Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Robin, does it say anywhere in the bible that god would at some point cease to be vocal? If you are taking things from the OT and saying we know them to be fact soley because they are written in the bible, then why is it not a fact that we should stone bad kids to death?
Context, that was part of the Old Covenant BUT that was Laws specifically for the Jews not Gentiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
1) Being God, He could do whatever He wants

2) The act of punishing the world for sin provides the perfect backdrop for why Calvalry was necessary.

3) It also shows us that God is not bound by this life to deal with people in a small time frame when they are not flesh and blood forever. God is spirit, and so is man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
No argument, just a question because it would be off topic. What verse is that? You can PM me if you like.
Quote:
For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; (Romans 8:20)
Here we see the hand of God deliberately subjecting His creation to this process of darkness and bondage, and we are told that He subjected it in hope, indicating a beautiful, benevolent end. Indeed, our hearts are illuminated even more when we understand that God was, in effect, selling us under bondage to sin. (Romans 7:14)

And to what end? Very easily answered – that He might buy us back again.

Quote:
In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. (Acts 20:28)
The question of belief remains in our minds, as to who will believe our report...but "each in his own order" (1 Cor 15:23) signifies a dispensation of grace to those who have not yet had the veil from their eyes lifted.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
This is Moderator cut: deleted due to rudeness to shed light on God's beautiful grace. Jesus went to those before the flood and gave them a chance.

1 Peter 3

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
17 For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Those people were given a chance at grace; but, don't be deceived by this, as those of us who have heard the gospel of Christ in this life don't get a second chance.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-23-2009 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
The law was not given until after Noah's days. I looked at could not find anything on laws or anything of that nature that were handed out before Noah. So anyone correct me with scripture if I am wrong. That being said, if those people had no law to follow then how was it just for god to say they were unrighteous and kill them all? Don't tell me..."God can do what he wants cause he's god!"....well that doesn't fly either. That would be like me punishing my children extremely harshly and unreasonably for doing things that I never set limits on.

I would be so unwilling to question God in such a manner. How can someone/something that was created by God question Him in such a vindictive manner...
It is quite obvious that there is no respect, no fear, and very plainly...no love, towards God.
I wonder if you have the same disrespect towards your parents,your spouse( if you have one), and towards the laws of our country???

Old 05-21-2009, 04:07 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
Here we see the hand of God deliberately subjecting His creation to this process of darkness and bondage, and we are told that He subjected it in hope, indicating a beautiful, benevolent end. Indeed, our hearts are illuminated even more when we understand that God was, in effect, selling us under bondage to sin. (Romans 7:14)

And to what end? Very easily answered – that He might buy us back again.

Quote:
In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. (Acts 20:28)

The question of belief remains in our minds, as to who will believe our report...but "each in his own order" (1 Cor 15:23) signifies a dispensation of grace to those who have not yet had the veil from their eyes lifted.
Amen. God bless.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Those people were given a chance at grace; but, don't be deceived by this, as those of us who have heard the gospel of Christ in this life don't get a second chance.
I don't believe in chance, only purpose.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:04 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Babies don't know right from wrong? Is there a book that teaches kids how to behave bad? God gave them a conscience and sent them a prophet. Noah's words were hitting home for a hundred years but their will was stubborn.

Psalm 58:3
3 Even from birth the wicked go astray;
from the womb they are wayward and speak lies.
This is a contradiction....the first part says they GO astray but second part says they are wayward from the beginning. How can one GO astray if they are already astray to begin with? And for that matter, this verse implies that they are wicked already! How can they GO when they are ALREADY wicked? I am in MS. already, I can't GO there if I am already here.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
This is not directed at the author of this thread, who is a hater of God, but to shed light on God's beautiful grace. Jesus went to those before the flood and gave them a chance.

1 Peter 3

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
17 For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Did god make you some kind of assistant judge? So one questioning the bible translates into hating god? Interesting. The people in the Noah story were not given a chance at grace. How do you figure?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Did god make you some kind of assistant judge? So one questioning the bible translates into hating god? Interesting. The people in the Noah story were not given a chance at grace. How do you figure?
You can question God, it's how you question God?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Okay so from what I am reading from Fundy and Eus, they were just supposed to KNOW what god wanted them to do. Oh yeah, that is perfectly reasonable. So why even bother teaching kids right from wrong...they should just KNOW already. Oh and Fundy, I think it is you who are under the false assupmtion that it was reasonable.
Hey Dani, we always look at death (physical death) as such a horrible terrible thing. If someone truly believes in God, then passing from this life into the next is really a blessing. Eventhough those people in Noah`s day probably aren`t in for a life of luxury in the age to come. But I hear believers all the time, when they are faced with death of a friend or relative, wonder how God could do that. I understand the personal loss an individual will feel,but if we truly love God the way we say we do, and long to be with him the way we say we do, then is death from this fallen world such a terrible thing? I`m just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity