Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Okay, well that's what I believe lifesigns but somewhere it has been termed thnetopsychism? (that is worse that the psych word) (I think that's it, although I am not sure of other things assoc. with it)

I 'll just say that I believe that the scriptures teach that the soul/body are dead until the resurrection!!

God bless.
Wow, I am not a good speller . . . how will I ever remember that when asked what I believe now???!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
to be absent from the body (when you are dead) is to be at home with the Lord
I believe that to answer this question you only need to think about the resurrection of Jesus, as his is our only guide in this matter.

jesus died and his body was dead for 3 days, but was his spirit also dead?....I think not.
The Bible tells us clearly that Jesus was not asleep because it tells us his time in the tomb was like the time Jonah was inside the whale.
Was Jonah asleep inside the whale?
The only answer is that while he was inside the whale he prayed and we have his prayer recorded...so sleeping he was NOT!
AMEN!!!!

Quote:
Oh yes!
Jesus is fully 100% human, as such he must pray to the same God all humans must pray to...

But the Son is also just as much 'God" as the father is God too.

"The Word was with God, the Word was God, the Word became flesh"

This is the teaching of the Christian church...

One God, in 3 persons...
YES!!!! AMEN!
Quote:
The QUESTION ONE:
What Christian Church teaches that "soul sleep" is true?

QUESTION TWO:
Aside from the cults, is soul sleep taught as being true in any Christian Church Y/N?

NO! It's not because the Bible which is God's Word teaches that when we die we are in the presence of the Lord. Like I said before, when I die I will immediately be in the presence of Jesus and I can't image anyone sleeping at a time like that!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
Wow, I am not a good speller . . . how will I ever remember that when asked what I believe now???!!!!!!
I'll just have to forget about the spelling and the pronounciation!!!

God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
NO! It's not because the Bible which is God's Word teaches that when we die we are in the presence of the Lord.
Yes, ILNC, we will be in the presence of the Lord, but we must be "awakened" to see Him!! This is when death will have no more power. Yeah!! God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times
From the grave He Rose Victoriously, that is exactly what we will do, rise again from death Victoriously.

That is His promise to us, he defeated death for us.

We also have to die, then be resurrected, scripture says the dead in Chirst will rise, and those alive will be caught up with Him. In order to rise, we must be dead first.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Yes, ILNC, we will be in the presence of the Lord, but we must be "awakened" to see Him!! This is when death will have no more power. Yeah!! God bless.
Nope, there won't even be a split second go by and I'll be seeing Him face to face and that will be glorious!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:39 PM

Right, ILNC because we won't know that we are dead and to us it will be as though no time has passed. It will be immediate to us. But I know that we won't agree on this, so again we must agree to disagree. We both believe that the scriptures present our belief...

Ready for another break and weekend of the Osmonds?

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-23-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
AMEN!!!!

YES!!!! AMEN!

NO! It's not because the Bible which is God's Word teaches that when we die we are in the presence of the Lord. Like I said before, when I die I will immediately be in the presence of Jesus and I can't image anyone sleeping at a time like that!!!!!!!

Yes we are and then judged. Those who accept Jesus [correctly...for a different topic] will see life, those who do not, God's wrath will remain on him\her

Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,386,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
No other place in the bible that i know of talks about this. I imagine that, the way the author of Hebrew's whoever it may have been refers to the subject, it must have been a common teaching in his day. However we seemed to a lost the specifics of it throughout the centuries.Perhaps some of the early church fathers had more to say on the issue but i really cant say. Worthy of further investigation for certain.
Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Old 07-24-2009, 07:44 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Captivity Led Captive (http://ezinearticles.com/?Captivity-Led-Captive&id=344581 - broken link)

the link is to a site that I tend to agree mostly with on the term - "he led captivity captive"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity