Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,593,282 times

Advertisements

17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Personal Relationships
21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell....."

The consequence of practicing or teaching disobedience of any of God's word is to be called least in the kingdom of heaven. Determining rank in the kingdom of heaven is entirely God's prerogative, and Jesus declares that He will hold those in lowest esteem who hold His word in low esteem. There is no impunity for believers who disobey, discredit, or belittle God's law that Jesus does not refer to loss of salvation is clear from the fact that, though offenders will be called least, they will still be in the kingdom of heaven. The positive result is that whoever keeps and teaches God's word, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Here again Jesus mentions two aspects of doing and teaching. Kingdom citizens are to uphold every part of God's law both in their living and in their teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,214,301 times
It's my belief that we try to accomplish the fulfillment of the law - but we try to do it in our own strength. Jesus said "abide in me", "I am the Vine, you are the branches", etc.

We will keep the law if He is within us - but it's actually HIM that's doing it. As Paul said, if righteousness came by the law, then Christ died in vain (Gal 2:21). So it's not the law, but His righteousness that fulfills the law; and His righteousness in us comes by being one with Him.

That's the key, imo.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,227,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Personal Relationships
21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell....."

The consequence of practicing or teaching disobedience of any of God's word is to be called least in the kingdom of heaven. Determining rank in the kingdom of heaven is entirely God's prerogative, and Jesus declares that He will hold those in lowest esteem who hold His word in low esteem. There is no impunity for believers who disobey, discredit, or belittle God's law that Jesus does not refer to loss of salvation is clear from the fact that, though offenders will be called least, they will still be in the kingdom of heaven. The positive result is that whoever keeps and teaches God's word, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Here again Jesus mentions two aspects of doing and teaching. Kingdom citizens are to uphold every part of God's law both in their living and in their teaching.
Mt 22:35 One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him,

36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"
37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
38 "This is the great and foremost commandment.
39 "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
40"On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

The law if fulfilled when we follow these two commands. If we try to impose other laws on people we are no better than the Judaizers of Jesus day.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Fundy i sense very much from your posts that you really do not know you are loved of God or if you do have a glimmer of His love for you you believe it's conditional .
Fundy is love for you His unconditional , if you believe it to be so, it (His unconditional love)will begin to transform your life.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,469,416 times
If you ever find yourself at the point where you are starting to doubt your ability to do something, just remember this one verse, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity