Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times

Advertisements

Is there any scriptures, other than 1 Timothy 5:1 and 2 that speak about how to treat the elderly Christian?
1 Timothy 5:1-2 says," Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers,
older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity.

What is your take on a younger man who would cause mental discomfort to an elderly woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Is there any scriptures, other than 1 Timothy 5:1 and 2 that speak about how to treat the elderly Christian?
1 Timothy 5:1-2 says," Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers,
older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity.

What is your take on a younger man who would cause mental discomfort to an elderly woman?
Anyone causing harm to another, whether old or young, would need to be shown what love is. That way, they can overcome what had caused them to act that way in the first place.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:17 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Quote:

Well, since I am also a senior, I guess I can respond..I don't think one should show disrespect for anyone regardless of their age or religion.
I try to be respectful and it is usually reciprocated.
It saves a lot of stress on me if I just ignore an insult without returning one, and prayer is always my comfort.

If the younger man is deliberately harrassing, stalking, or physically harming an older person as a stranger,family member or an attendant in a nursing home then there is reason to bring the law into the matter..

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:

That it is both disrespectful and unacceptable.

It also depends on who the people involved are, and the nature of the interaction. --By which I mean that "mental discomfort" can be a very relative term.

For instance:

(If) June comes home from work every night and Little June (her son) has once again left dishes in the sink, pots and pans on the stove, and stuff spilled on the countertops. His bedroom looks like downtown Bagdhad, and the dog has gotten into the half eaten Big Mac and fries that he left on his bedroom floor as he's playing video games in his underwear with volume up at a near deafening level. He's also burping out loud in between his yelling at the screen. Dog is getting sick on the carpet as June beholds this scene. For her, after putting in a 10 hour day, in the moment this is the very definition of "mental discomfort." (Actually, it's worse than that. For June, it would boarder on "mental torture.")

It would be another situation altogether, however, if June experienced ongoing verbal abuse, emotional manipulation, chronic lying, stealing, swearing, angry outbursts, or any other form of nonphysical behavior from him over an extended period of time such that it was causing June distress. (Distress as defined by emotional upset, anxiety, inability to concentrate, excessive worrying, bouts of crying, depression, social isolation, etc., so on, and so forth, up to and including developing physical symptoms over time. Lack of sleep/appetite of opposite thereof.)

Another far too lengthy post by June.

Take gentle care.

I mean it.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:02 AM

Okay...let's just ignore my last sentence, and concentrate of the first question. Are there any other scriptures on this subject?

I am aware there are elderly people who can be a real pain, but how should we react towards them?
I think it is okay to chastize them, if what they are saying/doing is contrary to the word of God.

I know I can be a pain, because of my strong beliefs, and my hatred of all the ungodly stuff in the world. When does my attitude towards these things come to the point where I need to be spoken to in a way where it is harmful and insulting towards me?? Wouldn't a gentle admonition be more appropriate?
I had a dear elderly friend (yes, she was several years older than I) admonish me gently, and I really appreciated it.
I think, if we are right in our hearts, and with God, we will accept gentle admonitions, and benefit from them.
There are several proverbs that speak of this, and how the wise man recieves admonition, as compared to how the unwise does.

Most of my life I have been chastized harshly, and I am afraid it has put me on the defensive. I will work on that.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:15 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Okay...let's just ignore my last sentence, and concentrate of the first question. Are there any other scriptures on this subject?

I am aware there are elderly people who can be a real pain, but how should we react towards them?
I think it is okay to chastize them, if what they are saying/doing is contrary to the word of God.

I know I can be a pain, because of my strong beliefs, and my hatred of all the ungodly stuff in the world. When does my attitude towards these things come to the point where I need to be spoken to in a way where it is harmful and insulting towards me?? Wouldn't a gentle admonition be more appropriate?
I had a dear elderly friend (yes, she was several years older than I) admonish me gently, and I really appreciated it.
I think, if we are right in our hearts, and with God, we will accept gentle admonitions, and benefit from them.
There are several proverbs that speak of this, and how the wise man recieves admonition, as compared to how the unwise does.

Most of my life I have been chastized harshly, and I am afraid it has put me on the defensive. I will work on that.
There is a big difference when we are softly chastised from a friend or family member, then being afflicted by others because of our stand in our heart of the love for our Lord....Look under afflicted, vexing, haughty spirit....wonderful and encouraging scripture about being afflicted (even verbally abuse) for us in the Psalm....

Blessings

Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 AM

I couldn't find any particular scriptures either, but read some proverbs on the wisdom of old age, so I think the elderly deserve respect for the life lessons they have learned and the good advice they can offer about many common sense questions..

Gentle chastisement works so much better than accusations and condemnation peppered with insults any day for me and I will be grateful for the gentle loving and sincere correction..
LOL, Marian there are as many young real pains as old ones
I am quite often the cause of pain around this house..I can be pretty independent..no make that very independent

Old 04-30-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks Blue and Curly, as a child I was often refered to as "bullheaded". Maybe I still am....

Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Thanks Blue and Curly, as a child I was often refered to as "bullheaded". Maybe I still am....
I was constantly told I was to stubborn of a child....I guess those words were a little nicer way of saying bullheaded!!!

Your a woman who knows what she wants...... Thats the way I look at it!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Well anyone who can raise beautiful orchids and has the nickname "giggle girl" can't be ALL bullheaded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity