U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
 
108 posts, read 405,359 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

And if it's by 'personal experience' or "faith" well people from all religions have those how do you know yours is correct?

And they cannot all be true since they explicitly deny each other for the most part.

If you agree you cannot know but you're just hedging your bet and picking something because of the consequences if you're wrong, logically your expected utility would be the same if you did nothing since there's a non-0 probability of changing your mind later. Alternatively, for all you know the deity will eternally reward nonbelief and punish believers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 6,130,258 times
Reputation: 644
Well, I personally do not assert my faith blindly as truth, my experiences are what they are. I like what I believe. Can't say much more than that. Other than I believe it's correct because it includes everyone in glory to God.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
 
434 posts, read 899,641 times
Reputation: 143
Oh i have tried before......No solid answer given!
look for yourself.

Why do you consider christianity to be right and other religions wrong?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM
 
Location: USA
17,115 posts, read 9,222,296 times
Reputation: 2332
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
And if it's by 'personal experience' or "faith" well people from all religions have those how do you know yours is correct?

And they cannot all be true since they explicitly deny each other for the most part.
I agree that not all are true. I haven't studied every other religion indepth by any means, but it seems to me there is quite a bit of common morality among them. The defining difference to me is that true Christianity is the only faith, that I know of, that isn't demanding that I do thus and such in order for God to love me. Instead it assures me that God loves me. Period. And that He intends to and will complete the process of saving me from myself and the world from itself. I, personally, don't see any hope for any of us without that guarantee and I don't see any other "god" wholly and absolutely invested in His creation the way the God of Christianity is. Through Jesus Christ He WILL bring all this seeming chaos to a perfect resolution that excludes no one. That is what I believe God has revealed to us through the Bible. Perhaps I'm wrong that the writings of other religions do not reveal such things but I'm not aware of them.

I suppose it appears like I've chosen the "religion" that offers the best case scenario. I don't personally think I've chosen anything ... just had my eyes opened to the glorious truth of it and can't help but embrace it. But you're obviously welcome to your opinion .


Quote:
If you agree you cannot know but you're just hedging your bet and picking something because of the consequences if you're wrong, logically your expected utility would be the same if you did nothing since there's a non-0 probability of changing your mind later. Alternatively, for all you know the deity will eternally reward nonbelief and punish believers.

It's not about hedging bets for me, although the consequences of denying the love of God in Christ in my life have been monumental and I regret every moment that I spent/spend unaware of that love. Will He reward me for believing in Him? He already is: He is working in me in ways I never would have thought possible. I find it difficult to comprehend that He would suddenly stop doing so and I expect the rewards to increase exponentially.

Anyway, just some thoughts. What about you, Austinguy? What is your belief system (if you care to share that) and what convinces you that it is correct?

Last edited by Pleroo; 07-14-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: New England
34,712 posts, read 23,159,860 times
Reputation: 2550
The great I AM said be still and know that i am God .

"This is what the LORD says--Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.


I am the Son of God. John 10:
I am the Resurrection. John 11:25
I am The Lord and Master. John 13:14
I am The Way, Truth & Life. John 14:6
I am The True Vine. John 15:
I am The Messiah, the Christ. John 4:
I am Alpha and Omega. Revelation 1:8
I am the first and the last. Revelation 1:17

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.



Pretty impressive wouldn't ya say
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM
 
434 posts, read 899,641 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The great I AM said be still and know that i am God .

"This is what the LORD says--Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.


I am the Son of God. John 10:
I am the Resurrection. John 11:25
I am The Lord and Master. John 13:14
I am The Way, Truth & Life. John 14:6
I am The True Vine. John 15:
I am The Messiah, the Christ. John 4:
I am Alpha and Omega. Revelation 1:8
I am the first and the last. Revelation 1:17

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.



Pretty impressive wouldn't ya say
why do you NOT get it???

EVERY God of EVERY religion says the exact same thing...That THEY are the only true God!

the question is what makes you think YOUR God is the right one!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: New England
34,712 posts, read 23,159,860 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
why do you NOT get it???

EVERY God of EVERY religion says the exact same thing...That THEY are the only true God!

the question is what makes you think YOUR God is the right one!!!
For the reasons i quoted

And every other god cannot make any of these claims

My faith does not come into . He's the Living God whether i believe or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 PM
 
152 posts, read 289,671 times
Reputation: 75
Great question to ask. Poor answers usually are given. I feel that belief in God can be used as a source of happiness/peace (or crutch) to get through tough times. How dependent the individual becomes on these feelings determines your answer. A positive feedback loop provides you the answer "Because I know it to be true..." then they reference scripture, their relationship with a God, etc. A negative feedback loop essentially causes the person to constantly question and eventually fall away (in my case). Unfortunately, they really do not know either way... no matter how much they "feel like they know".

I'm not sure how much help this response is to you. However, this is how I'm beginning to see it from my perspective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 7,064,047 times
Reputation: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
And if it's by 'personal experience' or "faith" well people from all religions have those how do you know yours is correct?

And they cannot all be true since they explicitly deny each other for the most part.

If you agree you cannot know but you're just hedging your bet and picking something because of the consequences if you're wrong, logically your expected utility would be the same if you did nothing since there's a non-0 probability of changing your mind later. Alternatively, for all you know the deity will eternally reward nonbelief and punish believers.
You will not get the answer you are looking for because no one can "prove" that the God of the bible does or does not exist with evidence that is sufficient for you. There is evidence, but some do not see it that way. Evidence only goes so far, and then it is a step of faith.

For me personally, I believe there is sufficient evidence that there is a God, and also there is sufficient evidence that the bible is a true and accurate history book and description of God. (Please don't make any assumption about what I believe though)

For you, maybe there is not sufficient evidence. That is OK. I believe God is good and will work it out in the end.

All we can really say is we have some evidence (which may or may not be that acceptable to everyone) and some faith (which proves nothing except to that individual). Look at it this way. How do you know Plato existed? How do you know Napolean existed and did the things history says he did? There is evidence, and there is faith.

A good starting spot is first to determine if its plausible that there is a God. We can discuss the evidence for the existence of God if you want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: New England
34,712 posts, read 23,159,860 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
why do you NOT get it???

EVERY God of EVERY religion says the exact same thing...That THEY are the only true God!

the question is what makes you think YOUR God is the right one!!!

The key to the evidence of the true and living God is His character and nature

God is Love
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top