Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times

Advertisements

Pauls resume was pretty impressive according to the old man
He was one heck of an impressive religious man. I suppose you could say there was not much you could tell him regarding the Law and the things pertainting to it.

4Though *I* have [my] trust even in flesh; if any other think to trust in the flesh I rather

5as to circumcision, [I received it] the eighth day; of [the] race of Israel, of [the] tribe of Benjamin, Hebrew of Hebrews; as to [the] law, a Pharisee;
6as to zeal, persecuting the assembly; as to righteousness which [is] in [the] law, found blameless;
7but what things were gain to me these I counted, on account of Christ, loss. 8But surely I count also all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all, and count them to be filth, that I may gain Christ;

How easy it is for us to lose sight of what our salvation is all about and find ourselves defending something that doesn't matter when all's been said and done.

Verse8 But surely I count also all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord.
This is not talking about the knowledge of the scriptures but a knowing him as in a relationship .

Just a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 AM

381 posts, read 799,142 times
help me out with your point. are you demeaning Paul? I see you understand what the gospel is all about. that jesus died , rose from the dead . for our sins.

didn't get the "and find ourselves defending something that doesn't matter when is all's been said and done."

your point made in verse 8. do you have any greek or theology to suggest that? truth is important. we're told to worship in sprit and in truth?

part of the sham of easy believism is that you can pray a simple prayer and have a personal relationship all in five seconds without anything else changing or without coming to repentance, or the father drawing you nigh through his son. Jeusus said "I will by no means cast one out who comes to me. " that is God's mercy... so, you have to come to get it, you have to want it, think you need it, can't live without it ( all those that desired healing and received christ miracle power in the gospel "wanted it").. this in lieu of "recite this and you have the good life today" sound familiar? this theme is filling up stadiums, arenas with moguls who fly 50 million dollar jets. they took more than their tunic and sackcloth.

Jesus drew the distinction between his kingdom and the "law". Preached a message of love and redemption. anf forgiveness, reconciliation. "leave your gift at the altar, go and reconcile with your brother, then come back"
repentance : ref 'the prodical son, matthew the tax collector, woman at the well, woman caught in adultery" just to name a few

peter and Paul preached "repentance, forgivness of sins through atoning death of Jesus, saving faith through grace and not deeds. james later added, that outward displays of faith would be works, a manifestation of saving faith, but that wouldn't precede the mercy seat of Christ.

as far as the scriptures, it is said "faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God" so the word is very important. it is life and truth...

Paul suffered many things for christ's sake as told he would by Christ himself....what are you saying?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
help me out with your point. are you demeaning Paul? I see you understand what the gospel is all about. that jesus died , rose from the dead . for our sins.

didn't get the "and find ourselves defending something that doesn't matter when is all's been said and done."

your point made in verse 8. do you have any greek or theology to suggest that? truth is important. we're told to worship in sprit and in truth?

part of the sham of easy believism is that you can pray a simple prayer and have a personal relationship all in five seconds without anything else changing or without coming to repentance, or the father drawing you nigh through his son. Jeusus said "I will by no means cast one out who comes to me. " that is God's mercy... so, you have to come to get it, you have to want it, think you need it, can't live without it ( all those that desired healing and received christ miracle power in the gospel "wanted it").. this in lieu of "recite this and you have the good life today" sound familiar? this theme is filling up stadiums, arenas with moguls who fly 50 million dollar jets. they took more than their tunic and sackcloth.

Jesus drew the distinction between his kingdom and the "law". Preached a message of love and redemption. anf forgiveness, reconciliation. "leave your gift at the altar, go and reconcile with your brother, then come back"
repentance : ref 'the prodical son, matthew the tax collector, woman at the well, woman caught in adultery" just to name a few

peter and Paul preached "repentance, forgivness of sins through atoning death of Jesus, saving faith through grace and not deeds. james later added, that outward displays of faith would be works, a manifestation of saving faith, but that wouldn't precede the mercy seat of Christ.

as far as the scriptures, it is said "faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God" so the word is very important. it is life and truth...

Paul suffered many things for christ's sake as told he would by Christ himself....what are you saying?
Not demeaning Paul in the slighest .Infact i am saying we should follow his example and make the excellency of knowing our Lord and Savior the important thing in life and the rest of it count but loss.

Regarding your question about Greek , though i find it of extreme importance to gain a better understanding of the scripture , i would easily count it loss to gain a deeper relationship with my Lord and Savior .

The fact i quoted verse 8 again would surely suggest the point of the post , just like Paul said it's about knowing Him(intimacy) whom to know is life eternal

Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
His resume reminds me of some on this forum. Perhaps they too will be confronted by the Light...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times
You can take it a lot further. Shaul (Paul) along with ALL of the Talmadim (apostles) AND the Messiah NEVER forsook ANY of the Torah and all of it's "commandments".The ONLY "Law" ever remanded because of the Messiah, was the "Law of Sin and Death". It's your folly to believe otherwise. You won't see anywhere that the precepts and commandments of YHVH (God) were done away with, it was ONLY the Law of Sin and Death (Rom 8). Sorry but to believe otherwise is absurd distortions of the truth. Shaul even went into a synagogue and did a sacrifice AFTER the death of Messiah. So I suppose you don't admire Shaul (Paul) anymore?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
You can take it a lot further. Shaul (Paul) along with ALL of the Talmadim (apostles) AND the Messiah NEVER forsook ANY of the Torah and all of it's "commandments".The ONLY "Law" ever remanded because of the Messiah, was the "Law of Sin and Death". It's your folly to believe otherwise. You won't see anywhere that the precepts and commandments of YHVH (God) were done away with, it was ONLY the Law of Sin and Death (Rom 8). Sorry but to believe otherwise is absurd distortions of the truth. Shaul even went into a synagogue and did a sacrifice AFTER the death of Messiah. So I suppose you don't admire Shaul (Paul) anymore?
I am leaving to play golf but will be back to prove you absolutely wrong .

If you believe that you are deceived .

Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM

You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature[a]; rather, serve one another in love. 14The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."[b] 15If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

As the above scripture says we are free . Free from what ? The law of cause . While you are under the law you are subject to it . If you break one single commandment of the law you may as well have broken them all.

Paul is saying now you are no longer answerable to the Law , do not abuse you freedom from being under the law to live as you please.

John 1 v 17

17for the law through Moses was given, the grace and the truth through Jesus Christ did come;

Hebrews

7for if that first were faultless, a place would not have been sought for a second.

8For finding fault, He saith to them, `Lo, days come, saith the Lord, and I will complete with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah, a new covenant,
9not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers, in the day of My taking [them] by their hand, to bring them out of the land of Egypt -- because they did not remain in My covenant, and I did not regard them, saith the Lord, --
10because this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, after those days, saith the Lord, giving My laws into their mind, and upon their hearts I will write them, and I will be to them for a God, and they shall be to Me for a people;
11and they shall not teach each his neighbour, and each his brother, saying, Know thou the Lord,
because they shall all know Me from the small one of them unto the great one of them,
12because I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawlessnesses I will remember no more;' --

I might as well copy and paste the whole epistles

Last edited by pcamps; 06-19-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM

257 posts, read 444,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Pauls resume was pretty impressive according to the old man
He was one heck of an impressive religious man. I suppose you could say there was not much you could tell him regarding the Law and the things pertainting to it.

4Though *I* have [my] trust even in flesh; if any other think to trust in the flesh I rather

5as to circumcision, [I received it] the eighth day; of [the] race of Israel, of [the] tribe of Benjamin, Hebrew of Hebrews; as to [the] law, a Pharisee;
6as to zeal, persecuting the assembly; as to righteousness which [is] in [the] law, found blameless;
7but what things were gain to me these I counted, on account of Christ, loss. 8But surely I count also all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all, and count them to be filth, that I may gain Christ;

How easy it is for us to lose sight of what our salvation is all about and find ourselves defending something that doesn't matter when all's been said and done.

Verse8 But surely I count also all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord.
This is not talking about the knowledge of the scriptures but a knowing him as in a relationship .

Just a thought
Bravo---these scriptures are encouraging, especially since I face leaveing behind all my former things and even the very country of birth more than 51 years ago. Indeed it will be counted forsaken in order to continue following CHRIST. I'll go anywere with CHRIST. He is the most wonderful Friend.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,368 times
part. Jeusus said "I will by no means cast one out who comes to me. " that is God's mercy... so, you have to come to get it, you have to want it, think you need it, can't live without it ( all those that desired healing and received christ miracle power in the gospel "wanted it").. this in lieu of "recite this and you have the good life today" sound familiar? this theme is filling up stadiums, arenas with moguls who fly 50 million dollar jets. they took more than their tunic and sackcloth.

Did Lazarus seek Jesus and ask to be raised out of the tomb? Did Jairus's daughter seek Jesus out? Did she ask Jesus to raise her? How about the Centurion's servant? He himself didn't go to Jesus and ask him to heal him. So will Jesus 'save' someone who I in faith ask Him to save, based on my faith? UNTIL God draws us by an act of HIS will, we are as powerless to want His salvation as Lazarus or anyone else in his grave. It isn't UNTIL the Holy Spirit calls us out of our spiritual grave that we even begin to desire Him.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
part. Jeusus said "I will by no means cast one out who comes to me. " that is God's mercy... so, you have to come to get it, you have to want it, think you need it, can't live without it ( all those that desired healing and received christ miracle power in the gospel "wanted it").. this in lieu of "recite this and you have the good life today" sound familiar? this theme is filling up stadiums, arenas with moguls who fly 50 million dollar jets. they took more than their tunic and sackcloth.

Did Lazarus seek Jesus and ask to be raised out of the tomb? Did Jairus's daughter seek Jesus out? Did she ask Jesus to raise her? How about the Centurion's servant? He himself didn't go to Jesus and ask him to heal him. So will Jesus 'save' someone who I in faith ask Him to save, based on my faith? UNTIL God draws us by an act of HIS will, we are as powerless to want His salvation as Lazarus or anyone else in his grave. It isn't UNTIL the Holy Spirit calls us out of our spiritual grave that we even begin to desire Him.
Nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity