U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 PM

19,011 posts, read 28,340,964 times

Advertisements

How would you deal with those who make you the laughing stock of others around you, just because of your faith/right to thought, considering that you did the latter no harm?

Also, how would you reconcile with the secondary and tertiary others who cascade into the mock fest?

Would this refrain you from speaking your mind?

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...eople-see.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,010,204 times
I personally don't care what they think about my faith, because my concern is not about them. Ignorance is always going to be around. Why waste time on them while I could spend that time doing other things?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,180,336 times
I, as always, like shawn_2828's response. Count it a blessing when getting persecuted because of your christian beliefs, so says the bible. I may throw back a little at the mockers, but nothing harsh nor do I add fuel to the fire. The bible said Christians would endure this and when all is said and done, you'd be blessed for it. I do not fight with others, it's not my nature, so I tend to say a quick word and let em have their fun while at the same time showing that it's not going to discourage me.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM

8,989 posts, read 13,773,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
How would you deal with those who make you the laughing stock of others around you, just because of your faith/right to thought, considering that you did the latter no harm?

Also, how would you reconcile with the secondary and tertiary others who cascade into the mock fest?

Who do I answer to, man or God?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,725,413 times
My guess is people act differently on message boards so its not a real comparison.

If someone I knew objected in a mocking manner to my beliefs I'd simply tell then it bothers me. If it continued.. I wouldn't know them anymore.

Now if in real life I believed that the government were going to put RFID in people and there would be a New World Order and the "Amero" would be a currency yet then everyone would have a New World Currency.. then yeah.. I'd hope my friends made fun of me because the very premise of that argument is beyond ridiculous and has been shown to be many many times.

My problem is not if you believe it. My problem is twisting facts to suit an agenda and thats all it is.. twisting.. and its disingenuous.

Then again... I believe in a virgin birth.. so I'm probably just as crazy.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,333,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

Matthew 10 (New International Version)

Matthew 10

11"Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. 12As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. 15I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Our duty is to spread the truth. We aren't to fellowship with unbelievers. Do not get caught up in what they are concerned with because they are dedicated to the worldly, we are supposed to be dedicate to the spiritual.

So what should your response be to the mockers? Be as shrewd as a snake. What benefit would there be to go into a thread where a bunch of people are caught up in mocking spiritual things? Do you think they'll be receptive to anything you say? Take your message elsewhere is my recommendation.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:46 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,094,910 times
I'll do what I have been doing....... keep telling the TRUTH and pray that someone's heart be touched. That's all, we can really do, spread the WORD and rely on the HOLY SPIRIT to do the rest!

"Who have 'eyes' to see, will....see"!
"Who have 'ears' to hear, will.....hear, what the Spirit is saying unto them"!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:11 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,624,843 times
Default 1 Peter 3:13-17 (NIV)

Quote:
13Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
The above is my opinion on the topic, especially the blue section I highlighted. It is very hard to do. There are times I want to retort right back at them, with the same venom, same malice, same hate. I have to remind myself I am held to a higher standard .. first by them, but moreso by God Himself.

They may believe we are no more than rearranged pond scum, a highly-evolved ape-like creature, a mere animal (and many may act accordingly), but I cannot. I have accepted Christ and that means accepting His word as truth and living according to His will, not my own. Because I live by Jesus' higher standard. And as I alluded to above, if I would happen to lash out at an atheist, the first thing they would say is "that's not very Christian". So even they expect us to act in a manner different from them, yet they feel free to attack and condescend to us Christians. Just another example of the double standard they say doesn't exist, except in our minds.

Remind yourself, you are in the world, yet not of the world.

Blessings

Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM

24 posts, read 34,790 times
Well I would sit in silence and show them that I have patience and maturity in their ignorance.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 PM

1,169 posts, read 2,414,643 times
I would try to talk to them. Find out why they think its all so funny. Sometimes the biggest mockers end up falling on their knees - like Paul who was literally knocked to his knees whilst on his persecution mission. And he became a great christian and father in the faith.
If I had to suffer for the faith though - I would count it priviledge, I mean, i don't want to get to heaven and meet those martyrs who were burnt at the stake, thrown to the lions and say "Oh, my life was easy, I never had to make a stand" If we share in Christs sufferings and mockings, we will share in his Kingdom - which is being prepared, for those who love him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity