Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Universalism goes against what the Christian church has taught for 2000 years.
The eventual restoration of all to God through Jesus Christ was a teaching of many if not the majority of the early church and has been held by believers down through time. God bless.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
God is also just and holy.
It always amuses me when people act as if Gods holiness or righteousness or sense of justice cancels out the fact that he is love sometimes.

Gods love is what tempers his justice. Gods love is ultimately what makes him righteous. And Though god is holy and humanity wicked, It is the fact that God is love that it is his good pleasure to be the savior of the cosmos. Thats why the glory of Christ was him being lifted up on the cross as THE atonement sacrifice for all humanity. With God all things are possible, and his mercy is far greater than the mercy of men, and it never fails.

David asked ...

Quote:
Psalms 77:7-9

"Will the Lord cast off for ever?

And will he be favorable no more?
Is his mercy clean gone for ever?

Doth his promise fail for evermore(Hebrew "dowr"-generation, used twice)?
Hath God forgotten to be gracious?

Hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies?"

What do the scriptures tell us as an answer?

Quote:
Lamentations 3:31-50 (King James Version)

For the LORD will not cast off for ever:

But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.

For he(God) doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.

To crush under his feet all the prisoners of the earth.

To turn aside the right of a man before the face of the most High,

To subvert a man in his(Gods) cause, the LORD approveth not.
And in 2 Sam we read ...

Quote:
2 Samuel 14:14
For we must needs die, and are as water spilt on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again; neither doth God respect any person: yet doth he devise means, that his banished be not expelled from him.
Gods mercies endure beyond what we can comprehend or perceive(Hebrew word - olam) according to Psa 136:22-26 ...

Quote:
Isa 49:13
Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.

Hosea 2:23 (King James Version)

And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.

Romans 9:25 (King James Version)

As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

Psalm 145:9 (King James Version)

The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

Romans 11:36 (King James Version)

For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

Gods Judgments destroy the carnal man/old man of the flesh and quicken/renew the spirit man/new man ...

Quote:
Psalm 119:156 (King James Version)

Great are thy tender mercies, O LORD: quicken me according to thy judgments.
Men cause other men to suffer for suffering sake alone. God does not(Lamentations 3:31-50). Men do these terrible things to one another. You guys need to think about what it means when God says his ways are not mans ways. As new creatures we are filled with his divine spirit and he convicts us of his ways of mercy and love. The wisdom of God given us by the spirit of his word certifies his love and merciful judgments. Though he destroy the flesh with his fiery judgments yet he will never the less quicken the spirit through the same fire. Though by his hand heaven and earth pass away, he will make (as) new the heavens and the earth and all things that dwell therein with the same hand. Gods Judgment is always for the ultimate purpose of reconciliation.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
The eventual restoration of all to God through Jesus Christ was a teaching of many if not the majority of the early church and has been held by believers down through time. God bless.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to prove that from scripture.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Kdbrich, I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that eternal hell was, God bless.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
With God all things are possible, and his mercy is far greater than the mercy of men, and it never fails.
Amen. God bless.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The last 3-4 posts prove my point. You guys are overrunning this place.

Universalism goes against what the Christian church has taught for 2000 years. Despite the verses you guys may post saying God loves everyone, there are clear and specific references to people gnashing their teeth in hell.
The gospel of universal reconciliation is over running the longtime folly of the established creed which claims to be Christianity. The vast majority of early Christians believed in the eventual reconciliation of all things. Universal reconciliation was taught in four of the six theological schools of early Christendom before Alexandria burned and Rome became the center of the faith under Constantine, when he established it as the state religion in the 3rd century. Even for a century or more after that universal reconciliation was the most common held interpretation of the gospel from scripture. Many of the early Church father were vocal in their fervent faith concerning this truth. Only after the 6th century did the pagan concepts of hell and damnation come to rule the mind of the orthodoxy. By that time the entire roman Church was filled with pagan believers who began to twist the gospel and add in their pagan celebrations and rituals.

What we are experiencing, not only here on city-data, but throughout the entire Christian world is the beginning of a new spiritual reformation, the further purging of the pagan and legalistic false doctrines of the established denominations from the true Gospel of Christ as the savior of all men. You really should get use to it ... because its only gaining strength ...

Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The gospel of universal reconciliation is over running the longtime folly of the established creed which claims to be Christianity. The vast majority of early Christians believed in the eventual reconciliation of all things. Universal reconciliation was taught in four of the six theological schools of early Christendom before Alexandria burned and Rome became the center of the faith under Constantine, when he established it as the state religion in the 3rd century. Even for a century or more after that universal reconciliation was the most common held interpretation of the gospel from scripture. Many of the early Church father were vocal in their fervent faith concerning this truth. Only after the 6th century did the pagan concepts of hell and damnation come to rule the mind of the orthodoxy. By that time the entire roman Church was filled with pagan believers who began to twist the gospel and add in their pagan celebrations and rituals.

What we are experiencing, not only here on city-data, but throughout the entire Christian world is the beginning of a new spiritual reformation, the further purging of the pagan and legalistic false doctrines of the established denominations. get use to it because its only gaining strength ...

Baloney. Universalism is a heresy from the pit of hell.

• "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide, and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter by it. 14"For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it," (Matt. 7:13-14).
  • "For many are called, but few are chosen," (Matt. 22:14).
  • "And He was passing through from one city and village to another, teaching, and proceeding on His way to Jerusalem. 23And someone said to Him, "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?" And He said to them, 24"Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25"Once the head of the house gets up and shuts the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock on the door, saying, ‘Lord, open up to us!’ then He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know where you are from.’ 26"Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets’; 27and He will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you are from; depart from Me, all you evildoers,'" (Luke 13:22-27).
  • "And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel, "Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, it is the remnant that will be saved; 28for the Lord will execute His word upon the earth, thoroughly and quickly," (Rom. 9:27).

You guys are not Christians. I'm sorry. The video recently posted on the author of the Shack demonstrates that. He denies a basic teaching of the Christian faith.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
The last 3-4 posts prove my point. You guys are overrunning this place.
Proving your point that Christ has no place here?

Quote:
Universalism goes against what the Christian church has taught for 2000 years.
That Christ is the saviour of all mankind?

Quote:
Despite the verses you guys may post saying God loves everyone, there are clear and specific references to people gnashing their teeth in hell.
Your gnashing your teeth right now.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I think you'd be hard-pressed to prove that from scripture.
Paul taught it throughout the new testament and it is mentioned in various aspects of the old testament as well.

However, history provides ample evidences of this fact in the writings of the church fathers and their competitors ... Perhaps you should take the time to study the historical evidences of these facts before you attempt to refute them in vain?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You guys are not Christians. I'm sorry. The video recently posted on the author of the Shack demonstrates that. He denies a basic teaching of the Christian faith.
The video didn't demonstrate anything, kdbrich. God knows who are His. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity