Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

Oh We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

(Matthew 10:32)
32"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

We have heard this uttered by many a Pastor during an altar call on any given Sunday morning but what does this verse really mean? Does it mean to "give our hearts" to Jesus? Many false converts are fooled by this verse that if they go to the front and confess Jesus in front of other Christians then Jesus will confess that person to the Father, although how does one do that when the Pastor tells everybody to close their eyes? . I mean it's in scripture right? wrong. It's not that simple....errr...I mean it is simple but the road is hard. Jesus was telling this to the disciples to prepare them for persecution, a rough time was coming for them and if they persevered and always put God first over the world and their enemies, never waivering, not being ashamed or threatened even under the penalty of death then He will confess them to the Father. Confessing Christ is living an obedient life to the end for Him. (Notice they never quote the next verses (34-)

34"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35"For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;
36and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD.

It is not an easy road for many and using this verse for an alter call IMO is an insult to all the Christians who were martyred in His name

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 07-30-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times

Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM

LOL......yeesh....LOL

Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

(Matthew 10:32)
32"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

We have heard this uttered by many a Pastor during an altar call on any given Sunday morning but what does this verse really mean? Does it mean to "give our hearts" to Jesus? Many false converts are fooled by this verse that if they go to the front and confess Jesus in front of other Christians then Jesus will confess that person to the Father, although how does one do that when the Pastor tells everybody to close their eyes? . I mean it's in scripture right? wrong. It's not that simple....errr...I mean it is simple but the road is hard. Jesus was telling this to the disciples to prepare them for persecution, a rough time was coming for them and if they persevered and always put God over the world and their enemies, never waivering, not being ashamed or threatened even under the penalty of death then He will confess them to the Father. Confessing Christ is living an obedient life to the end for Him. (Notice they never quote the next verses (34-)

34"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35"For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;
36and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD.

It is not an easy road for many and using this verse for an alter call IMO is an insult to all the Christians who were martyred in His name

Amen! The "altar call" is the greatest of heresies, outside of universal reconcilitation, to ever come upon the inside of a church. Yes, some people are saved, in SPITE of it, but not because of it. Only the Holy Spirit at work in a man's heart can save him.

Got your "ticket" to heaven. Have you "done did that"?

I love how Paul Washer uses lingo to put forth his teachings.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Well i have had my fill of the institution called christianity , with all it's threats to believers and unbelievers alike to conform and yield to it's teachings . I certainly am not going to take it anymore . The biggest failing in my life was to be indoctrinated in my mind by it . But thanks be to God He is delivering me from it .

Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well i have had my fill of the institution called christianity , with all it's threats to believers and unbelievers alike to conform and yield to it's teachings . I certainly am not going to take it anymore . The biggest failing in my life was to be indoctrinated in my mind by it . But thanks be to God He is delivering me from it .
Charles Finney thought the same way you did.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:50 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Charles Finney thought the same way you did.
Who is Charles Finney ?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Still spreading your twisted scripture, Fundy . . . of course Jesus's message would be cause for strife and mayhem among the carnal savages of His time . . . they crucified HIM . . . didn't they!! It was a PREDICTION . . . NOT a REQUIREMENT or DESIRED result. To try to relate that to modern day expectations and desires of God is ludicrous!! The ability of fundamentalist literalists to reconcile completely savage motivations and descriptions of God with the TRUE NATURE of God revealed by Jesus is mind-boggling . . . and a real stumbling block to spiritual maturity.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,157 times
Charles Finney (1792-1872) popularized The Altar-Call which was invented by 17th century Methodists.

Think about facts concerning the title "Pastor." Catholic priest who became Protestant ministers were not universally called "Pastors" until the 18th century under the influence of Lutheran Pietists. When God tells the story of the Church (mostly the book of Acts) there is no "Pastor" in it!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
We survived the hair band era , guess we can survive anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity