Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:25 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,884,921 times

Advertisements

I am very cautious about any sort of evangelical Christian church. But I heard an interview with Nadia Bolz Weber who is an Evangelical Lutheran minister.

Her church sounds pretty cool. Not like the usual contemporary style church with conservative values and fundamentalist beliefs. I've always thought that some of these more contemporary churches had good things to offer with their support groups, etc. But I cannot get past their values, or their beliefs on many issues. This one may be very different.

Does anyone know anything about this denomination? Is this type of church typical? (Interview link below)

Lutheran Minister Preaches A Gospel Of Love To Junkies, Drag Queens And Outsiders : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 10:39 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,726,189 times
You might PM Freak80 as I think he grew up in a conservative Lutheran atmosphere. He doesn't speak too highly of it.

Personally, I don't know much about them--but they can't be any worse than Baptists (pick any sect of them you wish! )

Old 09-20-2015, 02:33 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,514,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I am very cautious about any sort of evangelical Christian church. But I heard an interview with Nadia Bolz Weber who is an Evangelical Lutheran minister.

Her church sounds pretty cool. Not like the usual contemporary style church with conservative values and fundamentalist beliefs. I've always thought that some of these more contemporary churches had good things to offer with their support groups, etc. But I cannot get past their values, or their beliefs on many issues. This one may be very different.

Does anyone know anything about this denomination? Is this type of church typical? (Interview link below)

Lutheran Minister Preaches A Gospel Of Love To Junkies, Drag Queens And Outsiders : NPR
Didn't read the article, shall in a minute. Evangelical Lutheran is know as being very accepting and liberal.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:19 AM

45 posts, read 161,175 times
Nadia Bolz Weber is an ordained pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), is a mainline Protestant denomination headquartered in Chicago. The ELCA came into being on January 1, 1988, with the merger of:

* The American Lutheran Church
* The Lutheran Church in America, &
* The Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches

The ELCA is the largest national Lutheran Church in the USA, with nearly four million baptized members. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evange...rch_in_America

Old 09-20-2015, 07:38 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,411,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You might PM Freak80 as I think he grew up in a conservative Lutheran atmosphere. He doesn't speak too highly of it.

Personally, I don't know much about them--but they can't be any worse than Baptists (pick any sect of them you wish! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzacher View Post
Nadia Bolz Weber is an ordained pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), is a mainline Protestant denomination headquartered in Chicago. The ELCA came into being on January 1, 1988, with the merger of:

* The American Lutheran Church
* The Lutheran Church in America, &
* The Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches

The ELCA is the largest national Lutheran Church in the USA, with nearly four million baptized members. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evange...rch_in_America
Right. The ELCA is markedly different than the LCMS, in which Freak (and I) were raised. The ELCA does not have the same conservative/fundamentalist mindset.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:47 AM

From the article:
I don't monitor people's behavior, let's put it that way. So much of Christianity has become about monitoring behavior, and so far it has just failed to work as a strategy for making people better. For instance, we're in the middle of this Ashley Madison scandal with all of these clergy, so on some level Christianity became about monitoring people's behavior, like a sin-management program, and that almost always fails and often backfires. I would actually argue that conservative Christianity's obsession with controlling sexuality — I mean absolute obsession with it — has in fact created more unhealthy sexual behavior than it has ever prevented. I really believe that.

Boy, she's spot on.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,884,921 times
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like a really cool church. I'm just confused by the name. They call themselves both "evangelical" and "mainline" which seems like a contradiction.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like a really cool church. I'm just confused by the name. They call themselves both "evangelical" and "mainline" which seems like a contradiction.
While it's true that the more conservative Lutheran denominations do have things in common with the "born again" fundamentalist evangelicals, in Lutheran circles "evangelical" means something different. It is more like "gospel-centered". Which is what the pastor in your article emphasized repeatedly.

Here's a little blurb: Why are we called “Evangelical” | Zion Lutheran Church, Stratford

Old 09-20-2015, 12:58 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Neither the LCMS nor the WELS will ordain female pastors, so the church is definitely not affiliated with either of those denominations.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,216,364 times
Quote:

It's just another liberal church that claims to follow the Bible but does their own thing. Martin Luther would be spinning in his grave if he knew they claimed to be Lutheran. They really are not Lutheran in anything but name only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity