents itself....and giving God the credit.
I was thinking about that song.."they will know we are Christians by our love"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity