Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times

Advertisements

There is a church down the road that has a wednesday night prayer meeting that I have been tempted to go to-it's a Baptist Church and I'm a Methodist. We don't have prayer meetings, but I am kind of tempted to go as I would like a service during the week. My wife doesn't want to, daughter would probably go as she went with a friend there and knows people. Her friend moved recently so she feels like an outsider a little bit. I figure if we both go, then so much the better. It's not far, just down the road from us. I feel if the Lord wants us to switch, then we will. Not worried about that-however my wife thinks otherwise. Does anyone believe this is a good idea or not?

Last edited by hdwell; 08-05-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 PM

173 posts, read 328,424 times
Baptist, Methodist ... what's the difference? ...

You westerners seem pretty hung up on denominations. I'd say just go and knock yourself out!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
Baptist, Methodist ... what's the difference? ...

You westerners seem pretty hung up on denominations. I'd say just go and knock yourself out!
Well, actually it is a big deal in the bible belt deep south. I'm not so concerned as is my wife. Worship is much the same in both churches. The only differences are just the names of the denominations and some of the beliefs. I told my wife that I could be easily one as the other. Since I don't want to start a misunderstanding between my wife and me, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced such?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Hdwell, just my opinion here..The church is not a building with a name on it, or with people within who only worship with people with the same names on their buildings..Church is the body of Christ.

If we are Christian we are the Church.For me, I am comfortable worshipping anywhere that people are gathered together in His name. I think there are members of Christs Church in every denomination, non denominations and religions that have named themselves and their buildings..

I think God is big enough and wise enough to place members of His church wherever they are needed

Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM

173 posts, read 328,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Hdwell, just my opinion here..The church is not a building with a name on it, or with people within who only worship with people with the same names on their buildings..Church is the body of Christ.

If we are Christian we are the Church.For me, I am comfortable worshipping anywhere that people are gathered together in His name. I think there are members of Christs Church in every denomination, non denominations and religions that have named themselves and their buildings..

I think God is big enough and wise enough to place members of His church wherever they are needed

Amen ...

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM

320 posts, read 449,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
There is a church down the road that has a wednesday night prayer meeting that I have been tempted to go to-it's a Baptist Church and I'm a Methodist. We don't have prayer meetings, but I am kind of tempted to go as I would like a service during the week. My wife doesn't want to, daughter would probably go as she went with a friend there and knows people. Her friend moved recently so she feels like an outsider a little bit. I figure if we both go, then so much the better. It's not far, just down the road from us. I feel if the Lord wants us to switch, then we will. Not worried about that-however my wife thinks otherwise. Does anyone believe this is a good idea or not?
Wow! You never know where God is leading you, it may very well be a calling for you to be there, you'll never know sitting at home dwelling on it, I say Go! pray and see where God leads you to next, it maybe that someone needs specific prayer that only you have the gift to encourage. Go and pray and if the shoe fits and is comfortable for you then it's a perfect fit, you'll be where God leads you to be, before you go ask in prayer and then decide! God can Only use people who make themselves availiable.

God Bless! Grace and Peace.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 PM

Thank all y'all for being positive and supportive about this. I feel much better and am looking forward to next wednesday.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,787 times
I say go and visit, I really enjoyed my Wednesday night bible study, also at a Baptist church.

I visit different denominations all the time.

Agree with everything Miss Blue said above!!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 AM

309 posts, read 511,966 times
HDWell I did the exact same thing only instead of pondering upon it I went and loved it. I was in a Church of Christ where I would go in the mornings and I would go to a Pentecostal church at night. The feeling was so different as you could imagine. I have since attended a Pentecostal church much more than I have the Church of Christ I was at. Occasionally I will still go to the CofC but I feel like I have to hold back a lot to keep from offending people in that church that doesn't believe in some of the things I believe in such as raising holy hands. I will do that in a CofC but not like I would in a Pentecostal. You should go and experience it the Lord may be calling you to that church.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
Do you all think god will have separate places in heaven for all the different denominations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity