U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 5,176,375 times

Advertisements

James 2
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,122,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
James 2
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

It is a statement of assurance that God will work his promise to the very end.

Phl 2:13 for it is God *Who is operating in you to will as well as to work for the sake of His delight.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,711,869 times
Nope, just like HE said (Rev 22) Blessed are they who DO MY commandments. Faith is an ACTION, not just a spiritualization or a thinking process.....it's what you DO. I could quote scripture till the cows come home. But for the sake of brevity just suffice it to say HE gives you the way, then you DO what HE has asked. You do do commandments to be preserved (saved) you do them for the blessings because you LOVE HIM. HE asked you to do it....do you love HIM?

Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM

James 2
15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Nope, just like HE said (Rev 22) Blessed are they who DO MY commandments. Faith is an ACTION, not just a spiritualization or a thinking process.....it's what you DO. I could quote scripture till the cows come home. But for the sake of brevity just suffice it to say HE gives you the way, then you DO what HE has asked. You do do commandments to be preserved (saved) you do them for the blessings because you LOVE HIM. HE asked you to do it....do you love HIM?
Of course you can quote scripture.

Ro 3:28 For we are reckoning a humanman to be justified by faith apart from works of law.

Ro 4:5 Yet to him who is not working, yet is believing on Him Who is justifying the irreverent, his faith is |reckoned~ intofor righteousness.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Of course you can quote scripture.

Ro 3:28 For we are reckoning a humanman to be justified by faith apart from works of law.

Ro 4:5 Yet to him who is not working, yet is believing on Him Who is justifying the irreverent, his faith is |reckoned~ intofor righteousness.
You cannot take one scripture and form a doctrine. We must be able to rightly divide the truth through the whole Word of God.

(2 Timothy 2:15)
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You cannot take one scripture and form a doctrine. We must be able to rightly divide the truth through the whole Word of God.

(2 Timothy 2:15)
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

It remains to be seen that I have done that. I have made a brief explanation that serves to resolve the appearance of a contradiction of two opposing sets of scriptures.

One set says faith without works is dead, the other shows that a man can be justified without works of the law.

It is simple, there is no formation of doctrine, it is explaining what the works concerning salvation actually is.

I have used scripture and very little commentary as scripture in truth sets us free.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,410,713 times
We are saved by faith alone...but not by a faith that is alone. It's simple, really.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM

Do we take credit for the works? No. The credit goes to God.

Ephesians 2
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:05 PM

8,989 posts, read 13,178,149 times
Quote:
James 2

James is saying, that works demonstrates that one has faith; it is evidence not action. If you claim to have faith then your works should be visible. A good tree bears good fruit; It is automatic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity