Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I was talking to my JW friend and he knows his scripture like so many I have encountered. They may have a false gospel that is subject to change from time to time but they have done an excellent job in keeping their doctrine pure, they have not allowed nor welcomed worldly ideas and philosophies to influence their church as we Christians have which is why we have such a mess in our churches and what they teach. It utterly disgusts me everyday what people are preaching on television. Oh Lord I ask to open people's eyes, show them the truth and the error of their ways. It pains me what people believe these days and that it isn't scriptural nor that they even bothered to find out if it is.

In my experience if you show them a few things they fold up and run away. They know their doctrine--but not scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
They know their scripture as written by the watch tower!

Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
My girlfriend was married to a JW. She lived in literal hell because she was not allowed to do anything like celebrate holidays or birthdays. Had to dress right and she had to be careful of her friends. God does not ask that of us. The religion made it that way. That religion won't last. God put us here to enjoy the earth. That means celebrations of our choosing, dressing the way we want and just plain living life to the fullest without dogma or creeds or others controlling us in a way they see fit.

read about each holiday and there meanings.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer5932 View Post
read about each holiday and there meanings.
Holidays are not an expression or requirement of the Christian faith, they are cultural events. Participating in the culture you live in if fine as long as it does not contradict love and morality. Mardi Gras might be a problem.......

Old 06-02-2013, 04:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
There is a fundamental difference with JW's. Its a cult. They punish people for leaving. They punish people who differ with them. Its a cult that works to keep control over the mind, their life and everything they have, that's why there is such uniformity among them. You stray, you're out, and you're cut off from all contact with other JW's even if its your immediate family.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Holidays are not an expression or requirement of the Christian faith, they are cultural events. Participating in the culture you live in if fine as long as it does not contradict love and morality. Mardi Gras might be a problem.......
How about contradicting the Scriptures, is that fine ?

What did Jesus say regarding 'cultural events' ? That is 'religious' cultural or 'religious' traditional events or holidays ?

At Mark chapter 7 isn't it wrong to follow events or happenings that are the traditions of men according to verses 1 to 7 ?

To follows customs or traditions of men according to verse 13 makes the word of God of no effect through human ideas.

Worship would be in vain if teachings of men were followed according to Matthew 15 v 9.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There is a fundamental difference with JW's. Its a cult. They punish people for leaving.
How is following Jesus a cult ? Jesus is the Son of God.

Doesn't God's Word [ Holy Bible ] state at 1st Corinthians 5 v 11 ...Not to keep company if any man who is called a brother who is a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner with such a one do not eat ?

Romans 16 v 17 states make them which cause divisions...contrary to the doctrine [ Bible teachings]...avoid them.

2nd Thess. 3 v 6 B .....withdraw yourselves from every brother that walks disorderly.....

The world punishes by jail time or fines. How is not having association a punishment? [ 1st Cor. 15 v 33 ].The person is absolutely free to choose to repent or not.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
In my experience if you show them a few things they fold up and run away. They know their doctrine--but not scripture.
An example of a few things ^ above ^ please.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I was talking to my JW friend and he knows his scripture like so many I have encountered. They may have a false gospel that is subject to change from time to time but they have done an excellent job in keeping their doctrine pure, they have not allowed nor welcomed worldly ideas and philosophies to influence their church as we Christians have which is why we have such a mess in our churches and what they teach. It utterly disgusts me everyday what people are preaching on television. Oh Lord I ask to open people's eyes, show them the truth and the error of their ways. It pains me what people believe these days and that it isn't scriptural nor that they even bothered to find out if it is.
If you consider them receiving new light when in error, every 10 years or so as keeping their doctrines pure.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You are so right, and that's what makes them so effective as well. If all you have to do is reteach, restate, and recirculate the same messages and publications, then any member of the JW faith can't help but be able to dish out Watchtower doctrines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity