Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
It's a necessary part of the process, but it is not part any man's process of being conformed to the image of Christ. YOUR sinning is not an ingredient to you becoming like Christ. YOUR forgiving a sinner is. But you need somone to forgive in order to forgive.
Which imo is the same thing as saying in order to have someone to forgive in order to be made like Christ we first had to be disobdeient.

Which to me is still saying in order to become like Christ we need to first be disobedient (or at least Adam had to be disobedient in order for us to become like Christ)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with you or Clarke making theological or other arguments to try to prove that there should be a parenthesis there in the translation. I'm just trying to make it clear that he's not saying there are some physical parentheses in the greek text that went unnoticed.

I'll take a look at it.
Ok but parentheses are not just () they are commas wherever possisble.

[SIZE=3]Replace parentheses with commas wherever possible to continue the flow of the sentence. This simple guideline will cut your use of parentheses by at least 50 percent. Preferred example: John, who is Joan's brother, drove us to the airport. Technically correct, but not preferred: John (who is Joan's brother) drove us to the airport.[/SIZE]

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Which imo is the same thing as saying in order to have someone to forgive in order to be made like Christ we first had to be disobdeient.
No it's not the same. Your forgiving me makes you like Christ. You don't need to sin to do that. You just need me to sin.

Quote:
Which to me is still saying in order to become like Christ we need to first be disobedient (or at least Adam had to be disobedient in order for us to become like Christ)
Yes there have to be sinners. I already agreed to that. But sinning doesn't make anyone like Christ.

In Genesis it says that man has become like Us, knowing good and evil. So knowing good and evil is one part of becoming like God.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Ok but parentheses are not just () they are commas wherever possisble.
"In actual Greek texts from the era when Koine Greek was used as a day-to-day language, Greek was written with no punctuation. The words ran together completely, with no spacing or markup. Accents, breathing marks, spaces, and other punctuation are added at a much later time, making texts easier to read."

Koine Greek/2 - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
No it's not the same. Your forgiving me makes you like Christ. You don't need to sin to do that. You just need me to sin.

Yes there have to be sinners. I already agreed to that. But sinning doesn't make anyone like Christ.

In Genesis it says that man has become like Us, knowing good and evil. So knowing good and evil is one part of becoming like God.
So how is Adam made like Christ if he was not disobedient first?

And we can know good and evil in Christ/life, we did not have to experience in to understandit.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
"In actual Greek texts from the era when Koine Greek was used as a day-to-day language, Greek was written with no punctuation. The words ran together completely, with no spacing or markup. Accents, breathing marks, spaces, and other punctuation are added at a much later time, making texts easier to read."

Koine Greek/2 - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks
I already know this, but obviously Clarke seen something in the Greek that he called a parenthasis.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
  • Psalms 2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, 3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us
We already knew they were gather together against Christ to kill him from Acts and other scriptures. How does this indicate anything about whether God predestined it?

To me this passage is conclusive:
  • Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
That passage is not as conclusive as you think

Septugent

The Lord also is pleased to purge him from his stroke. If ye can give an offering for sin, your soul shall see a long-lived seed:

Which to me would indicate that the Lord was pleased to raise Him from the dead.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
He probably isn't. But that still doesn't mean the disobedience was what made him like Christ.

Quote:
And we can know good and evil in Christ/life, we did not have to experience in to understandit.
What your saying implies to me that "take up your cross and follow me" was not really necessary for us to do. We could have just known about it without experiencing it. But if Christ in the flesh is our example to follow.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 AM

Good night Scott...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 AM

Myqoute

Quote:
He probably isn't. But that still doesn't mean the disobedience was what made him like Christ.

So your saying disobedience was a part of Gods plan for Adam, without Adams disobedience we would not know the difference between good and evil etc.and without the knowledge of good and evil we could never be made in Christ’s likeness.

Therefore, as Gods plan is one, which is to make man like Christ, we have 3 steps according to your understanding that must happen.

Step 1 Adam had to be disobedient.

Step 2 through disobedience we learn about good and evil

Step 3 through learning of good and evil we become like Christ.

Therefore, to become like Christ we had to know good and evil, and the only way (according to your understanding) we can learn about good and evil is through disobedience, does that not equate with disobedience being a part of the process to make us like Christ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity