Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

This is a spin-off to Carlos123's thread about saving lost souls. While it's highly commendable that he wants to do the Lord's work, I hope he doesn't go running off tomorrow to a foreign Muslim country where his life would be put in jeopardy in a mistaken belief that that's what God wanted him to do. I've always believed (possibly wrongly) that if God wants us somewhere or wants us to do something He will "bash us over the head" as He did Jonas in order to get our attentions to carry out His Holy Will. I often think of this young, wet-behind-the-ears Christian couple I saw on Intervention (A&E) who were early twenty-somethings and were certain that God wanted them to adopt a child from a foreign country, no doubt to "save" him. Twenty years later they are basket cases - hearts broken, at the end of their ropes over the son who they adopted from India who is atheist; who feels totally alienated from his lily-white family of five brothers and sisters all because of his dark skin and uses drugs and alcohol all day long to numb the pain of a lonely existence. Who knows, maybe a miracle will occur. Just a lesson to ponder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is a spin-off to Carlos123's thread about saving lost souls. While it's highly commendable that he wants to do the Lord's work, I hope he doesn't go running off tomorrow to a foreign Muslim country where his life would be put in jeopardy in a mistaken belief that that's what God wanted him to do. I've always believed (possibly wrongly) that if God wants us somewhere or wants us to do something He will "bash us over the head" as He did Jonas in order to get our attentions to carry out His Holy Will.
Were that the case, all of our comings to the Lord would look like Pauls conversion on the road to Damascus.

Quote:
I often think of this young, wet-behind-the-ears Christian couple I saw on Intervention (A&E) who were early twenty-somethings and were certain that God wanted them to adopt a child from a foreign country, no doubt to "save" him. Twenty years later they are basket cases - hearts broken, at the end of their ropes over the son who they adopted from India who is atheist; who feels totally alienated from his lily-white family of five brothers and sisters all because of his dark skin and uses drugs and alcohol all day long to numb the pain of a lonely existence. Who knows, maybe a miracle will occur. Just a lesson to ponder.
There are millions of ways to interpret such a situation in life and all of theme would be pure guesses. What this has to do with someone serving their country, I have no clue but it sure does seem you're not crazy about people protecting their fellow citizens.

ETA: Perhaps I jumped to a conclusion there about serving in the military. Not sure if that's what Carlos intends or if that's what you were leaning towards in your post. If it's just heading off to a Muslim country to proselytize, then he needs to be prepared for the dangers but again, I think it'd be a great thing.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:45 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
thrillobyte... I don't understand your reasoning at all.

So we are not to reach out and help someone because it may end up being too difficult?

What about all of the thousands of people who adopt from other countries and they end up being healthy, well-balanced people who are so grateful that someone came and WANTED them??

What your saying doesn't make much sense.

Am I missing something? Maybe I'm not understanding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity