Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well than how do you know he wrote the one on freewill?
pneuma, regardless of who wrote the one on free will - it is a good document that explains it well.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
It IS a persons choice to accept/recieve Christ as Saviour and make him Lord of your life as Romans 10;8-12 specifically indicates how. What I would call 'Co-Saviour Theology' is Roman Catholicism whereby it takes Christ ""PLUS"" something/someone extraneous . An example would be :

Mary can save, doing good works are efficacous toward ones eternal salvation, doing penances can expiate/erase sins , relying on Purgatory to clean One up of residual sins leftover after death , trusting in other faithful Catholics good works contributions into a common 'Treasury Pot' for the living to draw from to help get saved (CCC1477) , and other alleged ways.....all of which are not true . Nothing but the blood of Jesus saves...him alone , and nothing else can help. (Eph. 1:7) . In fact, its a slap in Christs face to think you can contribute toward your own salvation . Regards.
A person chooses but it is isn't THEIR person that chooses. In other words if I accept Christ, it isn't me accepting Christ but Him in me. I'm incapable of accepting Christ by my OWN will.

Paul

Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
pneuma, regardless of who wrote the one on free will - it is a good document that explains it well.

Paul
Well I have not read it so I cannot give any judgment for or against it.

But even the two quotes you provided seem contradictory to each other.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Well I have not read it so I cannot give any judgment for or against it.

But even the two quotes you provided seem contradictory to each other.
Pneuma, you don't have to read it all. The Bible is full of scriptures that show that God works our wills to accomplish His will whether it be the righteous or the wicked, doesn't matter. He is the Potter after all.

Paul

Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Pneuma, you don't have to read it all. The Bible is full of scriptures that show that God works our wills to accomplish His will whether it be the righteous or the wicked, doesn't matter. He is the Potter after all.

Paul
According to your understanding of scriptures, not mine.

Speak to a potter sometime and they will tell you they are always responding to the clay as it runs every which way because the clay has a memory of its own and always want to return to it former state of a lump.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
According to your understanding of scriptures, not mine.

Speak to a potter sometime and they will tell you they are always responding to the clay as it runs every which way because the clay has a memory of its own and always want to return to it former state of a lump.
But what does the Bible say:

Rom 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Paul

Old 08-15-2009, 02:08 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
A person chooses but it is isn't THEIR person that chooses. In other words if I accept Christ, it isn't me accepting Christ but Him in me. I'm incapable of accepting Christ by my OWN will.

Paul
Please elaborate on this , because it is ones own volition whether or not to accept Christ . No one can come to Christ except if The Father draws them...but, each Person can decide whether or not to take the final step. God does the drawing (prevenient grace as Tozer calls it) , but it is still left up to us because God gives us Free Will.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Please elaborate on this , because it is ones own volition whether or not to accept Christ . No one can come to Christ except if The Father draws them...but, each Person can decide whether or not to take the final step. God does the drawing (prevenient grace as Tozer calls it) , but it is still left up to us because God gives us Free Will.
RVlover, ALL Good things belong to Christ Jesus. He has the copyright on all good works. If you were to choose God then that would be a GOOD thing. So while it comes by our volition it isn't our will at all but His.

I said in another post that if I told you I could jump 50 feet into the air you wouldn't believe me. But if I then showed you by jumping 50 feet in the air you would then believe. So who gave you the belief? - me. Same with Jesus. If it is Jesus that got you to believe then just because your believing doesn't mean you own any of the process.

Paul

Old 08-15-2009, 02:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
RVlover, ALL Good things belong to Christ Jesus. He has the copyright on all good works. If you were to choose God then that would be a GOOD thing. So while it comes by our volition it isn't our will at all but His.

I said in another post that if I told you I could jump 50 feet into the air you wouldn't believe me. But if I then showed you by jumping 50 feet in the air you would then believe. So who gave you the belief? - me. Same with Jesus. If it is Jesus that got you to believe then just because your believing doesn't mean you own any of the process.

Paul
What you are saying then, is, we cant even take credit for our own Faith...and to that i agree with you on. God gives us the Faith to believe. However, unless WE make a conscious decision to actually recieve unto ourselves the finished work of Christ on the Cross for payment of our sins, then we remain UNsaved yet with a good dose of Faith . In other words, it is possible for someone all of their life to be given faith to believe from God ...yet to still miss out because they never appropriated that faith toward salvation. God in his love is constantly drawing people , urging them, convincing them, moving on them....yet many will still refuse. Agree ?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
What you are saying then, is, we cant even take credit for our own Faith...and to that i agree with you on. God gives us the Faith to believe. However, unless WE make a conscious decision to actually recieve unto ourselves the finished work of Christ on the Cross for payment of our sins, then we remain UNsaved yet with a good dose of Faith . In other words, it is possible for someone all of their life to be given faith to believe from God ...yet to still miss out because they never appropriated that faith toward salvation. God in his love is constantly drawing people , urging them, convincing them, moving on them....yet many will still refuse. Agree ?
But it isn't YOU that is making the decision to receive God. It is NEVER us that makes that decision. Our carnal minds HATE Him.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity