Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times

Advertisements

I pose this question to all ... What is it that Christ was referring to when he spoke of how the pharisees were inwardly filled with extortion and excess?

the verse is Mat. 23:25
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within(inward, spiritually) they are full of extortion and excess."

Extortion = Greek : "harpagē" -

1) the act of plundering, robbery
2) plunder spoil

Excess = Greek : "akrasia" -

1) want of self-control, incontinence, intemperance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:15 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times
Jesus accused the Pharisees of being false prophets, practicing apostate Judaism; leading many down the wrong path with their false religion.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-11-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
indeed one interesting thing to note, is that Yeshua taught "pure Torah" where the Pharisees sought to put everyone under their thumb with man made requirements, rules, regulations and much that was NOT in Torah. Judaism per se of the time, before it was more defiled (much like modern day christianity) it was much closer to that which Messiah taught. After all HE taught directly from the scrolls, not some KJV. Most christians today completely lose sight of this, and teach "another gospel" other than what the Messiah and HIS Talmadim taught. I see so much on this forum that makes me very sad to see how so many have literally written their own Torah's. They don't wish to do as HE asked, follow HIS commandments, they want to be disobedient and slide on some greasy grace train they contrived in their sorely misunderstood translations and teachings.

Make no mistake, Messiah's "purpose" was to bring to fullness and accuracy that which was brought to Moshe (Moses) and the Prophets. HE did not come to remove the truth in those words, HOWEVER HE DID come to intercede in the "Law of Sin and Death" and that was the ONLY law HE came to get in between (not do away with) which provided for the opportunity for those that believed in HIM, that they would have the "opportunity" via repentance to be spared the "Law of Sin and Death" (Romans 8). In case you're wondering the Law of Sin and Death was a Law carried out by the Hebrews which was if one were to "Intentially" sin upon the witness of 2 or more, they were to be stoned to death.

Also something most christians completely dismiss (in great error) is that the Messiah clearly stated HE came for (and is coming back for) the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel. That is NOT "the church". It is stated numerous times that if one is God's people they are Israel, native born or grafted in. Once you become a member of the commonwealth of Israel you are no longer a gentile (lost undone and without God) by definition. This isn't ME speaking.....it is all over scripture. If you don't agree, fine, but then you're basically saying you don't agree with the Word as it is clearly stated in Scripture. By the way, I fully admit I do NOT read the greek translations. I prefer the un contaminated Aramaic and Hebrew translations as it was originally written and intended to be understood from. Let's keep in mind the Messiah and HIS Talmadim were Jewish, read Hebrew and understood from a Hebraic mindset. Just the facts of the matter.........

Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Jesus accused the Pharisees of being false prophets, practicing apostate Judaism; leading many down the wrong path with their false religion.
Sounds like the church

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Jesus condemned the Pharisees and religious leaders for outwardly appearing upright and holy but inwardly remaining full of corruption and greed. When we are clean on the inside, our cleanliness on the outside won't be a sham.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Jesus condemned the Pharisees and religious leaders for outwardly appearing upright and holy but inwardly remaining full of corruption and greed. When we are clean on the inside, our cleanliness on the outside won't be a sham.
Indeed ... What i am asking though is specifically what that spiritual "harpagē" or theft/extortion and "akrasia" or inconstancy is. The word is very specific ... You generally conceded that the Pharisees where hypocrites and corrupt spiritually, but that is after all only a generalization. However the verse to which i have referred is specific as to the manner of corruption, which was spiritual theft and inconstancy.

What is spiritual theft? Who is the victim of that spiritual theft and inconstancy? How did it effect those victims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity