Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,876,572 times

Advertisements

I am not good at posting text from the internet w/o it looking sloppy.... but we say the Nicene Crede and believe every word of it.... here is a link....

http://www.catholicfirst.com/thefaith/prayers/nicenecreed.cfm (broken link)

Last edited by skbs; 05-20-2009 at 09:29 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,635,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have labored doing such a thread but who said the gospel was easy. First of all I love my Catholic brothers and sisters, I went to a Catholic private school in which I learned a lot and have corresponded with many in here but for the sake of the gospel and salvation the question must be posed.

In the Council of Trent, I believe it was Canon 11, it reads, "If any one saith, that men are justified, either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ, or by the sole remission of sins, to the exclusion of the grace and the charity which is poured forth in their hearts by the Holy Ghost, and is inherent in them; or even that the grace, whereby we are justified, is only the favor of God; let him be anathema"

I believe in justification by grace alone through faith alone and not of any works. Am I cursed? and if I am then how can I be the same as Catholics?
Catholics believe that only God given Grace can save us, so I guess we are Christians afterall. Works are the action that faith demands.

The constant teaching of the Roman Catholic Church on these Scriptures was clearly restated on January 13, 1547.

Council of Trent, On Justification, Ch. VIII
When the Apostle says that man is justified by faith and freely, these words are to be understood in that sense in which the uninterrupted unanimity of the Catholic Church has held and expressed them, namely, that we are therefore said to be justified by faith, because faith is the beginning of human salvation, the foundation and root of all justification, "without which it is impossible to please God" and to come to the fellowship of His sons; and we are therefore said to be justified gratuitously, because none of those things that precede justification, whether faith or works, merit the grace of justification. For, "if by grace, it is not now by works, otherwise," as the Apostle says, "grace is no more grace."

The Council also reiterated the relationship of good works to man justified by faith.

Council of Trent, On Justification, Ch. XVI
Therefore, to men justified in this manner, whether they have preserved uninterruptedly the grace received or recovered it when lost, are to be pointed out the words of the Apostle: "Abound in every good work, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. For God is not unjust, that he should forget your work, and the love which you have shown in his name"; and "Do not lose confidence, which hath a great reward." Hence, to those who work well "unto the end" and trust in God, eternal life is to be offered, both as a grace mercifully promised to the sons of God through Christ Jesus, and as a reward promised by God himself, to be faithfully given to their good works and merits.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,770,261 times
Quote:
I find this disgusting....

I don't believe you understand a darn thing.....

I grow so tired of this....tired of fighting this fight.... it is the same fight everytime.... how many times do we have to do this? I can cut and paste so many threads that have been closed for you.... this gets do disgusting..... people post such obnoxious things
I understand ... The religious leaders and such of the time of Christ thought that Jesus was obnoxious as well, so much so they had him tortured and killed ... Sound familiar? Well, it doesn't really matter anyway, when all is said and done, it is God and his Christ that have the glory. It is a true faith in them alone, not in institutions or in religions or in governments or in anything man made, that will count as righteousness in the end. Whether your catholic, baptist, presbyterian, or any of the other various denominations, your denomination isn't what matters. God isn't a respecter of men or of their traditions ... It is whether or not you love your neighbor as yourself, and God above all else. All the rest will come out in the wash ...

next topic of discussion ...

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,635,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I understand ... The religious leaders and such of the time of Christ thought that Jesus was obnoxious as well, so much so they had him tortured and killed ... Sound familiar? Well, it doesn't really matter anyway, when all is said and done, it is God and his Christ that have the glory. It is a true faith in them alone, not in institutions or in religions or in governments or in anything man made, that will count as righteousness in the end. Whether your catholic, baptist, presbyterian, or any of the other various denominations, your denomination isn't what matters. God isn't a respecter of men or of their traditions
You do write with passion even if it's just a pile behind the south end of a north facing male cow.

I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you. (1 Cor 11:2)

So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter. (2 Thess 2:15)

Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. (2 Thess 3:6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
It is whether or not you love your neighbor as yourself, and God above all else. All the rest will come out in the wash
Wash? You must be talking about purgatory.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 AM

3 posts, read 8,336 times
uh, the lord said the dead are dead! hello...mary is dead, has no life, no power. she was just a blessed woman, that's it! read the bible!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,705,178 times
Yes, Catholics are Christians....

I am so thankful God knows each and every individuals heart!!
I believe there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be surprise who will be in heaven with the Father, our Lord God and Savior!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,577,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Yes, Catholics are Christians....

I am so thankful God knows each and every individuals heart!!
I believe there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be surprise who will be in heaven with the Father, our Lord God and Savior!!!
I agree but are you sure about catholicism, will you stake their salvation on that? because that is what you are doing? Are we really the same? Their Pope said, let us be anathema

Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I never said you were cursed. The Eucharist is biblical, you just choose to ignore what we teach concerning it so I will not bother to explain again when you have read over and over and choose to play dumb.
I am playing dumb???? Let me reiterate Aaron

In the Council of Trent, I believe it was Canon 11, it reads, "If any one saith, that men are justified, either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ, or by the sole remission of sins, to the exclusion of the grace and the charity which is poured forth in their hearts by the Holy Ghost, and is inherent in them; or even that the grace, whereby we are justified, is only the favor of God; let him be anathema"

Your Pope's words about us. What did he mean calling me an anathema?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,705,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Are you sure, will you stake their salvation on that? because that is what you are doing? Are we really the same? Their Pope said, let us be anathema
Yes...I believe Catholics are Christian!! For the reason the Pope isn't the peoples heart! Just like some pastors I have been under are not the peoples heart!
Every Church has believers and non-believing participating sitting in the pew! Only God knows the heart of one whom is truly seeking Him, in those pews. Regardless who is in the pulpit!!!
King Saul is a very good example of this.....and what did God say to David? Do not touch my anointed one and God knew Sauls heart had turned away and became wicked!!!

Blessings

PS..... Just in case, I not saying the Pope is like King Saul!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Yes...I believe Catholics are Christian!! For the reason the Pope isn't the peoples heart! Just like some pastors I have been under are not the peoples heart!
Every Church has believers and non-believing participating sitting in the pew! Only God knows the heart of one whom is truly seeking Him, in those pews. Regardless who is in the pulpit!!!
King Saul is a very good example of this.....and what did God say to David? Do not touch my anointed one and God knew Sauls heart had turned away and became wicked!!!

Blessings
King Saul didn't venerate Mary and pray to dead people but that is neither here nor there. You didn't answer me about what their Pope said, let them (mainly us) be anathema. How are we the same when their Pope says that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.