Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 AM

164 posts, read 490,588 times

Advertisements

Proverbs 16 verse 18 "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall".

There are several instances in the Bible where a proud/arrogant King/Leader has lost his position (and very life in some cases) because of pride. Herod in Acts chapter 12 stands out:

21And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.

22And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.

23And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

24But the word of God grew and multiplied.

Ole Herod left this world but the Word grew and grew.

Belshazzar of Daniel Chapter 5 was another one whose pride was his downfall. He was weighed in the balances and found wanting. He did not glorify God in whose hand his very breath of life was...and it cost him his life.

I look around at the world leader's today, and see the same pride and arrogancy. God is still on the throne.

Any more instances of pride come to mind?

walkin2e

"And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him." Gen 5.24
http://www.youtube.com/user/walkin2e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 AM

205 posts, read 821,145 times
I've been contemplating the idea of pride for a while. I was raised catholic, so I learned about pride as a deadly sin. Possibly the worst of the sins.

walkin2e, You are very correct about the arrogance aspect of it. I see a lot of people in power seem to be too proud of themselves to admit their mistakes. (See the Southwick Jog in MA.. MA was too proud to admit that their original land survey was incorrect, so they kept a chunk of Connecticut for themselves (Southwick, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia))

I've spoken with a number of priests and ministers on the subject, and everyone will agree that some kinds of "pride" are bad. The biggest differences I see are on what kinds of pride people consider to be acceptable.

I kind of believe that all pride is inherently destructive to society. People can be too proud to admit (and learn from) their mistakes. People can be too proud of their own methods to seek new knowledge. Too proud of their country / political party to admit the obvious flaws, and too proud to help change them.

I think you should love your country, love yourself, love your work, but should never let it go to your head and become pride.

Pride leads to arrogance, ignorance, and fear. It can lead to individualism and failure to work together. It can be productive, but only in the short term.

I'd love to hear opinions on this. I know there is a lot more to pride than what I am describing here, and am seeking to understand the concept better.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
I believe anyone who does not see themselves as a wretch and in need of a savior in front of a glorious, righteous and Holy God

Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I believe anyone who does not see themselves as a wretch and in need of a savior in front of a glorious, righteous and Holy God
Amen.

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. (Gal 6:14)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity