Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 12:12 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Calvin and Servetus: Dan Barker Twists History
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,157 times
While I don't care for this authors sectarian attitude toward others, heres some more about Calvin and
servetus in Calvin's own words:
The Fruit of Cain Multiplied: The Murderer John Calvin (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/falseteachers/johncalvin.htm - broken link)

Calvin had 55 people murdered for heresy. That's the same number of times Jesus calls himself "son of man" in the gospel of John. One poor man published a pamphlet that God was a Seven-fold Spirit rather than a Trinity. That deserved burning at the stake? These are the kind of things the 500 Years Calvin celebrators don't mention. Just go read some of Calvin's own words through the above url for yourself. See how much of the love of God the man walked in. You don't need a major gift of discernment for this one.

Let's all get these murders in context now, shall we? I could vomit!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
While I don't care for this authors sectarian attitude toward others, heres some more about Calvin and
servetus in Calvin's own words:
The Fruit of Cain Multiplied: The Murderer John Calvin (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/falseteachers/johncalvin.htm - broken link)

Calvin had 55 people murdered for heresy. That's the same number of times Jesus calls himself "son of man" in the gospel of John. One poor man published a pamphlet that God was a Seven-fold Spirit rather than a Trinity. That deserved burning at the stake? These are the kind of things the 500 Years Calvin celebrators don't mention. Just go read some of Calvin's own words through the above url for yourself. See how much of the love of God the man walked in. You don't need a major gift of discernment for this one.

Let's all get these murders in context now, shall we? I could vomit!!!
It kills me the self righteous attitude when talking about Calvinist but then you have audacity to point out, who has or hasn't the love of God?
Atheists do the same with Hitler's writings trying to prove he was a Christian.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It kills me the self righteous attitude when talking about Calvinist but then you have audacity to point out, who has or hasn't the love of God?
How can you even insinuate that James is speaking fom a self righteous point of view ?.
I would accept from you that he was only walking in the light he had received , but even that does not hold water , because you would then have to admit that God as been revealing more light from that point on right up to today and that would be to hard to stomach for a calvinist who thinks calvin is the interpreter of the scripture and not the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by pcamps; 07-17-2009 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How can you even insinuate that James is speaking fom a self righteous point of view ?.
I would accept from you that he was only walking in the light he had received , but even that does not hold water , because you would then have to admit that God as been revealing more light from that point on right up to today and that would be to hard to stomach for a calvinist who thinks calvin is te interpreter of the scripture and not the Holy Spirit.
very easily when people love to say so easily, who has God in their heart

Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM

I know of letters where Jefferson states he hates Christianity. Am I to assume Jefferson wasn't a Christian? Seriously these are irresponsible sound bytes tactics that the outside world loves to use against Christians

Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
very easily when people love to say so easily, who has God in their heart

Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Calvin was a murderer - Is murder a sin? wrong? Does it show love?

Does a good tree produce corrupt fruit? - God says thou shalt not kill - how can someone kill in Gods name and not show remorse afterwards and be doing Gods will?

Quote:
The burning of Michael Servetus . We now come to the dark chapter in the history of Calvin which has cast a gloom over his fair name, and exposed him, not unjustly, to the charge of intolerance and persecution.
Quote:
On October 27, 1553 John Calvin, the founder of Calvinism, had Michael Servetus, the Spanish physician, burned at the stake just outside of Geneva for his doctrinal heresies.
Let it be noted that the Calvinists of Geneva put half-green wood around the feet of Servetus and a wreath strewn with sulfur on his head. It took over thirty minutes to render him lifeless in such a fire, while the people of Geneva stood around to watch him suffer and slowly die! Just before this happened, the record shows:
"Farel walked beside the condemned man, and kept up a constant barrage of words, in complete insensitivity to what Servetus might be feeling. All he had in mind was to extort from the prisoner an acknowledgement [sic] of his theological error -- a shocking example of the soulless cure of souls. After some minutes of this, Servetus ceased making any reply and prayed quietly to himself. When they arrived at the place of execution, Farel announced to the watching crowd: 'Here you see what power Satan possesses when he has a man in his power. This man is a scholar of distinction, and he perhaps believed he was acting rightly. But now Satan possesses him completely, as he might possess you, should you fall into his traps.'
When the executioner began his work, Servetus whispered with trembling voice: 'Oh God, Oh God!' The thwarted Farel snapped at him: 'Have you nothing else to say?' This time Servetus replied to him: 'What else might I do, but speak of God!' Thereupon he was lifted onto the pyre and chained to the stake. A wreath strewn with sulfur was placed on his head. When the ******s were ignited, a piercing cry of horror broke from him. 'Mercy, mercy!' he cried.For more than half an hour the horrible agony continued, for the pyre had been made of half-green wood, which burned slowly. 'Jesus, Son of the eternal God, have mercy on me,' the tormented man cried from the midst of the flames ...."

In the book, For Faith & Freedom, which is cited above, there is a chapter titled: The Double Legacy Of Michael Servetus - It starts on Page 41. It is an excellent account from history that discusses the outrage from both Christians & non-Christians on the murder of Michael Servetus. Listed below are excerpts from this chapter. (even non-Christian see the hypocrisy in all this, yet Calvinists do not?)
"The Scriptures are full of enigmas and inscrutable questions which have been in dispute for over a thousand years without agreement, nor can they be resolved without love which appeases all controversies. Yet on account of these enigmas, the earth is filled with innocent blood...On controversial points we would do better to defer judgement, even as God, who knows us to be guilty, yet postpones judgement and waits for us to amend our lives. To kill a man is not to defend doctrine. It is to kill a man". - Sebastian Castellio (page 41).

"Some" Calvinists admit that Calvin was a murderer. - Vox

Jesus said you would know them by their fruit, and Calvins "fruit" (deed) is corrupt!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 PM

WoW

And thousands of christians literally follow the teachings of this guy

Old 07-17-2009, 05:42 PM

257 posts, read 443,894 times
Heretofore it has not fallen upon me to be anything other than a Christian, a follower of JESUS CHRIST.

I say not, "I am of Paul, or Cephas, or Apollos, or Calvin."

The glory be only to GOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity