Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Oakback why wouldn't you want to accept the whole of salvation is in God's hands ? .He's the author and finisher of it.
the final assent of the intellect must come from the will, assisted by divine grace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Mat 7:21
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven {will enter.}

What is the Father's will? Regardless of your best put forth falwed theology, those who do not do the will of the Father are lost and will not enter into His Kingdom.
Yes, as long as they are only calling Him "Lord Lord" but not doing the will of the Father.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Thanks for the info. Paul. God bless.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:57 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Hi folks,

Here is my take on Matt 7:21. I think we UR believers need to be careful to not make this verse say something its not really saying. Yes, some will not "enter the Kingdom of Heaven". But what is this talking about exactly? Here is what I posted on another thread:

Matt 7:21-23 is saying pretty much what it sounds like. But where does it say anything about eternal hell? It doesn't. The one key thing to understand about Matt 7:21 is to understand what the Kingdom of Heaven is. This is actually talking about the reign with Christ. Not everyone will reign with Christ. Look at it in the Young's literal:

Matt 7:21 `Not every one who is saying to me Lord, lord, shall come into the reign of the heavens; but he who is doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens.

Not everyone shall come into the reign of the heavens. The unbelievers will miss out on that. Instead, they will be subjects of the Kingdom. This is not eternal hell. It is outer darkness however:

Matt 8:12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

See what it says in Young's literal:

Matt 8:12 but the sons of the reign shall be cast forth to the outer darkness -- there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of the teeth.'

See that? The subjects of the kingdom can actually be called the sons of the reign. They are not reigning, but they are reigned over. "Sons of the reign" doesn't sound like eternal damnation to me. Even "subjects of the kingdom" doesn't sound too bad - certainly this is not eternal hell, although it may be tormenting for a time.

All this is not forever. Christ's reign (along with those reigning with him) only lasts until all have been subjected to God, and all enemies have been destroyed (the last enemy is death).

1 Cor 15:25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.

Then everything is finally under God and God is all in all (1 Cor 15:22-28).

The error of eternal torment (or annihilation) is to assume the "subjects of the kingdom" who are "gnashing their teeth" are in "eternal hell".

--

Eventually no one will be reigning in the Kingdom, but all will be subject to it.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Again, the verse is Present Tense. I'm hoping you would put more seriousness in the discussion and provide more then a "because".

Paul
It is hard to put too much seriousness in this discussion, honestly, because you are blinded to the Truth. It is a present tense, because Jesus is talking to the people. It is just as present tense for those people, as it is for US! Otherwise we may as well throw out the rest of the new testament, because it was mostly present tense.

Do we discount the Words of our Savior because He was having a direct discussion? Absolutely not. You think you can not do the will of the Father, and still enter into His Kingdom? Good luck with that.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:06 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
the final assent of the intellect must come from the will, assisted by divine grace.
I have never read anything such as this before

16It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy

15For he says to Moses, I will shew mercy to whom I will shew mercy, and I will feel compassion for whom I will feel compassion. 16So then [it is] not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God that shews mercy.

How many do you think he may have compassion and mercy ?

It as to be all men if He desires all to be saved

who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I have never read anything such as this before

16It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy

15For he says to Moses, I will shew mercy to whom I will shew mercy, and I will feel compassion for whom I will feel compassion. 16So then [it is] not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God that shews mercy.

How many do you think he may have compassion and mercy ?

It as to be all men if He desires all to be saved

who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
I'm sure many folks will disagree with my belief that my relationship with God is not unlike any other, in that it is reciprocle.
I could site other verses that defend my opinion, that's not difficult.
But scriptural ping pong is not my game.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I'm sure many folks will disagree with my belief that my relationship with God is not unlike any other, in that it is reciprocle.
I could site other verses that defend my opinion, that's not difficult.
But scriptural ping pong is not my game.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
That fair enough Oakback but i would like to see the scriptures that defend your opinion . Promise i want get in ping pong with you .

Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
That fair enough Oakback but i would like to see the scriptures that defend your opinion . Promise i want get in ping pong with you .
Scriptural ping pong has been played regarding these issues since the fourth century by much better minds.
I really don't want to re-hash the council of carthage, and I'm not up to a debate on pelagians, semi-pelagians, molinism or Thomistic doctrine.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Scriptural ping pong has been played regarding these issues since the fourth century by much better minds.
I really don't want to re-hash the council of carthage, and I'm not up to a debate on pelagians, semi-pelagians, molinism or Thomistic doctrine.
Respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity