Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well trettep Rebuking James and John for asking top call for fire from heaven and telling them they know not what spirit they are of , Is this physical ?
How do you reconcile this with Elijah doing the same thing Jesus rebuked James and John for ?.
The whole Old Covenant was a TYPE of the things spiritual. It was an earthly covenant. Those things in the Old Covenant are to lead us to Christ. This is why the Letter (representative of the earthly) had to be removed. It only served to bring us to Christ. The letter became the subject of worship and therefore the thing created became "God" to the Israelites.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The whole Old Covenant was a TYPE of the things spiritual. It was an earthly covenant. Those things in the Old Covenant are to lead us to Christ. This is why the Letter (representative of the earthly) had to be removed. It only served to bring us to Christ. The letter became the subject of worship and therefore the thing created became "God" to the Israelites.

Paul
I agree
But how is the Elijah calling down fire from heaven a type of Jesus rebuking James and John for requesting to do so ?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I agree
But how is the Elijah calling down fire from heaven a type of Jesus rebuking James and John for requesting to do so ?
Elijah calling fire down from heaven is just a earthly type that really represents a spiritual message. When the disciples wanted to call down fire it was because they were still of the earthly understanding and was not able yet to see the Spiritual message in those things. They were still thinking as even the Pharisees did from an earthly perspective.

Paul

Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Elijah calling fire down from heaven is just a earthly type that really represents a spiritual message. When the disciples wanted to call down fire it was because they were still of the earthly understanding and was not able yet to see the Spiritual message in those things. They were still thinking as even the Pharisees did from an earthly perspective.

Paul
Sorry trettep that does not wash with me at all . Yes they were still thinking from an earthly perspective without doubt, but Elijah actually calling down fire from heaven and Jesus rebuking James and John for asking to do the same is not a type.

A type for me is God dwelling in a earthly tent and we being the tabernacle of God.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,134 times
Quote:
Sorry trettep that does not wash with me at all . Yes they were still thinking from an earthly perspective without doubt, but Elijah actually calling down fire from heaven and Jesus rebuking James and John for asking to do the same is not a type.

A type for me is God dwelling in a earthly tent and we being the tabernacle of God.
IMO

Elijah calling literal fire down from heaven is a type of Christ (and His firstfruits) calling spiritual fire down from heaven.

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire

Disciples misapplying this is a type of us misreading OT (and even NT) according to the letter and hating our enemies and wanting to destroy them literally.

2 Corinthians 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which [vail] is done away in Christ. 15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart

Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I expect the majority doesn't understand Bible Typology.

Paul

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
IMO

Elijah calling literal fire down from heaven is a type of Christ (and His firstfruits) calling spiritual fire down from heaven.

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire

Disciples misapplying this is a type of us misreading OT (and even NT) according to the letter and hating our enemies and wanting to destroy them literally.

2 Corinthians 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which [vail] is done away in Christ. 15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart
Bob you said basically the same thing Paul did.

The case in point is Elijah actually called down fire from heaven that consumed the prophets of Baal.

John and the boys wanted to do the same thing to those who opposed them.

Jesus said ye not not what manner of spirit ye are of BECAUSE John and the boys wanted to do the SAME thing Elijah did.

The only way your typology works is if what Elijah did was only symbolic and not an actual happening.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Paul
What is that supposed to mean ? I understand bible typology i do not assume i have the final word on types and shadows and neither do you , the type and shadow only works only if it is a type and shadow , one calling fire down, and disciples being rebuked for asking to do the same is not a type or a shadow of the 2 incidents.

Last edited by pcamps; 08-12-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:

Paul
Paul it is those type of statment that show forth an eleitist attitude, you might not have ment it that way, but it surely comes across that way.

It would be no different than if I said to you after you saying that does not mesh with what I see.

Yeah, I expect the majority doesn't understand spiritual truth.

Can you not see how eleitist that type of statments sounds?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Bob you said basically the same thing Paul did.

The case in point is Elijah actually called down fire from heaven that consumed the prophets of Baal.

John and the boys wanted to do the same thing to those who opposed them.

Jesus said ye not not what manner of spirit ye are of BECAUSE John and the boys wanted to do the SAME thing Elijah did.

The only way your typology works is if what Elijah did was only symbolic and not an actual happening.
I agree, I believe Bob was saying what I said also. But it is still symoblic. There is nothing in the meaning of something being symbolic that requires that an actual event doesn't happen.

The Israelites killed their Passover Lamb every year but that didn't remove it from being symbolic of Jesus Christ just because it actually happened.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity