Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 AM

249 posts, read 473,536 times

Advertisements

You see I have a friend who is in france and over the pass several yrs when ever I mention someone and provided defining characteristics of them he asked are they Christian and I would answer yes or no. This last time when he asked was my nephew Christian I responded " I cannot know the heart of any one except myself and his relationship with god is between him and god" Are you asking does he go to church? Was he baptized? Yes to both. His response was to clarify " does he display with his actions that he is a Christian" Then I am thinking well you can display many action but still not be right with god. I asked him what his idea of being Christian. His response was
My idea of "Christian" is simillar to the idea of people who called
Jesus-Christ disciples for the first time "Christians
This is what I wrote to him:
It is rude to ask that question because your relationship with god is a personal thing and I cannot speak to the heart of another person. It is also rude because it seems like you have an idea of what being a christian is and that individual does not measure up to your standards of what it means to love god and jesus. 2. I asked: What is your idea of being a Christian you did not answer my question we do not live in biblical days can you answer me plainly.
"Do you think it is rude to ask this question Are they Christians"
I think maybe he has some idea in his mind and these individuals fall short of his definition. Please help I try to be understanding and tolerant because we are culturally very different. Do you think this is a french thing to continuously ask this question or am I overreacting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
I think he's being condescending.

If the French ask if someone's Christian, it's not really about inquiring, it's more like an "" factor.

The French have given up on Christianity loooooooooooooong ago.

If there is any religious place of worship which is functional in France, it's the mosque

My cousin married a French guy They say they "found love". The guy's probably agnostic or even atheist. They just got married in the Mairie and there was a namesake ceremony in the cathedral for the sake of a pestering family (mine)

Very soon they'll serve Halal Poulet au Riz or Cafe au Lait

Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
^
fabulous diagnosis. exellent credentials. imho.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 AM

257 posts, read 443,894 times
Now wait a minute here.....I know for a fact there are some very fine Christians in France who are sincere and very zealous for CHRIST!

What your friend is saying, I fully understand. He is asking are they real Christians, instead of the many pretend to be Christians which he no doubt has seen plenty of in his part of the world and which of course are every where in this country as well. He knows more than you give him credit for.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 AM

249 posts, read 473,536 times
Thanks for your responses
Is it right for me to judge someone a real christian or not real Christians... I am not perfect and I make mistakes do I have a right to deem someone an unfit Christian. I would think that those which are truly perfect have the right to deem some one unfit

Old 06-22-2009, 05:54 AM

43 posts, read 146,815 times
You might just tell them, " No, I don't have the Lamb's Book of Life laying around where I can get to it but I am sure Jesus will know when the time comes."

Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
Thanks for your responses
Is it right for me to judge someone a real christian or not real Christians... I am not perfect and I make mistakes do I have a right to deem someone an unfit Christian. I would think that those which are truly perfect have the right to deem some one unfit
We never judge someone's salvation but you can question it and if you are going to judge, let it be a righteous judgment. Do it out of love for their salvation.

I was dragged to Jesus by the Father; He called; He first loved me.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM

2,212 posts, read 543,406 times
Default Difinition of A Christian

In post by Aleecya:

"I asked him what his idea of being Christian. His response was
Jesus-Christ disciples for the first time "Christians "

The Definition of a Christian:

Living unto God, in the Power of Christ, as he lives in us.

Albert Finch
www.thekeys2kingdom.com

Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 543,406 times
Default Definition of A Christian

In post by Aleecya:

"I asked him what his idea of being Christian. His response was
Jesus-Christ disciples for the first time "Christians "

The Definition of a Christian:

Living unto God, in the Power of Christ, as he lives in us.

Albert Finch
www.thekeys2kingdom.com

Old 06-22-2009, 03:49 PM

257 posts, read 443,894 times
A true Christian has every right and duty to examine those around him or her to know wether or not they are really Christians.

But,yes, even true Christians can err possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity