Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 07:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-bell-not.html

I hate it when people are deceptive. In the above thread the OP says Rob Bell and his song "Love wins" is not about Universalism. As a musician I can assure you it does.

Then the latest issue of TIME comes to our house and lo and behold, guess what the cover story is: Mr Universalism aka Rob Bell.

TIME Cover: No Hell? Pastor Rob Bell Angers Evangelicals - TIME

Gads! IMO the LORD appreciates honesty and forthrightness. Not deception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In the above thread the OP says Rob Bell and his song "Love wins" is not about Universalism. As a musician I can assure you it does.
What does your being a musician have anything to do with interpreting someone's theology?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times
AFAIK Rob Bell did not write a song called "Love Wins", but He did write a book with that title.

The word universalism is just a label that many people use as a negative slander. Often "Universalism" is defined to mean you will get to heaven regardless of what you believe or do. This is the "many path" or "any path" to heaven belief.

However, Rob Bell is clear that people only get to heaven by Christ. That is why he says he is not a universalist. I'm sure this was pointed out in the other thread...

Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
AFAIK Rob Bell did not write a song called "Love Wins", but He did write a book with that title.

The word universalism is just a label that many people use as a negative slander. Often "Universalism" is defined to mean you will get to heaven regardless of what you believe or do. This is the "many path" or "any path" to heaven belief.

However, Rob Bell is clear that people only get to heaven by Christ. That is why he says he is not a universalist. I'm sure this was pointed out in the other thread...
Yes, people tend to confuse Christian Universalism with 'Unitarian Universalists' which is an assembly where people of all faiths meet together for common worship. They're not the same thing.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,605 times
i felt that the UR's(or whatever you'd like ot be called feel free for any suggestions,but for now its Ur) aproach to understanding God and even the bible were more in the lines of a loving/caring/honest/patient/understanding and Love......and many of His innumerale energys

i feel that if i had no choice but to become a christian,and go to church,then id have go along with the UR@s approach,its better for the mind,when christians stop holding on to fear they will realise that there was nothing to fear in the end and that,whether we like it or not,we have to go trough many,many,many bodys on the material plane and untlii we become pure(i for one am way off)its only then that we can enter back to the eternal spiritual dimension where weves always bben.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Actually, if you're speaking of Unitarian Universalists, their focus is not on heaven at all. Many don't believe in heaven, nor in immortality or even in God, in the sense that Christians do. Unitarian Universalism and Christian Universalism haven't much in common, really... it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Actually, if you're speaking of Unitarian Universalists, their focus is not on heaven at all. Many don't believe in heaven, nor in immortality or even in God, in the sense that Christians do. Unitarian Universalism and Christian Universalism haven't much in common, really... it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Indeed you made my point here Pleroo.

"Universalist" is just a label that many people use to prejudge and dismiss someone.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-bell-not.html

I hate it when people are deceptive. In the above thread the OP says Rob Bell and his song "Love wins" is not about Universalism. As a musician I can assure you it does.

Then the latest issue of TIME comes to our house and lo and behold, guess what the cover story is: Mr Universalism aka Rob Bell.

TIME Cover: No Hell? Pastor Rob Bell Angers Evangelicals - TIME

Gads! IMO the LORD appreciates honesty and forthrightness. Not deception.

Actually the sad thing I see is people who jump on this band wagon with Christians against Rob Bell as you have and Universalists who actually think that Rob Bell calling himself a universalist is something they should hope for.

If you hate deception then I assure you that you should look a little deeper into both sides of the issue and you will find that the deception has nothing to do with universalism in the first place.

It has to do with who's eyes are on what, can you find the problem or will you simply continue riding the wagon.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
I think some people don't want to understand the difference between Univeralists and Unitarians. It's been explained so many times on these threads!! How many more times does it have to be explained??

BTW, false accusations are also a type of deception.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity