Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times

Advertisements

Mind you--no prosletyzing. I'm just having a simple debate. It's got a few feathers ruffled, and they really haven't been able to come up with an answer to my questions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...sm-murder.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...hristians.html

Old 06-16-2009, 02:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
I always find it funny when people in this forum complain about the "unbelievers" (boo) posting over here..

KD.. I have to ask..

Why would you need help.. I mean you've already stated "and they really haven't been able to come up with an answer to my questions."

So are you asking for help to try to ask your questions in a more coherent manner?

or

Are you wanting to draw more people into a fight that you've found yourself in and you aren't really sure how to get out of it.

Hint Hint (just stop posting in those threads).

Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
In one of the threads you asked on what defined agnostics' or atheists' moral standard, and whether there is any absolute morality.

The answer is ... it all depends on what you believe. Most people who are part of an organized religion will state that their moral standard is God-ordained and thus is objective because well, that's how He (She, It, whatever) wanted us how to live.

Atheists, on the other hand, do not believe in an absolute moral standard because they do not believe in a god. Some who do believe they have absolute rules which govern humans and yet are not God-ordained are fooling themselves, or at least drawing too many conclusions off commonalities among societies and other religions.

I, myself, am a humanist. I believe that many of the Christian and many other religions' codex of values are very similar because they're obvious -

1. Thou shalt not kill - You can't have tons of killing going on otherwise there'd not be enough people around, and your society would be overtaken by others who have a higher population (and greater advancement since if you're killing everyone well ... you'll likely stagnate). This one is obvious.

2. Thou shalt not be jealous of possessions or of others' mates (partners) - This again is obvious because in a patriarchal or matriarchal society you can't have wonton disregard for your lover's feelings, otherwise it'll likely result in lots of strife. Of course maturity has something to do with it too and this rule provides a guide for young ones.

As for whether you think a patriarchal / matriarchal society with single marriages is natural or not ... that's a different topic

3. Thou shalt not steal - Too much stealing going on would obviously lead to more drastic consequences because let's face it, we're human.

And I could go on. I think the ancient people realized that the best way for a society to prosper is to lay down some rules and ancient peoples had very poor knowledge of how their brains work, but were very smart in how to govern others through religion, so they imposed rules and guidelines.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Oh I don't know...figured if the users were posting in the "CHRISTIAN" forum...maybe you'd want to participate in a debate with atheists having their worldviews exposed as worthless.

Pardon me for thinking you'd care about your "faith".

Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Oh I don't know...figured if the users were posting in the "CHRISTIAN" forum...maybe you'd want to participate in a debate with atheists having their worldviews exposed as worthless.

Pardon me for thinking you'd care about your "faith".
Oh I don't know.. you worded it to sound like you were getting your butt handed to you and needed help to bail you out..

I mean.. if you the great kdbrich is "exposing their world views as worthless" then why would you need help?

Maybe if you were truly there to help you wouldn't carry that prideful chip on your shoulder as you espouse your greateness in shining the light on their "worthless" worldviews.. it makes me truly wonder.. why you are there. Is it for them.. or is it.. for you?

my guess is the latter.. clothed in the former..

Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Oh I don't know.. you worded it to sound like you were getting your butt handed to you and needed help to bail you out..

I mean.. if you the great kdbrich is "exposing their world views as worthless" then why would you need help?

Maybe if you were truly there to help you wouldn't carry that prideful chip on your shoulder as you espouse your greateness in shining the light on their "worthless" worldviews.. it makes me truly wonder.. why you are there. Is it for them.. or is it.. for you?

my guess is the latter.. clothed in the former..

I thought it would encourage some folks here. I suppose it was wishful thinking that the "Christianity" forum would actually have people posting here that cared to stand for something.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I thought it would encourage some folks here. I suppose it was wishful thinking that the "Christianity" forum would actually have people posting here that cared to stand for something.
But thats the issue.. you want to stand against and you haven't quite figured out different avenues. I'm sure you will.

I mean honestly.. your post equates to you going and taking a dump in somebody elses house and then going to your friends house to invite them to do the same.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Mind you--no prosletyzing. I'm just having a simple debate. It's got a few feathers ruffled, and they really haven't been able to come up with an answer to my questions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...sm-murder.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...hristians.html
Sorry, bro.

In my trademark style I'll have to say, "I don't give a lemur's missing link's DNA fragment's mutated bum of what those buggers think or have to say about christians/God/morality"

Let them spam away, man. All they seek is attention. You can see from the provocative postings that they have one thing in mind - to somehow appeal to the apologetic sense of the Christians and stamp the stupidity libel on them to offend them.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
It's not about numbers kdbrich.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
kdbrich, it appears that you are suffering from intellectual dishonesty. You claim that athiests and others have "worthless" faiths but do not have the intellectual ability to dissuade any, and resort to bashing and hate mongering. None of that will get you anywhere.

Instead, admit that you do not have all the answers and give up. Don't go on a recruiting spree to proselytize or somehow "prove" athiests are wrong.

What have you got against them anyway? Live and let live brother, treat others as you would have others act unto you and remember Jesus' own teaching that as he left a place that refused to hear him or his teachings, he dusted his sandals and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity