Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM

148 posts, read 244,128 times

Advertisements

YouTube - "I Used to be a Christian, But Now I Think It's Rubbish."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
No one can stop being saved, if they ever really are saved.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
I think christianity is no different to any other religion . I am sorry if this offends . It's as warped as warped can be .
It as 101 different ways of salvation , it's full of tradition and doctrines of men.

Though it says it's faith in Jesus that counts , it is full of add ons. When looked at through the bible it falls short in almost every department.

It is more concerned with what it believes than having compassion and reaching the lost through the sharing the good news of God's love and favor towards mankind.

It's focus is on sin and judgement and not on the Grace and love of God . It appeals to the flesh rather than the spirit of man.

It's as legalistic as Judaism.

It as no inclination whatsoever of Christ in you the hope of Glory.

Come from amongst it and be ye seperate saith the Lord.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,559,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think christianity is no different to any other religion . I am sorry if this offends . It's as warped as warped can be .
It as 101 different ways of salvation , it's full of tradition and doctrines of men.

Though it says it's faith in Jesus that counts , it is full of add ons. When looked at through the bible it falls short in almost every department.

It is more concerned with what it believes than having compassion and reaching the lost through the sharing the good news of God's love and favor towards mankind.

It's focus is on sin and judgement and not on the Grace and love of God . It appeals to the flesh rather than the spirit of man.

It's as legalistic as Judaism.

It as no inclination whatsoever of Christ in you the hope of Glory.

Come from amongst it and be ye seperate saith the Lord.
I agree with you to a certain extent. I believe there are Christians like that but there are millions of Christians all over the world who are doing more than you than showing love through a computer in Africa, China etc.....Have you met every Christian? Don't generalize the church.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent. I believe there are Christians like that but there are millions of Christians all over the world who are doing more than you than showing love through a computer in Africa, China etc.....Have you met every Christian? Don't generalize the church.
Fundy i really am not talking about christians so much as the the religious system that controls christianity.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:47 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,881,664 times
There is an ominous warning in Hebrews 6, about those who once believed and followed Christ, but then stopped serving Him and have fallen away:

4"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame".

I believe the "falling away" in this context means those who once believed, then who, for whatever reason, fell away...never coming back to repentence to serve the Lord. Why the warning in Hebrews? Is it there to just "fill up space" in the Bible? No, I believe it's there to warn those who believe, but then think they can ignore God and live however they want to live. We need to repent, while there is still time. (Like today)

I'm really concerned about this widespread doctrine that we "can't get unsaved, once saved". Why? Because... (although obviously not recommended) it can lead to this:
"it's safe to goof off and sin now", 'cause I got saved down at so-and-so's revival tent. I can't "get unsaved" now, so therefore I can live however I want...wherever I want...whatever...I'm 100% on the road to heaven...nothing I do or say can prevent it...so I'll just relax and enjoy the ride. In fact, I think I'll just go down to the local bar and have a few drinks with the boys, while I'm waiting...

Because of that warning in Hebrews, I don't believe we can "get saved" one day, then just spend the rest of our lives as a casual "nominal" Christian...serving self, never learning, never growing, never reading the Bible, never going to church, not praying, sinning just like the unsaved, etc. I see a big red danger sign when I hear someone say "we can't get unsaved", that we apparently now have an "insurance policy" that says we will definitely get to heaven, regardless of what we do after we say the prayer of salvation. My Bible says "work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling". Do I like that scripture? No, don't. That just doesn't sound like an easy "fun ride" to me (which I'd much prefer)...but it's there...I can't change it. (doesn't matter if I don't like it) But then, nobody said being a Christian is an easy ride...

I believe the Bible tells the truth, plain and simple, just the way it is...whether we like it or not. Do I personally like that scripture in Hebrews? Again, no, I don't. But it's there...

Do I personally know people who once believed, once served God? Yes, I do. One was even an elder, another was a deacon. Now they are right back there in the world, serving themselves. God is forgotten. And, needless to say, they don't go to church.

PS: The links below describes one of them. This man used to be a believer. He was even a deacon in his church, seemingly a God-fearing man. Now he is spending the rest of his life in the max-security prison where I work. When asked by my pastor, he acknowledges that God is real, that he was saved, that the Bible is real. He also expresses no remorse, no repentence, no conscious. He says matter-of-factly that he knows what awaits him in the afterlife. Authorities estimate he may have killed upwards of 37 people, and raped at least 30 others. So...I have to ask: does anybody out there think this man is still saved?

Robert Hansen, A Serial Killer in Alaska - ExploreNorth
Robert Hansen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 07-30-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,631,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
What church is that?

Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,559,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
What church is that?
The bride of Christ.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,309 times
Doing good in the world superceeds mans labels. Catholic to universalist, lets get to work.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:43 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,631,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Doing good in the world superceeds mans labels. Catholic to universalist, lets get to work.
Did you say work? Ahhhhhhhh.......

Half the protestants just dropped off the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity