Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times

Advertisements

I think Catholic and non Catholic will find this interesting.

This past Sunday there was a discussion at the National Cathedral in Washington D.C.

Jim Carroll joined Cathedral Dean Samuel T. Lloyd III at the Sunday Forum for a discussion about how Catholicism is changing.
The video runs about 50 mins., but well worth it and would be of interest to Catholic and non Catholic alike.

Washington National Cathedral

Join Cathedral Dean Samuel T. Lloyd III and Jim Carroll as they converse on the topic “Practicing Catholic.”

James Carroll is a novelist, essayist, and non-fiction writer whose bestselling 2001 book Constantine’s Sword: The Church and the Jews explores the history of anti-Semitism in the West. A former Roman Catholic priest, he has written about the Catholic sex abuse crisis and, most recently, about the American military in the award-winning House of War: The Pentagon and the Disastrous Rise of American Power. He is a weekly columnist for the Boston Globe and a regular participant in on-going Jewish-Christian-Muslim dialogues at the Shalom Hartman Institute in Jerusalem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
James Carroll is a former Roman Catholic priest.

Dean Samuel T. Lloyd III---It looks like this guy is Lutheran.

So how can they be authorities on the RC Church?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
James Carroll is a former Roman Catholic priest.

Dean Samuel T. Lloyd III---It looks like this guy is Lutheran.

So how can they be authorities on the RC Church?
First off I believe Samuel Lloyd is Episcopalian not that it matters; he is the Dean of the Washington National Cathedral, if you do not know about the history and importance of this cathedral I suggest you do a little google search.
No one claimed that he was an expert on the RC Church although I imagine he may know more than your average person.
As the dean of this cathedral he is just acting as a moderator/host, much like any talk radio or tv show host would when they have a guest on.

Yes James Carroll is a former Roman Catholic priest, so what is your point,
there are many former priests. He like many other former priests are in good standings with the Church, did you not know that?
As far as having any kind of expertise besides the trainning and being a priest have you even checked his biography?
Product (http://www.jamescarroll.net/Biography.html - broken link)

Old 05-05-2009, 02:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Yes James Carroll is a former Roman Catholic priest, so what is your point, there are many former priests. He like many other former priests are in good standings with the Church, did you not know that?
As far as having any kind of expertise besides the trainning and being a priest have you even checked his biography?
Product (http://www.jamescarroll.net/Biography.html - broken link)
Good point. Many people decide that being a part of the clergy is not for them, especially since, in the Roman Catholic church, it implies celibacy.
His accomplishments are impressive. The fact he was a priest (past tense) makes him no less credible.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
this
would help with the necessary changes.
the vatican university knows ....

Shamanism + Catholic Church

why not earlier?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
^
We are just now recognizing that the most spiritually advanced civilizations were the ones dismissed as 'savages' and killed. I descend from Catholicism, and the Catholic Church is not making any significant effort to redress this schism. They will be amongst the last to accept this shamanic power that many of us possess.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Good point. Many people decide that being a part of the clergy is not for them, especially since, in the Roman Catholic church, it implies celibacy.
His accomplishments are impressive. The fact he was a priest (past tense) makes him no less credible.
Do you know why he left the clergy or are you assuming it had to do with celibacy? The fact that he is a former priest and the other is an Espiscopal minister DEFINITELY makes them less credible. If one of them was a current priest, maybe I would pay attention, but as a practicing Catholic, I will treat them as well as this thread as noise. Opinions are like south facing parts on north facing people. Everyone has one.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Do you know why he left the clergy or are you assuming it had to do with celibacy? The fact that he is a former priest and the other is an Espiscopal minister DEFINITELY makes them less credible. If one of them was a current priest, maybe I would pay attention, but as a practicing Catholic, I will treat them as well as this thread as noise. Opinions are like south facing parts on north facing people. Everyone has one.
Jim Carroll is a practicing Catholic just like you.

Did you not read my reply to OakieGirl?
Dean Lloyd was just acting as a host/moderater so you have nothing to fear from him as far as your Catholic faith/beliefs are concerned.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM

In the 1970s the pope gave many priests permission to leave the priesthood, if it was ok with the pope why is it not ok with you?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Jim Carroll list the reason he left was to write, although I imagine there were other considerations.

Although some left to marry most religious both men and women left because of the hierarchy's betrayal of Vatican II which started with Humanea Vitae which created a huge outrage among bishops, priests and theologians throughout the world along with most of the laity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity